First acrylic removal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clareh

Level 3 hairdresser, nail and brow tech
Reaction score
I’m doing case studies towards my acrylic qualification. This was my first removal since the course and I did not apply it. I cliped and filed with 240 grit all over, soaked in acetone (Sally’s) for 10 minutes with a Bain Marie method . Scraped gently, filed ,soaked..this went on for 1 hour and a half! I could not seem to get the last part off and there were still remnants on there though the nail bed was smooth enough for polish application. I stopped as I was worried about the natural nail and surrounding skin though she had no discomfort and I left her happy. Was I doing something wrong? I was expecting to be there 3/4 hour tops!

Attachments

• C364EF95-296A-433D-9BFB-826AD62B5F98.jpeg
    C364EF95-296A-433D-9BFB-826AD62B5F98.jpeg
    658.9 KB · Views: 65
Do you know what product she had on?
Also it’s more effective to soak a cotton pad in acetone, apply to the nail and then wrap in foil. This can considerably quicken the process and also minimises skin exposure to acetone.

It was definitely acrylic as the client described L&P application though couldn’t remember what packaging. She had extensions and I am sure I was told to soak as the best method. Personally I would rather avoid soaking as I agree it’s surely more damaging! Even with the 240 file I could not get the remainder off :-(

Also remember every time you take the nails out of the acetone they harden back up again so you restart the process. Better to leave them immersed, you can see through the acetone and can see the product melting off.

Personally I've never had any success soaking off acrylics with the individual foils method, I find the acetone evaporates too quickly

You don't necessarily need to soak off every tiny scrap of product, sometimes its better to leave a thin layer for some strength in the first few days.

Thanks for the reply! What IS the average time for removal?

Thanks for the reply! What IS the average time for removal?
Time will very much depend on how much bulk you remove prior to soaking.

I’d remove bulk with a 100 grit file and wrap nails.
By the time I’ve wrapped the last nail, the first is ready to remove.

Your not alone hun, it took me 1 1/2 hours to get my gel overlay off. Monotonous soaking, scraping, filing! I was shattered by the time I’d finished!

You could try a 180 grit file xxxx

Offly Fast from CND has oils in it and so it prevent dehydration and evaporation. Soaking is not the kindest method but if you are soaking it is best to warm the acetone up and cover the hands with a towel when immersed in acetone x

180 grit file (facepalm) I think I might have found part of the reason why- definitely going to try all the tips above and see what works best. Thanks so much you guys! Xxxx

Latest posts

Back