Focusing on Maternity Treatments

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fifi La Fume

Reaction score
Hi - It's been a while.

I've leased a very small space and I'm opening up with my focus clients being pregnant or new mums.

I've got my maternity range called Belli (American) and I'm just deciding between Eve Taylor and Academie for my postnatal range. I know there are a lot of Eve Taylor fans out there - any feedback on Academie?

Obviously, if my clients are breastfeeding then I'll use Belli on them. I have loads of training and experience working with pregnant clients so that doesn't concern me - I know in a lot of salons/spas there is a fear when it comes to a bump, that's what made me decide to do this.

I know it's not the best time to open up but I thought I'd just go with the flow and see where it takes me...

I know in a lot of salons/spas there is a fear when it comes to a bump, that's what made me decide to do this.

I know what you mean - I've been shocked by how few therapists I've met know how to treat pregnant women and treat them like they're diseased!

I know Martin - After I had my baby I got a job in a Spa on Sundays just to keep up with treatments and pregnant women were given 2 choices a 45 minute facial or a a 45 minute treatment on the float bed!! I do understand the fear and I hate sounding ageist (sp?) but younger therapists in particular dread it. As I said I do understand, when I was 21 if someone gave me a 9 month pregnant woman to massage I would have fainted with fear. I'm constantly learning about treating maternity clients, in February Im taking a postnatal doula course and Im also planning to take Denise Tirans course on becoming a maternity practicioner.

Hiya,

I started a massage course as I wanted to focus on pregnant women.

I know a woman who organises maternity reflexology courses ans I hope to do one later in the year

I am also a doula so im here if you have any questions

(woohoo glad Ive found someone with common thoughts):)

Ive just stumbled on this thread and think your idea is fantastic ! I am 6 months pregnant and my fiance bought me vouchers for a health spa for christmas, when i got the treatment menu through i was really diapointed with the choice for pregnant women so am going to wait until ive had the baby to use them. which is a shame because now is the time when i could do with a bit of pampering !!

Great idea !! Good luck with it

x

i agree with you! many therapist are afraid of treaing pregnant women. i have a beauty room( started late september 08), and i have special packae for pregnant women, which include a Hawaiian massage for pregnancy, deluxe pedicure and facial!
I think there is market for that out there!!!
go for it!

g.lo

Im also planning to take Denise Tirans course on becoming a maternity practicioner.
hello francesXXX

this sounds very interesting. . . can you tell us a little about the course content and duration please? or maybe you could PM me, but I'm sure others here would be interested too. Thanks x

Thanks so much for the positive feed back

Here is the website for Denise Tiran www.expectancy.co.uk

and here are some of her courses - I think you have to do the caring for pregnant clients one first before the others - but I could be wrong

Implementing Aromatherapy in Maternity Care
Reflexology Techniques for Maternity Care
Introduction to Complementary Therapies in Pregnancy and Childbirth
Moxibustion and other alternatives for women with Breech Presentation
Safety of Natural Remedies in Pregnancy
Stress in Pregnancy
Caring for Pregnant Clients (for therapists)
Caring for Pregnant Clients Distance Learning version (for therapists)
Birth Support Therapist programme

I already did reflexology techniques with someone else, so I hope to take the caring for pregnant clients and then aromatherapy. We'll see what the year brings :)

Hi francesXXX

Just saw your post - that sounds like such a good idea....there really is a need for these kind of treatments isn't there! I've also just noticed your from Ireland too. A close friend of mine in the UK does exactly what you propose to do and is busy all of the time, best of luck to you!! I use Eve Taylor in my salon and it's very popular..my clients love it so I can recommend it to you, its all very natural and so would probably fit the bill perfect for what you will be offering your clients....it's also a great retailer as clients don't have to fork out top dollar for a great professional product! I had researched academie before too myself...it also seems good however I was given some mixed reports about it from past users of it and hence I decided to go with Eve Taylor...anyway hope I was of some help......Jan :)

thanks francesXXX, I'm going to have a look at those sites and I bet other Geeks will too.
Good luck with your new venture x

hi

if i were you i would contact Eve Taylor about the safety of their products. I know you said you are considering them for use on postnatal women, but nearly all their products contain essential oils which are pretty strong and really linger in the air so if you had a pregnant client in immediately afterwards it might not be suitable.

Good luck with your idea, it sounds great.

BB
x

I am following this thread with interest as it is in my opinion filling a real gap in the market offering these treatments. :hug: Great thread.

Out of academie and eve taylor I would probably choose eve taylor although i *think* some of the products won't be suitable for use in pregnancy. I use Dermalogica and the oils are manufactured by eve taylor & it is advised not to use the oils in pregnancy so maybe the case with their own products.

Decleor would be a good choice, it has probably changed since i trained with them a few years ago but I think there were only a couple of products out of the entire range that couldn't be used in pregnancy. Also what about mama mio ?

Now that I am pregnant it has really opened my eyes to pregnancy treatments and I think the reason a lot of younger therapists are scared is because it just isn't really covered in college. My bf's sister had a facial when she was pregnant (with a mature therapist I might add) that laid her completley flat on her back for the whole treatment :eek: needless to say she didn't enjoy it and was really ill after, next day went into labour !

Im actually having an elemis mother to be treatment tomorrow as I had a voucher for christmas otherwise I could not afford it (£65) and lets face it most pregnant woman are buying things for baby not treating themselves, thats the only thing that puts me off offering pregnancy treatments as I wonder how many people would be tempted to spend the money on themselves and not baby things ?

Hi Bombini - I bought the Mama Mio range 2 years ago when I rented a room in a holistic treatment centre, they are excellent products, BUT when I was pregnant myself I found their massage oil VERY over powering and it made me gag over and over again. When I smell it now, it's the same - all their products have the same scent and even though I do like the range, it's not for me.

I do have a great maternity range called Belli www.belliskincare.com I can do all the treatments Mama Mio offer as well as facials, which Mama Mio don't.

I'm mainly looking for a range for post natal, (if they're not breast feeding) which Is why I'm looking and Eve Taylor or Academie.

I think mums to be will spend money on themselves if it's affordable and not over priced. The spa I worked before I decided to open on my own charged 120euros for a maternity massage which was a disgrace.

When I rented in the holistic treatment centre, the majority of my clients were for pregnanacy massage - I could have done 15 pregnancy massages a week, as well as reflexology. The girl who took over my room is just as busy.

The area where I live in Dublin, and am opening up, has a very young community. The Public Health Nurse has told me there are over 20 new babies born in my estate every month - I have been running baby massage classes monthly which are constantly booked up. I know I'm very lucky and with my pregnancy treatments I'm just going to see what the year brings and live by 'build it and they will come'.

You're right there is no training in college, but then again, in college it's all about the basics and the rest comes later. As I said above, if someone had given me a pregnant woman to massage early in my career I wouldn't have known what to do....

Enjoy tomorrow and let us know how it goes.

Your poor BFs sister, it's a shame she didn't go to a therapist who was correctly trained. Unfortunately, there are no insurance guidelines on training when it comes to pregnancy treatments/massage. Was she early or was she more or less full term?

Last edited:
She was full term !

I know what you mean about the mama mio products, I really like the tummy rub oil but am not very keen on the shower gel & cream it just has a weird smell to me, also considering its not cheap I don't find it particuarly luxurious ! I prefer the Decleor products myself, love the smell !

I will let you know what the Elemis treatment is like, I am really excited, I think they use a special beanbag ?

Latest posts

Back