First full set of tips!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Emma*

Reaction score
Hi All!

Please bear with me here - this may be a longy!

Did my first full set of tips on REAL nails on Sat. managed to acost a victim from work.

Did them - took 4 hours!!!! I know that's ages but am not bothered because that will reduce in time. Was very pleased with myself because she had ski jump nails which were absolutely tiny and they were a bit tricky. She was really pleased with them and when she left she loved them. I told her if she had any problems to text me and I would take stuff into work to sort any problems at lunch. :D

Every time my text went yesterday I thought it was her and was dreading it. I expected at least one to have come off because there was an air bubble that I knew of! Sure enough at 6.30 the dreaded text came to say that the nail had come off. But that's not it! She can't cope with them and wants them off. Can I take some stuff to work so she can remove them. :grr:

They're gel and it's not soak off so to cut a long story short I now have to remove them tonight!!! Complete confidence knock! :sad:

I don't really know if I'm annoyed with myself (for one of them coming off) or for her for not giving them a chance after I spent 4 hours on my Sat afternoon on them. They're not even long they are really short and neat.

Sorry to go on but felt I needed to vent my anger and couln't think of any better place to do it! ;)

Emma, thats a real shame especially as you spent so much time on them, dont let it knock your confidence though. You know what you did wrong which made that particular nail come off, so you can resolve that next time.
It does seem that your friend hasn't really given them a chance, but i suppose she may have her own reasons for that, i know when i first had nail enhancements, they took a bit of getting used to!

Try to stay positive and keep practicing!

Rachel x

HUn she has given you the chance to practice not only with a set but a removal too. People who are heavy handed and very active with their hands sometimes just dont like them, it does happen occasionally so don;t worry about it.

Yes, I did think that there must be a positive in here somewhere and I will get to practice taking them off. My husband said I should try to persuade her to keep them on a bit longer but I would rather just take them off now otherwise she might pick them, ruin her nails and never let me near them again.

At least this way she might be persuaded to be guinea pig at a later date!!

Thank you both for making me feel better!!! :Love:

Hi Emma
I am still not overly confident with doing nails but as the others have said, don't let this knock your confidence. You have to practice and I believe that when things go wrong you get a chance to fix them and learn from that experience and you have done that already - so well done you!
Good luck with your future sets, and don't worry, you sound like you are doing great already.
Lorraine :D

Hi oh what a shame!

Do you think they could be a bit long? if so maybe you could file them down and make them shorter for her then maybe she could manage them a lot better.

I am only saying this as my first set were too long my friend asked me to take them off but I said to her that I would make them as short as possible and this worked she kept them on for a week then I had to take them off as she lost a couple.

Caz xxx:D

Hiya!

I suggested that to her this am and she didn't seem keen. They are already very short!! I think she just doesn't like the feel of false nails. :rolleyes:

Hey ho. Fell much better though for all the support you guys have given me on here. Can't imagine my life without the nail geek now!!! :lol:

Sometimes they can feel a little tight for a couple of days. This can be due to excess adhesive sticking the tip to the skin, but also because of the shrinkage of some products. I always say to clients they may feel a little odd for a few days but it all settles down and you get used to having them. But like I say you just get the odd one that can't stand having them on no matter what.

Oh well I am glad you feel better it happens to us all I am still at the stage when I do a set of nail I wait for that phone call:Scared: .

Caz xxx

EmmaMc said:
Hiya!

I suggested that to her this am and she didn't seem keen. They are already very short!! I think she just doesn't like the feel of false nails. :rolleyes:

Hey ho. Fell much better though for all the support you guys have given me on here. Can't imagine my life without the nail geek now!!! :lol:

when i had my very first set of enhancements put on there was 4 of us at a friends house and the nail technician came to do all of us.
3 years later 2 of us never go without enhancements
1 kept them up for a year or so
and the 4th one ripped them off within the hour because she hated the feeling.
some peple hate the feeling of enhancements no matter how short they are...just one of those things hun

Well done for doing your first set of nails on such difficult nail beds as you described!:hug:

You have just started and you will meet all types of clients. Some who will keep their nails beautifully, some who wont etc!

With the practise thing... I know you are keen, but try to find people who are genuinely interested in nail enchancements. The ones who are not wont take ANY care of them, like my Mum!:lol:

You might have a friend who likes makeup, beautiful clothes, nails etc. Well, just do her nails for a fiver ... she just might appreciate it when you do her nails...!

