First attempt at free hand French manicure!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephrae82

Reaction score
Well After putting it off for ages I did a French manicure on my chum. She has lovely long nails. Only problem
I had was the pink colour. I use orly polish and it seemed quite streaky even though I just did it in 3 sweeps. It's quite a creamy polish. Any tips? When I applied topcoat on it it seemed to make it a but worse x

56abd1fb-f453-3c68.jpg

arghhh I dread doing french with normal polish after using shellac!!!! can never get it to look good and stress because i know i cant clean up mistakes. No advice for you im sorry..i need some hints too!!

Well I've just ordered the orly gel so I might be the same once I start doing them with that. X

Ohhhh what colour's have you ordered orly gel fx is fantastic it's the system I use and it stays on for more than 2 weeks fab!

Tbh I think the main problem with French is usually getting a good smile line?

I think if your problem is the pink I'd recommend either another coat of pink or a different brand. did you use a good base coat?

I am do lazy with French. I never use pink, only white and topcoat!

Your pic looks brilliant other than the subtle streaks but the smile line is lovely x

You should have used CND Ridge Out first as your base coat.

The fact that the client has ridged nails will have made the polish 'pool' in between the ridges helping to make the streakyness look even worse.

Our job as manicurists is to create as perfect a look as we can for the client and part of that is to create as smooth a surface as possible to paint on.

I have used many a ridge filler, but Ridge Out is by far the most effective I have ever used for creating a smooth surface.

I used the orly prime time and then I used orly binder, 2 costs of orly pink then the white then orly polishield.

I have got a purple, pink and the nude and white so far. Got plenty guinea pigs waiting for a polish lol.

Oh binder is meant to say bonder x

I think its a good first attempt!
I hate pink french polishes as most of them go streaky, theres only a few I love.
In terms of constructive critism try and get the white the same thickness and a little more smiley.
If i need to tweak of polish I use a small flat nail art brush dipped in a little polish remover and gently swipe it along the smile line x

Thanks for the comments ladies :)

Jemma.... if I did that wouldnt it take my pink polish off below.... excuse me if im being blonde lol

Any tips for when you do a manicure on short nails? I tried another friend today and her nails were really short and I got the white polish all over her finger. I obviously just cleaned it all up at the end and it looked fine, but anyway to try avoid this slightly? Or will it just come with practice?

You should have used CND Ridge Out first as your base coat.

The fact that the client has ridged nails will have made the polish 'pool' in between the ridges helping to make the streakyness look even worse.

Our job as manicurists is to create as perfect a look as we can for the client and part of that is to create as smooth a surface as possible to paint on.

I have used many a ridge filler, but Ridge Out is by far the most effective I have ever used for creating a smooth surface.

Geeg,

Are there any products you can use on Shellac clients to get rid of ridges. I have a lady who has really bad ridges and unfortunately not even the 2 colour coats and top coat was enough to stop them showing through.

I'm taking it that Ridge Out can't be used before a shellac treatment??

Lisa x

Latest posts

Back