Finance For Non Finance Managers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bingfairy

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

I went for a job interview last week which was a bit of a long shot, but if you don't try you don't get. To cut a long story short I didn't get the job the reason being my lack.of knowledge in all things finance.

My question is where did you lovely geeks get knowledge of basic finance (payrol, profit and loss, etc)? Ive seen a couple of on-line courses but not sure if if they are the right ones?

Thanks a million xxx

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

Anyone? X

Most of it is pretty self explanatory and not too difficult to pick up, but have you looked at your local college? They usually offer evening and sometimes weekend classes in loads of different subjects. Online courses can be good but, I think, it's good to have someone actually on hand to be able to go through everything with you. If there's anything you're even slightly unsure about, they can talk it through with you until you understand.

I completed an accounting class, as well as many others, as part of my business management courses (which I did for fun) - it was great, I really enjoyed it :)

Thank you, i will check the local college! Numbers aren't my strongest point :(

To be perfectly honest, it doesn't really matter what your mental arithmetc is like - with all financial statements (profit and loss, cash flow balance sheets, etc), everything is written down for you, it's all in black and white. You just need to know where all the numbers go.

Basically, if you can follow a recipe, if you can read these posts, then you will be able to understand basic accounting. Don't worry - you use a calculator and can set up spreadsheets (I did one of my assessments by setting up a spreadsheet and inputting different formulas whilst others did it on the paper we were given... but then I love spreadsheets :o).

Also, the lecturers WANT you to pass so if you need the help, they will be more than happy to sit with you till you get it :)

Thanks Hun, will check it out xx

Latest posts

Back