Finish Filing Technique?.....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finish filing.... what did you learn when first training???

• Total voters

Sparklepink

modges r us..we r coolio!
Reaction score
I have been teaching today.... and it never surprises me how many techs where never taught how to finish file properly or were even shown how to hold a file and how to use it to its full potential

were you shown a technique for your finish filing when you first trained??

I have been taught various techniques from college and eventually with my educator for my finish filing
I now get the best results from the EzFlow techniques I have been taught and my student today picked it up so easily it has totally changed how she works for the better :D

Im interested in how everyone else files...
do you use all of your file when working or do you only end up wearing one part of them out?...
Are there areas you really struggle with?...
do you bevel when finish filing?...
do you work back and forth with your file or just in one direction?....

Jess
xox

Last edited:
I ticked other because I felt I struggled with everything when I first started and the finishing techniques just went by in a blur. I just got totally confused as there seemed so much to learn.

I didn't really have a defined method until I did some training with ezflow and then it all clicked for me. I now stick to their methods, love the files and it only takes me a fraction of the time. I'm sure it's partly because I'm a little bit more confident now overall, not that I haven't a long way to go, but I'm happy with what I've been taught and it works for me. :)

I now get the best results from the EzFlow techniques I have been taught and my student today picked it up so easily it has totally changed how she works for the better :D

So are you going to share it with us?:green:
What is the technique that you were taught and use?

I ticked other, because in my Foundation, we got shown how to refine the nail, then buff away scratches with the Koala, apply oil and bring to a shine with the other side of the Koala.

When I went back to do Skillbuilding I was shown other methods of bringing the nail to a high shine and to apply the product in such a way that minimal filing was needed!

I didnt feel the Koala buffer brought the nail to a high enough shine!

xxxx

I was taught a filing technique. But first it is all in the application. One of my clients asked me why i needed to file the nails after I applied the acrylic since they already felt smooth. (To her!) I use 100 for the first filing then 180 then apply cuticle oil and buff with the white block and the yellow block. then send the client to wash and scrub. then apply buffing cream and use the 3 or 4 way block to buff to a high shine. Sometimes i use my Chamois buffer. depends.

Last edited:
I ticked other as i think i was shown but when i finished my training i got myself into bad habits. I was not using all of my file i was struggling so much with re balance i went on an Ezflow maintanence day in picked up so much it was like it all became clear .I feel i have improved in all areas the Ezflow filing technique is great my nails are so much better since my conversion.

were you shown a technique for your finish filing when you first trained??

Yes, but it wasn't as good as the finishing technique I've learnt since.

Im interested in how everyone else files...
do you use all of your file when working or do you only end up wearing one part of them out?...
I use the full length of my abrasive wherever possible, more equals less IMO, if I'm using the full length then I'm doing less work iykwim.

Are there areas you really struggle with?...
Sometimes I struggle with small nailbeds, I can't seem to "get in there" as well as I can with normal/wider nails, I find I have to work harder to get the same finish.

do you bevel when finish filing?...
I try to do as much with my brush as possible re thin product in zone 1, it can be difficult with gel though and if the free edge isn't thin enough then I do bevel, although to be honest, we probably do it without even realising it.

do you work back and forth with your file or just in one direction?....
Both, it depends on which part of the nail I'm working on :green:

Isn't it strange how we have to 'think' about what we do sometimes to be able to write it down?...
but we just 'know' what we're doing when we are doing it and don't have to think twice about it lol

I have always taught my own method to achieve a perfect finish but I

concentrate more ALWAYS on perfect product placement and

brush technique to make the perfect nail structure with the

brush then finishing is just shining up what you have made ...

so much more efficient, less work, better, stronger, longer-

lasting results for the client too.

I clicked other because although i was sort of taught how to file, it was never that great.

Since training with EZ Flow, i have been shown a great way to file to get the glass like finish, plus it means i get the same shape to all my nails and find i produce a much better quality of nail too.

All my clients have noticed the difference since doing my masters, so it is well worth keeping up with the training.

I use all of my file, i also do the great bevel filing technique which gives me such a great shape.

I clicked other because although i was sort of taught how to file, it was never that great.

Since training with EZ Flow, i have been shown a great way to file to get the glass like finish, plus it means i get the same shape to all my nails and find i produce a much better quality of nail too.

All my clients have noticed the difference since doing my masters, so it is well worth keeping up with the training.

I use all of my file, i also do the great bevel filing technique which gives me such a great shape.

Just a question ... why are you shaping with your file and not your brush?? Doesn't it make more sense to shape the finished nail with good brush technique? Less dust, less work and much less boring and mauch faster? I would have thought a master artist would make perfect nails with their brush and leave filing to the novices! This is only a question .. I'm interested to know why one would concentrate on filing rather than making perfect nails with technique.

IMO it doesnt matter how well you apply a nail it will need some refining
yes, if you get your application spot on you have to do a lot less filing but it will still need something
with regards to EzFlow you may not need to use your grey wolf file (150 grit) and go straight to your grey fox (180grit) before buffing
I use my fox files far more than my grey wolves now, i mainly use my wolves for side wall and free edge shaping as i have less to refine i do not need the higher grit

Jess
xox

Latest posts

Back