First skincare range - what do you recommend?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi, currently a student & just about to move onto facials. We only do a night class so we're asked to practice at home on friends/family. As a result I'd like to buy some products to learn with. College use Dermalogica (don't they all?!) - but I'm unsure about the brand myself as it seems to have become really commercial. I'd prefer something that's only available from salons (as much as that's possible in today's world). On the plus side for when I hope to start having actual clients come summer, there's nobody else listed as a Dermalogica stokist in a good 5km range.....please help lol! :confused:

Many suppliers will only allow you to buy once you're qualified and then many of them will have an opening order that can cost a lot if money. Dermalogica opening orders are fairly huge!

You may struggle to find a company that will supply you as a student apart from wholesalers unfortunately.

Vic x

Many suppliers will only allow you to buy once you're qualified and then many of them will have an opening order that can cost a lot if money. Dermalogica opening orders are fairly huge!

You may struggle to find a company that will supply you as a student apart from wholesalers unfortunately.

Vic x

I can get hold of Hive of Beauty, Strictly Professional, Kaeso, Skintruth & a few others, if they're any good? I was just hoping to get some brand recommendations off people, & from there I'd investigate further as to what I can or can't get access to. Already in touch with a Dermalogica rep who is happy to advise me regarding their products, but I've not got back in touch because I can practice with their stuff at college anyway. Bit of a no mans land when you're a student lol!

I agree, many skincare brands want a huge opening order and only when you are qualified. All the ones you mentioned from trade shops will be fine to practice with. I'd recommend that whatever you do get you try to use yourself, that way you know how the products work/feel and you can talk to friends/family about their benefits.

If you are planning to work for a salon or spa once you are qualified you'll find that they give product house training as a lot of brands require you to follow their facial routine to the letter - from things like the massage routine to how to fold hot towels for removal of products etc.

I'd also recommend attending a trade show if you are starting on your own to gather info on all the brands that you like the idea of - they may have opening order deals specifically for those attending the show.

Good luck!

Louise

I agree, many skincare brands want a huge opening order and only when you are qualified. All the ones you mentioned from trade shops will be fine to practice with. I'd recommend that whatever you do get you try to use yourself, that way you know how the products work/feel and you can talk to friends/family about their benefits.

If you are planning to work for a salon or spa once you are qualified you'll find that they give product house training as a lot of brands require you to follow their facial routine to the letter - from things like the massage routine to how to fold hot towels for removal of products etc.

I'd also recommend attending a trade show if you are starting on your own to gather info on all the brands that you like the idea of - they may have opening order deals specifically for those attending the show.

Good luck!

Louise

I'm planning on going into self employment with a friend, so we've been attending trade shows, talking to the professionals, exchanging details for when we're ready to make our first orders etc etc.

Thanks for letting me know the ones I can get hold of are good brands. I just don't want to be using a product that's nothing but a nice smelling cream, & doesn't actually do anything.

Also thanks for the tip about using it on myself - as simple as an idea as it is - it never occurred to me that my friend & I should practice on each other outside of class!

Out of the brands you listed from wholesalers Kaeso is probably the nicest and most natural x

Out of the brands you listed from wholesalers Kaeso is probably the nicest and most natural x

Thanks for the recommendation Tiggy, I'll read up about the brand & give it a try :)

Also you can buy the kits at a good price for the different skin types x

The eve Taylor range is good and very reasonably priced and I've also used skin truth which I liked x

Eve Taylor is a far superior product range than any of the above and is not overpriced, check them out! Good luck with venture! S xxx

Hi, currently a student & just about to move onto facials. We only do a night class so we're asked to practice at home on friends/family. As a result I'd like to buy some products to learn with. College use Dermalogica (don't they all?!) - but I'm unsure about the brand myself as it seems to have become really commercial. I'd prefer something that's only available from salons (as much as that's possible in today's world). On the plus side for when I hope to start having actual clients come summer, there's nobody else listed as a Dermalogica stokist in a good 5km range.....please help lol! :confused:

Hiya!

Have you looked at Katherine Daniels Cosmetics?

Kristie x

Latest posts

Back