French nail, how do you do yours?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Nailz

Reaction score
Okay, some people apply it this way...

GEL OVERLAY WITH FRENCH:
Nail prep
apply the Gelish or Shellac french.
Then do Gel overlay on the top

OR

Gel overlay.
Then French Gelish or Shellac on top

GEL EXTENSIONS WITH FRENCH:
Nail prep
apply tips
apply Gelish or Shellac french
Then apply Gel over the top

OR

nail prep
apply tips
Gel
Then Gelish or Shellac over the top of the builder gel.

Which is the best way?

I prefer the 4th way mentioned if im using a paint on white but i use Brisa pow for gel extensions.

But i think its best to sculpt the white builder gel onto a tip for the best look. x

When I do mine with gelish I :

Prep nail
Apply Foundation gel
Apply base colour
Apply white for tip
Apply TIO

X

When I do mine with gelish I :

Prep nail
Apply Foundation gel
Apply base colour
Apply white for tip
Apply TIO

X

That is normal way of doing it straight on the nails. I wouldn't do that any other way :)

What I mean is Gelish or Shellac French with extensions or with Gel overlay.
Do you apply the Gel overlay on top of the french, or do you do the overlay first, file and then apply the french?

With Tips...do you apply the tip and then paint the french on, do the builder gel after....or apply tips, do the builder gel, file and then paint the gelish or shellac on the top? :)

With Shellac I do:
Prep nail (cuticle work and file)
Apply base coat
Apply white
Apply a clear shellac shimmer (Silver VIP is my fave)
apply top coat

If I'm applying tips however, after prepping the nail, I apply the tip and then put on a builder gel first...then do all of the above.

2nd and 4th way.

Create the nail first (overlay or extension) then shellac over the top.

Xx

I've often wondered what people have the most success with as well. Right now, I do tip, color, then overlay. But then when the time comes for an infill I have to take it right down to the tip to get that color off.. I think I am going to try doing the overlay then adding the color gel or gelish.. However--if I was doing a glitter tip I think I would still have to do glitter gel then overlay since it would probably be quite jagged if it isn't done that way.. What do you think?

2nd and 4th way.

Create the nail first (overlay or extension) then shellac over the top.

Xx

This is the way I do it too.

Some people will add the french and then overlay or gel over the top! It does look good, but I think I prefer to build up first too! :)

That is normal way of doing it straight on the nails. I wouldn't do that any other way :)

What I mean is Gelish or Shellac French with extensions or with Gel overlay.
Do you apply the Gel overlay on top of the french, or do you do the overlay first, file and then apply the french?

With Tips...do you apply the tip and then paint the french on, do the builder gel after....or apply tips, do the builder gel, file and then paint the gelish or shellac on the top? :)

Sorry read it wrong :(

If doing it with tips I would add a layer of structure gel after I had applied tip, then base colour, then white another layer of structure gel then TIO. :) xx

I did a set of sculpts this evening and built the clear up, filed and finished the nail then painted on my french with gelish. I like this way SO much better. It will be so much easier as well if/when I decide I want to change the colour of my tips!

Latest posts

Back