Goodluck and keep practising... :lol:

Thanks! I did do some gel overlays on my Mum actually and she didn't look after them. She does floristry work part time around her full time job and they just got ruined. Now I just tidy them up for her and keep them looking neat.

You are so right though. Whenever I've had enhancements I've looked after them. You have got to want them!

Just ordered some Akzentz soak off gel. If this happens again at least they'll be easy to remove. I'm dreading all that filing tonight! :|

Just thought I would give you an update now that I've taken the nails off. :wink2:

They came off so easy with filing and a bit of acetone and the nails underneath look nicer than they did before I put the tips on on Saturday! :suprised:

I've just put some clear polish on them. Am really chuffed because I obviously did a good job and there's not a trace of gel.

Thanks to everyone for all their nice comments today. I was really (unnecessarily) worried about this last night! :o

The girl has even said that she would like to have natural nail overlays when I do my Bio Sculpture course - Hooray!!!

Thought you guys might like to hear about my experience...last day of my Creative Foundation course, 8 years ago, I did a full set on my stepdaughter for my exam (things were different then), I was so chuffed with them and flying really high that night at not only having passed, but scored 100% in my theory test...boy, was I excited...so I called her to thank her for being my model...when I asked if she liked her nails - 'Och I didn't really like them so I took them off' was her reply...if you only knew how deflated I was after that.

BUT in the 8 years since then she has had her nails done in so many different places by so many different people and NEVER kept a set for more than 2 days...please don't take it personally like I did, the person you do tomorrow or the next day will love their nails and become a lifelong client. We're all rooting for you:hug: .

Thats great news Emma, im glad it all turned out ok for you.:biggrin:

Good for you, Emma. There is nothing more disheartening than spending hours doing nails, the client goes home, is bored in front of the tv and picks them off. I have done numerous sets for my daughters friends (usually at a reduced rate too) for a 'special occasion' and once the occasion is over - so are the nails. Its ten times worse when you know you have done a brilliant set that you are really proud of, have people asking who done them for her and she picks them off, or says they fell off (which is usually a lie). Like Andrea said, maybe sound out who REALLY wants a professional set done, rather than an 'over the counter' set, and stress that you need her to be your advertising, encouraging her to call if she needs a repair done, rather than she let one break or get damaged and then she picks the rest off. I dont know how many times I have heard 'well one broke, so I picked the rest off'... I would rather they called me and I repaired it free of charge, whilst I am still learning.
HTH
Debbie.

:rolleyes:Someone please help me
I carried out my first set of Gel extensions on Saturday, I was so pleased with them, she even tipped me £5. However, she called me today to say that she has lost 4. I feel physically sick, I was so careful in everything I did. I am worried that they were a little too long and maybe I should have one shorter with the free edge.
People told me it would be like a roller coster but this feeling is horribe, I feel so deflated. Has anyone else ever felt like this? Do you think I have rushed in to soon working in a salon when I only completed the training 2 months ago, surely everyone has to start somewhere.
Any advice would be greatly received

SP x x

it sounds like you did enerything right but your client just didn't like having nail enhancements on

keep practicing lots and your confidence will soar

i remember when i was training and i had to keep on a full set for 2 weeks so we could practice doing infills, i found it so hard and i did not like it at all! it took a whole lot of willpower for me to not soak them off

SP, chin up, you will get there. I am no expert (I would love to be, like some of the girls are on this site :green: are), but I love doing nails and like my earlier post (back in 2006), I STILL get clients that want tips on BUT JUST WONT LOOK AFTER THEM. Check back through your prep, and sanitising to see if there is anywhere you went wrong. You probably did everything just right but the client may have damaged them herself. Keep practising and I would advise clients that 'user length'(quite short) is a good way to start if a client is new to tips. Don't worry you will get there. I practised on alot of my friends at first (giving a reduction in price) to build my confidence and be able to monitor how the tips were doing without been embarassed if there were any probs.
HTH...and keep going.:hug:
Doblush
xxxx

Well Done, Emma
At least she loves her natural nails as they are now, and will have confidence in you for the future.
If she asks you to remove her gel nails (when you do them), I'd make an excuse to delay her for a few days which might give her a bit of time to get used to them.
My first set of nails on my friend ended after a 3hour marathon and me collapsing in a chair in tears with a bottle of wine !!!!! :irked:
Things can only get better..........

Latest posts

Back