Fill or new set??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mavsgirl11

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to the world of getting my nails done. I originally got a set of acryllic nails with white tips in order to try and combat a bad nail biting habit I've had for a long time. My nails have not looked this great in a long time and I've been getting a lot of compliments.

There is no doubt in my mind that my nail tech did a great job but I've had these for a month and a half now. I've been putting off going back and getting them re-done/fixed as I've been really busy but as my natural nail is growing, it is pushing up the acryllic to the point where my nails are just too long.

As I have the white tips on them (it's not nail polish/paint) - I am not sure if I should tell the nail tech to fill my nails in the area where I've had natural growth and cut off the white tips and possibly get new ones painted??

I'm really not sure where to go from here. I am not sure if it will be the most cost effective to get the tech to remove the nails I have and get a new set or fix the ones I have, if it's possible. I want to try and keep these up as long as I can now that I know that I can actually handle and enjoy having them. But I also do not want to be taken advantage of and told to purchase something that was not needed.

So what would be the best course of action -- I want to keep the french manicure style. I am feeling like I did not do a good job on upkeep this first time around and I wasn't given any advice by the nail tech either.

Thanks!!!

There are two ways you can go here:

Option #1: Soak off your acrylics and put on another full set.
Option #2: Shellac - If your nails are now healthy, I think this is your best alternative. Shellac is a power polish that last 14+ days when applied by a qualified professional. It applies like a polish and is cured in a UV lamp. It promotes nail growth, strengthens your natural nail and does no damage at all. Every 14+ days, the Shellac is soaked off and then reapplied. That simple. No buffing or scraping the nail plate...nothing like that at all.

Since both acrylics and Shellac require a commitment approximately every couple of weeks, the choice is yours; but you must COMMIT. Going a month and a half is really too, too long.

Go back and see your Nail Tech. She has done a great job for example 6 weeks without Maintenance with you being an ex biter is very good. Maintenance should be at least every 2-3 weeks and sometimes less for a biter. Your choices are as above but your Nail Tech can better advise when she sees your nails and of course when you are advised the choice is yours. I don't think Nails are expensive but they do need commitment from the client to keep them in tip top shape. They work out cheaper than a night at bingo! There is a fantastic feel good factor with nails after all we have to look in the mirror for hair or makeup but we can always see our fingers and toes. Personally I would not infill any client of mine after 6 weeks especially a biter. My nail business is exactly that, a business and not a hobby :)

Do the french manicured nails have the same upkeep?? I've always wondered how they would actually fill these since if they trimmed the top it would cut off the white tip. Or would you recommend getting a solid color if I was planning to come in every couple of weeks and get them filled.

Also, what would you recommend purchasing in order to soak my current nails off?

I believe you're talking about pink and whites. We call it a rebalance. We reapply the white...what we call the smile and then fill the pink. Your nail tech knows exactly what to do. Talk to her.

Also, DO NOT SOAK OFF YOUR OWN NAILS! See your nail tech for this.

Honestly, WE know what to do. If you think your nail tech was good, go back to her and talk to her and she'll answer all your questions. You're over thinking this. SHE KNOWS WHAT TO DO. This is what we do for a living. Talk to her.

Go and see your Nail Tech she can advise you when she sees your nails and explain to you the services and soak off for you if you require :)

Latest posts

Back