FREE Treatments for new business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

princess fifi

Reaction score
Hello all
I have worked for a number of salons in the past that offered free treatments, to get clients in the door and enjoying the surrounds and therapy, a lot of product companies recommend giving free express facials etc. when you start.
I always used to find that you would get a lot of people that just want something for free. What do you think about this for a new business?

I reckon this is probably so. However, even the freebie seekers will need a treatment at some time and if you stand out in their mind because you gave a really good service then they'll come back. Even if they just tell someone else who then tries you out its worth it, its all about recognition and building reputation.

I worked for an organisation that got a lot of funding at one point. We had treatments for £5 for 6 treatments per client, once they had their 6 you rarely saw them again.

we also ran a free morning on a Friday, they could drop in (no appointments) and get a 15 free Indian head massage, or hand massage, or reflexology.

the same people turned up for these every week, and never made an appointment.

Unfortunately, when the pot of funding was spent, the company struggled to remain self sufficient, we relied on paying clients, and some referrals.

it closed down.

Saying that, I just ran a 2 week spur of the moment promotion, where people could get an IHM for £10 and a back massage for £10.
I got 6 new clients and 4 of those re-booked for the second week.

This week is the first week its not on, so wonder if anyone will be re-booking.

Thanks for that, I thought as much. I also experienced that with a holistic spa I was working at, they had a lot of investors and used the money for freebies, they are now struggling heaps. Personally I think that a percentage off the treatment price is okay and promos like that, but I never liked doing free treatments, Just wanted your opinions, thanks heaps.

Hi

I wouldn't do free treatments exactly, but perhaps you could offer vouchers off their next treatment, or complimentary mini pedi's or mani's (file and polish only) with other treatments?

My feeling is that if you give something for free people will not think it is valuable and therefore not want to pay for it. Give add on samplers if you want, but only full paying clients to get them to try other treatments. Why would you give away something for free when people will be happy to pay for it! :hug:

I used to work for a salon that allowed me to do a small treatment for free if the client was really interested...eg, if during the course of a waxing appointment, the client mentioned their lashes, I was allowed to do a free lash tint for them...Always told then how much it was worth, and if they liked the results I always booked them in for 6 weeks time. It was the same with threading, small areas of waxing etc.

I always liked that method, because it's not a standard promotion, and the client will never expect to get something for free. It's also tailor made to them, and it's completely at your discretion. I always got my clients into having something else!! If they're on the couch anyway, and mention something, why not show them the results?! It worked for me.

I dont think offering free treatments is ever a good idea in this industry. I think that it sends a hidden negative message to potential future clients that your services are quite down market. I also think that the vast majority of people who would uptake your free offer are not good future customers, so they are kind of a worthless market to target.
I think you do yourself no favours at all doing this:cry:

Much better to offer a discount, especially on packages. xx

I think giving FREE treatments can be a source of new business BUT it has to be handled properly. If you simply give the free treatment away and then nothing else happens then you've generated no business.

If you put a value on the treatment. So this would normally cost you £xx and you're getting it for FREE. Then you try your VERY hardest to get them to re-book. If they don't then (as you've got their contact details) they go onto a mailing programme to get them back into the salon.

Then, of course, you use the clients you have generated by the FREE offer to get their friends to come and see you.

Phew this is very much a chicken and egg situation and I guess the answer very much lies in what sort of budget you have to blow.

I personnel don't believe that simply giving stuff for free relay works as people simply get greedy and come for the freebies and never book paying treatments.

What can work is "buy this treatment" and "get this treatment free/half price/10% off or whatever.

Or "heres a voucher to recommend a friend and you will get xxx% off your treatment next time you come into the salon"

By doing this you can increase both your customer base (friends of your existing customers) or the services of your existing customers who may take up your offer of a treatment that they wouldn't normally take up..

Hello :)

I do a refer a friend scheme (among others :)). Once th client has had 2 treatments with me at full price, I give them a voucher. This says that if they refer a friend, once that friend has booked AND had their treatment, the original client gets their next treatment half price.

I also have a scheme which once the client has had 6 treatments (doesn't matter what, could be a tans or a brow waxes), they get their next treatment at the average value of what the 6 treatments came to. So for example, if they had 6 brow waxes at a fiver each that's (6 x 5) 30 quid, divided by the 6 treaments, is a fiver, so they can either have another brow wax free or put that fiver towards another treament of their choice.

I hope this makes sense, lol!

xx

Thanks for all your responses & great Ideas! Much appreciated:)

I think that done correctly, doing free treatments is a great way to building up a client base, and we have gained many, many clients by doing freebies.

How I do it is by running competitions in local shops with a prize for the main winner. I then send out prizes to runners up as well.

Out of perhaps 20 entries, 15 will come into the salon, with 10 of those rebooking there & then. This makes a 50% response rate which I'd say is pretty darn good. Those that don't re-book are of course on our mailing list & we will perhaps see them some months later, increasing our response rate.

Clients are then encouraged (& rewarded) to refer friends, again increasing the initial response rate.

Latest posts

Back