Following up job applications? Advice needed!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhona_

Reaction score
Advice from employers is particularly welcome!

I graduate from my beauty course in June and I've been applying to a few jobs recently. I found one that I'm really interested in, I applied last week and I'm hoping I'll hear back from them at some point. Today in college I saw a poster for the same vacancy, so I'm assuming I'll have a bit of competition!

I like my CV (I hope employers do too...!) and I feel like I sent a decent cover letter with it too. Now my question is - is it worth doing anything more in situations like this? e.g. Pop into the salon and mention the application? I feel like stuff like that's a little creepy but it usually seems to lead to success stories.

Any advice/experiences?

Thanks in advance!

You could pop in and offer to do a work trial?
Do 1/2 day showing them your skills etc and they decide from there?

Do people really do this though? I just feel it's a bit OTT. I feel like they should be able to decide who to employ in their own time without getting bothered.

I'm not sure what to do, have you done anything like that yourself?

As an employer I think treasure has a great point, one of the top things I look for is enthusiasm ! Good luck :)

^ Thanks for your reply, it's good to hear from an employer.

I'm still a bit wary of going in and "disturbing" them! I'm passing the salon later on today so I might pop in if I'm feeling brave.

My strategy has always been to phone people because that way I feel that if they're not able to talk right now it won't be awkward for anyone (especially if they are with a client).

I can be more confident on the phone compared to walking into a salon though so I guess it comes down to choosing a strategy that works best in allowing you to play to your strengths.

Best of luck with it :)

Defo go in and ask if they recieved it, and if they would like you to do a 1 or 2 day trial free of charge to demo your skills, it shows you really want to be there and are confident with your skills.
On my cover letters I make a point of saying that I'm available for interview at a time convenient to them and can arrange a model to come in for a trade test xoxo

Eek okay, I'll try to go in over the next few days! Thanks for the replies everyone.

It's not pushy. It's showing them u are keen and that way can put a face
To the name.
There a very few jobs out there, and some jobs get at least 200 apps! Some employers will literally glance over a CV and if it doesn't instantly stand out its in the bin!
I also work for jobcentre plus as an advisor so have a gd idea how things
Work ;)

Hi

I used to work in recruitment and with the the long term unemployed one thing I would always advise is after afew days give the employer a quick ring to ask if they received it and if they had any questions. I used to get 600 CVs for one admin job so something like a phone call really makes you stand out, also in this industry as the others have said you could suggest a day or twos work trial etc

Good Luck!

Thanks guys, you've given me the motivation I needed. I'm going to head in on Friday hopefully!

Well guys, I headed in today and they were sooo lovely about it. They really appreciated me coming in, and now I've got a "chat" with them next Wednesday.

Thanks for the motivation!

Ahhh Thats great! Congrats!! x

Woops... Got a call today from another local salon (they didn't have any vacancies when I originally handed my CV to them). In the voicemail she said, "We've got a vacancy, if you're interested in taking it then let us know" - sounds far too easy, which usually I'd love, but I want the other job so much more!! Eeek, what do I do now? I've not called back yet, they're open until 6pm so I can call tonight or tomorrow. My "chat" at the other place isn't until Wednesday.

If the voicemail had mentioned an interview I wouldn't be so worried, but I'm just scared that I'll call back and they'll want a yes or no answer in terms of taking a job! Obviously there's no guarantees that I'll get further than a "chat" at the other place, but the initial meeting with them went soo well.

Any advice guys? Hopefully someone will see this, I know the rest of the thread is a bit old news now!

I would call them back, it can't hurt, I have never heard of anyone offering a job without seeing them, esp a salon so I think she got her words muddled.
This one on Wednesday is not a guarantee (sorry don't mean to be down!)
So keep your options open!

Kim xx

I know, I found it very strange she said it like that! But she could just be bad with words, lol. To be fair though, they have seen me and we had a wee chat when I went in with my CV, but nothing major.

No don't be silly, I agree I definitely need to keep my options open :) Just not sure how to go about it the best way, so that I can try my best to get the other job without jeopardising the "back up"! I'm not sure how to describe it.. Like, I don't want to be overly keen with this new salon, because I'd end up feeling too guilty if they want me and I (fingers crossed) get the other job! Hmmmmm. I might phone them back now and maybe try to arrange to see them on Wednesday after the other salon. Ahhh, don't know!

Thanks so much for the reply though.

That's a good idea to see them Wednesday as well if possible.

I know what you mean though, I have an interview at a place that I really really want but I'm having to give myself a kick up the bum to carry on applying else where in case I don't get it!!

Kim xx

Tough life we lead eh! :p

Really though, I'm so glad to finally be getting somewhere with this job malarky, it's just a shame that two opportunities would come at once. Typical! I tried to give them a ring but I have a feeling they might've closed up early. I have a really busy day tomorrow so might not even speak to them until Wednesday now. Left a voicemail though so that they know I tried!

Now.... Do I mention to the original salon that I have somewhere else "interested" in me, in hopes that they'll maybe let me know their decision sooner!? Not sure if that crosses the cheeky line lol.

Best of luck in your interview!

Latest posts

Back