Find painting nails so hard!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*RHI*

Reaction score
Morning everyone!
I have a big problem. When I'm doing manicures or pedicures on clients at college I dread doing the polish bit because I'm so rubbish at it. Is there a special technique to applying polish and what are the best nail products to use. Doing French mani polish is the worst! I'm on Level 3 at the minute so don't have to do mani and pedi assesments anymore but I still want to be able to do a good service.

hi rhi ,i always found that the polish used in collage is old and thick, creative polish is very good. did you not get told as part of your manicure training how to apply polish correctly. usually in 3 clean lite strokes, middle and one either side and two coats. as for french polish i always go across the nail from sidewall to sidewall in one stoke.
hope that might help:hug:

you took the words right out of my mouth rach! lol:hug:

lol! just to add you are right what you say, you need quality products, thick and glupy(sp) polishes definately wont help!
:hug:

i would get to creative and buy some polishes, it makes it 100 times easier with a decent polish :green: college polishes are the worst in the world :lol: i remember i took my own to college, especially when i did my itec as polishing is a huge part of your mark ! and michaelangelo himself wouldnt be able to do anything with the polishes college supplied :lol: , hth dee x

thank you everyone! i was taught how to do it but i find it hard to actually carry out on a client, it must be a confindence thing. i will practice it on my mum, shes got lovely long nails i can ruin! lol

well the old saying is PRACTISE MAKES PERFECT!!!:hug:

does any1 know the creative nails website

Here you are:

post_old.gif
Hyperion Group UK Distributors of CND, Nimue, Academie

is the solar range part of CND, i dont no anything about CND so can any1 explain 2 me all about CND and the products that are most used in nail salons plz

i know exactly how u feel i'm in college and can do a really good manicure in good time, but when it comes to painting i start shaking like a women possessed!:S i just think practice makes perfect!

Thank god I'm not the only one! lol I love doing mani's and pedi's especially when it comes to the massage but like you said, doing the nail polish gets me all nervous. It's worse when they want a dark colour and it goes everywhere! But I am still a student and our clients know were still practicing so I shouldn't get all worked up about it. I'll get there....one day lol

i know exactly how u feel i'm in college and can do a really good manicure in good time, but when it comes to painting i start shaking like a women possessed!:S i just think practice makes perfect!

if you hold the bottle on the left hand, and the brush on the right, balance your little finger of your right hand on top of your left little finger and it stops you shaking. Hope i've explained that well enough, makes a massive difference. Also when doing the sides, i do a very slight curve at each side, as if you were doing a very small half circle. Hope that makes sense! :hug:

Thank god I'm not the only one! lol I love doing mani's and pedi's especially when it comes to the massage but like you said, doing the nail polish gets me all nervous. It's worse when they want a dark colour and it goes everywhere! But I am still a student and our clients know were still practicing so I shouldn't get all worked up about it. I'll get there....one day lol
Practise, practise & practise. I'm not saying keep practising a bad technique though, lol. I agree that you should refer to Geegs tutorial. Print it off and work whilst referring to it as you are pracitsing.

I used to be terrified of French manis and they are second nature to me now. I don't bat an eye lid anymore and the end result is so rewarding for myself and the client.

I do still need to work on colour polish so understand where you are coming from. It's getting the colour neatly along the cuticle line and side walls with out touching them. Tricky.

You do need to use a good quality polish which is not thick and gloopy. Can you not provide your own at college for your use only?

if you hold the bottle on the left hand, and the brush on the right, balance your little finger of your right hand on top of your left little finger and it stops you shaking. Hope i've explained that well enough, makes a massive difference. Also when doing the sides, i do a very slight curve at each side, as if you were doing a very small half circle. Hope that makes sense! :hug:

I was taught this way and i STILL shake :). Polishing is all about practice and the more uptight it makes you the more you forget to breathe.

As i shake so much what i tend to do is place the first bead halfway down the nail and gently push it towards the cuticle area like a soft shuffle that way i dont bleed into the cuticle, as for the sidewalls with my first coat i leave too large a gap so i can see where i need to go and again on the second coat i breathe deeply and slowly paint the sidewalls.

I'm a nightmare in competitions you can physically see my hand wobbling all over the place and i have to take a deep breath and concentrate, it does become easier though with time.

Yeah I think I'm gona start bringing my own polishes because the ones at college are pants. What kinda polishes and mani and pedi products would you recommend, I've heard alot about CND.

Hi Rhi

I have to agree with what's been said, its definitely practice makes perfect.

Having said that, it certainly makes a difference which polish you use. The professional brands certainly are easier to apply, have a much better brush, and a much better longevity of wear.

Creative polishes are fabulous, as are OPI, Zoya and China Glaze.

HTH's

If you keep to any of the professional brands you should be fine eg. OPI etc...

I use Essie Blanc and mademoiselle for french or CND creme puff and negligee and CND or OPI for overall coverage.
HTH

Latest posts

Back