First time at waxing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lulubav

Reaction score
Hi, I passed my waxing course last week and decided to have my first practise on my hubby. After I waxed his chest it was bright red & covered in white bumps. I thought this may be normal as his never had it done before. I applied tea tree oil and after wax lotion.
The next day his whole chest and belly is covered in a red rash all over. Is this normal? I Think I'll give my college a ring tomorrow for advice.. I can't imagine a lady client being happy if that rash was all over her legs!!
Im thinking should I of cut the hair shorter first? (My course didn't cover male grooming) and it was also hard to see which way the hair was growing to which way I should remove the strip..it was going in every direction lol, could this of caused the spots?? Any advice please? X

A reaction to waxing is quite normal and usually something like an antihistamine will help. I personally wouldn't have used tea tree. Apart from the fact that I can't abide the smell, it's strong so just an after wax lotion may have been better. As you're just starting out, it can sometimes be the products causing a reaction as we don't always use the best at college!

Good luck

Vic x

Sent from my SM-N910F using SalonGeek mobile app

Also it could depend upon the type of wax used. I find hot wax (non-strip wax) to be more gentle on sensitive areas. Did you use a drop of afterwax oil on the area before waxing? You don't need much at all & use a tissue to wipe over before appying wax to make sure there is no excess oil. It creates a slight barrier so makes waxing more comfortable. x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks for your replies. I bought a starter pack which had a cleanser & an after wax lotion in with it. The wax was a sensitive lavender creme one also included.
I bought the tea tree oil seperate as that's what we were taught with on my course. Cleanser, wax, after wax oil (tea tree) then clean & soothe aloe Vera. Would u guys not use these then?
I'm doing my friend tomorrow and feeling a little apprehensive now... X

I think that all sounds fine but I would avoid the tea tree.

In all honesty, you could wax my legs with anything and they wouldn't react so try not to worry too much. I think your husband was very brave. I do my husbands neck and he's through the roof lol x

Sent from my SM-N910F using SalonGeek mobile app

I agree. My husband was to jumpy when I tried waxing him lol. :eek:
Another tip is to make sure you pull off the strip correctly & across ie. level with the skin (not up towards ceiling as that will snap the hairs).
With strip wax don't overload your strip & keep the wax application thin.

Let us know how you get on waxing your friend. x

And Now today when he came home from work and showed me his belly and chest his got lots of little white heads all over it! I'm really baffled 😳 definitely need to ring the educator tomorrow... X

Men's chest waxes often react more strongly than other areas.

If it's sore then apply sudacrem. If not then use savlon for the whiteheads. It's common to get spots come up on the chest if they don't normally wax.

He should exfoliate every third day, starting 3 days after waxing, using an exfoliating cloth or mitt x

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Well I waxed my friend today & was really chuffed with how it went. No rashes! Lol. I have my confidence restored.. Perhaps it was the tea tree that affected my hubby?! Will try again when it grows back & see what happens. Thanks for all your advice.

The fact that the male hair growth is so much stronger & thicker than a woman's hair pattern has a lot to do with it! Possibly you could of trimmed the hair if you felt it was too long, I wouldn't worry, it sounds perfectly normal!! I do 1 guy who after I've finished with him looks like he has severe sunburn!! I also do a lady who has a top lip wax & always gets a few white pimples a few days after. Obviously some are more severe reactions than others, which can shock you a little bit. They are all perfectly normal contra-actions of waxing which your tutor should of covered with you on your course. x

Male clients often react much worse to waxing, especially virgin waxers!

I agree that using the tea tree oil isn't the best idea and I find taking anti histamine really helpful and in most cases it reduces the reaction.

I actually send all new clients a link to my pre waxing advice which makes a difference as most guys turn up and know what possible reaction to expect and how to deal with it...

Just ensure they understand aftercare and follow that as well

Good luck 😊

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

I do have male clients and do chest and back waxes I always apply after wax azulene or calamine afterwards I use depilieve products think made in Spain.
I always always place facial gauze and do hi frequency after for men. Also some men sweat out of being in pain or nervous and the sweat can also cause a reaction due to open pores etc hence why swimming in sea is a post advise care no no.

This prevents ingrown and minimize the reactions

One Whole week after waxing my hubby and he has still got a few white heads on his chest to disappear! 😳

What aftercare has he applied after his waxing? x

That's quite normal for men and to put it simply, the hair is much coarser and denser than women's hair so the follicle is stronger to pull out. I'm sure that his chest felt very hot immediately after too. I know it's scary the first time when you see that.

Some men get spots one the redness goes down and I put that down to poor aftercare and just bad luck.

If you use hot wax then section the chest and abs off with hot wax and then use strip wax on the side bits which are less dense.

Speaking of sectioning.........it's become a bit of a myth that you're only a good waxer if you cover the entire area with wax. Not so! You need a wax free are to really stretch the skin. Section the chest and apply wax to each part following the hair growth and when you become more experienced you'll find yourself applying the wax to larger areas.

Good luck.

regards the white pimples...i'm a waxer and i suffer with these on my upperlip

i follow excellent pre and post care
i have experimented with many things to no avail
i will say, that hot / non strip wax reduced the effects

as does a good quality wax, cleanser and post wax cream.

:)

Latest posts

Back