Free from parabens, skin care?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leemac

Reaction score
Hi

I posted a few months back that I had developed rosacea and thanks to all who gave a helpful reply.
After months of doctors tests (skin and blood) nothing showed up and all that my GP could offer me was long term antibiotics and steroid cream for my face.
I decided to get my hair allergy tested and it showed up the following:
Allergic to:
Red, yellow & orange peppers (not green)
Fresh tomatoes (cooked ok)
Wheat
Almonds
All parabens and also propylhdrxybenzoate.
I was really shocked at just how much I was allergic to but atleast now I know and I can control the food part myself. My skin is still a bit of a mess, I am struggling to find TOTALLY paraben free and propylhdrxybenzoate free. So geeks any ideas would be great, I have always had lovely skin and it has gone very thin and crepey in a matter of months. My eyes are the worst, I am worried that if I dont get on top of it soon I will stay like this. I use ahava and they have recently taken the parabens out of their products but its just not working. I dont mind spending what I need so any suggestions on what to try would be great.
Thanks for reading, Lee-Anne xx

hi leemac

I have just invested in MONU which I love and they do a paraben free face range.

hth :)

Eve Taylor's skincare products are all paraben free.

Jack

I also have rosacea and am constantly searching for skincare. I've been told about a range called obagi that has a range specially designed for rosacea. It is quite pricey. I don't know about the parabens or other ingredients but maybe worth looking at as designed with skin like ours in mind. Did you ask the doctors to do tests as mine just keep giving me antibiotics!

thankyou for all the replies, will look into them all.

the doctors gave me blood test (only when I pushed for one) but nothing showed up in terms of specific allergies to foods or products and to be honest there was not a great deal of interest from my GP's to get to the bottom of it. I know i could take medication to calm or even mask the symptoms but I was trying to find out the cause so I could treat without pills.
It was a hair stand test from a therapy company that visits my heath food store that showed up my allergies. I am seeing the woman again this week so I will find out the name of the test and let you know. x

NYO is use on clients pre and post treatment & retail and use myself xx

Fabulous!

It was a hair stand test from a therapy company that visits my heath food store that showed up my allergies. I am seeing the woman again this week so I will find out the name of the test and let you know. x

I was under the impression that these sorts of 'allergy tests' had all been discredited. Before investing lots of money and time changing your lifestyle it might be worth doing some background reading on whether the results from the test actually have any basis in reality, see for example:

Allergy tests of no proven value | Dr. Adrian Morris of Surrey Allergy Clinic Tests and Treats allergies

REN skincare is amazing. Really changed my skin. I don't like using things that are not natural.

REN skincare is amazing. Really changed my skin. I don't like using things that are not natural.

Depends what you mean by natural; as a term it's quite meaningless. All ingredients have a natural origin as the consituents originate here on earth, so long as a product has one thing like water in it they can say its natural. Even then, not everything natural is safe or useful! Even parabens are natural, they are even found in foods like carrots! Agreed those used in cosmetics, toothpastes etc are synthesised, but they're about as natural as the alternatives, many of which result in shorter shelf lives and premium prices.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that these sorts of 'allergy tests' had all been discredited. Before investing lots of money and time changing your lifestyle it might be worth doing some background reading on whether the results from the test actually have any basis in reality, see for example:

Allergy tests of no proven value | Dr. Adrian Morris of Surrey Allergy Clinic Tests and Treats allergies
Why would you assume that I had not researched before I took the plunge?
If they were discredited why do our police force and legal system use them?
Hair strand testing can be used for many things, including drug testing and in murder investigations. I have a client who is a forensic scientist for the police and your hair can reveal a lot about what has gone on inside the body. (His words not mine)

I dont want this thread to turn into a debate about whether or not Parabens are good or bad for you, I am simply looking for advice on paraben and propylhdrxybenzoate free skin care to see if this helps my skin, thanks

Hi, I also use Neal's Yard Organics and retail them. They are free from parabens and synthetics. Wether you are allergic to parabens or not they are not a good ingredient and can be avoided these days so we may as well! I find orange flower or soothing starflower good for rosacea. but there are lots to try and u can get samples before investing in the products. I also love REN and Dr Haushka. Hope this helps!

Why would you assume that I had not researched before I took the plunge?
If they were discredited why do our police force and legal system use them?
Hair strand testing can be used for many things, including drug testing and in murder investigations. I have a client who is a forensic scientist for the police and your hair can reveal a lot about what has gone on inside the body. (His words not mine)

I don't want to hijack this thread and change it's course, but whilst hair does indeed contain traces of chemicals, heavy metals etc that are in the body in high levels, that is not the same thing as saying a person is allergic or intolerant of that chemical. So whilst the test is useful for forensics it does not necessarily follow it's therefore useful for allergy testing. As far as I am aware the hair test for allergies is not considered to be based on any good science and is discredited as an allergy test. I won't post further on this, other than to say my post was intended as friendly advice to help you avoid wasting time and money chasing the proverbial rabbit down the hole, but good luck with your search.

thankyou for all the replies, will look into them all.

the doctors gave me blood test (only when I pushed for one) but nothing showed up in terms of specific allergies to foods or products and to be honest there was not a great deal of interest from my GP's to get to the bottom of it. I know i could take medication to calm or even mask the symptoms but I was trying to find out the cause so I could treat without pills.

I hope you get to the boton of it. My gp's don't do a lot other than throw pills at me that don't work! I'd be very interested in the test you have.

Eve Taylor has a lovely range of effective, paraben free products.

Not sure about your other allergens but if you contact them via the number on thier website or thier amazing Facebook page they will advise you on what products you would be able to use.

Hope you find a good solution to your problem. :)

Lindsey x

Pure Fiji is lovely too, and also Spa Find x

Well, yeah I am sorry I did not write a long post about what is natural and not natural. For me things made by man is not the same thing as grown by earth. Anyway, I will exit this debate and just state that I think REN is excellent for what the OP is after. They do some amazing products.

Not entirely sure any pot of cream is grown by the earth!!

Oh dear, really?!? i am pretty sure that debating what is "natural" and what is grown by earth is not what the OP is originally asking for. best to stay on subject and help out the OP then debating a simple mis-wording.

OP...Eve Taylor's products are fantastic as other's have said on this thread :)

I've just heard about a range called essentially yours. Its supposed to organic and very good. I've started a thread to see what feedback comes from here.:)

Latest posts

Back