Fresh Monomer Every Time?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
I offer 3 different types of enhancements: Tip-n-dip, UV Gel, and L&P.
My schedule is around my family, so let's use a Wednesday for example.
I work 9:30 to 4pm, then 6pm to 10pm.

My question is this: If you aren't using any coloured L&P or glitter, and only using a clear pink AND you have an L&P in the morning, and one in the late afternoon, and one late evening with UV Gel in between all these L&P clients....

DO YOU USE FRESH MONOMER EACH TIME?
OR
Top-off what's left?

I have been dumping the leftover monomer when done with a client.
Seems such a horrible waste.

My dappen has a cork lid/plug on it.

I did think about 'cross contamination' HOWEVER... how dirty can a client's hands be if A) they've washed them B) I've prepped them properly and everything is kept sanitized and disinfected etc.....

AND if you do top off.... how long does monomer keep in a cork-plugged Dappen? Does it evaporate and lose it's effectiveness?

THANKS!

I asked a very similar question some time ago, the answers I got were all basically the same, try to dispense just the right amount of monomer so you don't have any left over.....easier said than done though lol. HTH.

I use a pipette and only use the amount of monomer I need per each set of nails I do. Sometimes I don't dispense enough and end up adding a bit more to my dappen dish, but rather that than waste it, working 'smart' pays dividends :green:

I use a small amount for each client. IF there is leftover, I dispose of it and use fresh for the next client. HTH! :)

Ditto as above. Using an approximate amount or a little at a time reduces wastage and is more cost effective.

HTHs :hug: xx

It's not that it get dirty or likewise, the problem with just topping it off is, if you have any polymer left in the brush, this will contaminate your monomer. I believe I have heard the term dull used. The polymer will probably not set the whole monomer, but it will weaken it (this is how I had it explained anyway).

So try to only decant what is needed :D

I dispense little amounts per client too. But if i have dispensed too much for a pink infill client, i have saved and topped up for the next client, especially if its just for 1 nail repair! or i have dispensed too much for 1 nail repair so i save for the next rebalance. I always chuck out monomer used for pink and whites thou, there's never enough left to bother saving plus i always contaminate using whites.
If you hate wasting so much, like i do, why not have a seperate dappen dish with lid to dispense any clean enough left over monomer and use it for when you are just playing on tips and creating nail art displays. This is what i do at times when i feel a 'plat day' coming along. :D

one of my therapists uses the pure touch pump by nsi and this helps to avoid contamination and the flow of fluid returning...its pretty good...but as always up to individual what they prefer.

THANKS

I do use a Pipette, but wasn't sure if I 'could' use the leftovers?

Since I do mostly uv gel, still, my L&P is still on a learning curve for consistency in all things.

THANKS PEEPS!!

THANKS

I do use a Pipette, but wasn't sure if I 'could' use the leftovers?

Since I do mostly uv gel, still, my L&P is still on a learning curve for consistency in all things.

THANKS PEEPS!!

Sometimes saving the used monomer can be handy to practice things such as acrylic flowers and art on tips, where the product doesnt have to 'last' and is just for practice purposes - little tip I picked up from annie23.

I use the CND dog bowl dish it seems to be the perfect size for the right amount of monomer , I rarely have enough left over to consider it a waste, when I'm done I clean dish with scrubfresh on pad add a tiny bit of new monomer to it then clean the brush , x

I always chuck out monomer used for pink and whites thou, there's never enough left to bother saving plus i always contaminate using whites.

I would point out that if your monomer is always 'clouding' (contaminated) from the white then you are working to wet with the white and then not cleaning out the brush properly before re wetting... If you use a plastic backed pad and really ensure you wipe thoroughly this should help reduce and white pigment from being reintroduced to your monomer.

DO YOU USE FRESH MONOMER EACH TIME?
OR
Top-off what's left?
Hi Vicky, long time no chat!
I would say fresh monomer each and every time! This ensures your bead will pick up and react properly each time.

My dappen has a cork lid/plug on it.
change this for a smaller one that will allow you easier control of the amount you use ;)

I did think about 'cross contamination' HOWEVER... how dirty can a client's hands be if A) they've washed them B) I've prepped them properly and everything is kept sanitized and disinfected etc.....
When techs refer to contamination of monomer they are generally not talking hygene, rather the mixing of product which throws the reaction off pace - such as small amounts of mix ratio being 'washed out' from the brush into the dappen dish.

AND if you do top off.... how long does monomer keep in a cork-plugged Dappen? Does it evaporate and lose it's effectiveness?
Yes, evaporation will occur, but this should be negilable, what will cause you an unknown amount of grief is what chemicals have gotten into the monomer and what sort of reaction they may have started, this can weaken any polymer formed from this monomer and lead to service breakdown which will

hth's

Thanks oodles for all that info!!

Much appreciated!!!:D
Some of that I knew, but wasn't 100% sure... Nice to have information personal thoughts confirmed and some new info!!

(but I beg you, PLEASE don't call me Vicky, drives me bonkers LOL :hug:)

I use the CND dog bowl dish it seems to be the perfect size for the right amount of monomer , I rarely have enough left over to consider it a waste, when I'm done I clean dish with scrubfresh on pad add a tiny bit of new monomer to it then clean the brush , x

That's EXACTLY what I do. I LOVE the dog bowl dish! It's perfect! :)

I use the CND dog bowl aswell! and I normally pour enough for 5 fingers then refill for another 5, just a wee habit I got into because sometimes the monomer can go a bit cloudy from using white and it always made me mad wasting it and having to use more lol :)

one of my therapists uses the pure touch pump by nsi and this helps to avoid contamination and the flow of fluid returning...its pretty good...but as always up to individual what they prefer.

looooooooooove the pure touch pump!!! It works great, literally NO waste and 100% fresh monomer for each client. The pump dispenses (roughly, depending on your brush) one large brush full of monomer per "pump". the pressure from "wiping" your brush on the side of the dish releases the next pump of monomer. Here, we are required to use fresh monomer on each client (cosmetology board regulation) so waste can definitely be a problem. Also powder must be less than 2 ounces... not sure if those of you over there across the pond have those types of regulations or not!

I would point out that if your monomer is always 'clouding' (contaminated) from the white then you are working to wet with the white and then not cleaning out the brush properly before re wetting... If you use a plastic backed pad and really ensure you wipe thoroughly this should help reduce and white pigment from being reintroduced to your monomer.

Thanks Envy :) I am aware of that, it's what you get for working in a salon which is too cold! I have been concerned for my clients with the risk of overexposure from working too wet so i have moved salons because of this reason 3 weeks ago. x

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a pipette and only use the amount of monomer I need per each set of nails I do. Sometimes I don't dispense enough and end up adding a bit more to my dappen dish, but rather that than waste it, working 'smart' pays dividends :green:

I work like this :)

I never use pumps .. more odour more evaporation and they get yucky!! Havent used one since 1985 .. since then only dappen dishes and clean liquid.
I try to dispense what I need for one client at a time but of course if there is any leftover I just add fresh to it and so on until the end of the day when the challenge is to use it all up!! lol You can get quite good at it so there is next to nil wasteage. :D

I never use pumps .. more odour more evaporation and they get yucky!! Havent used one since 1985 .. since then only dappen dishes and clean liquid.
I try to dispense what I need for one client at a time but of course if there is any leftover I just add fresh to it and so on until the end of the day when the challenge is to use it all up!! lol You can get quite good at it so there is next to nil wasteage. :D
Oh i am glad you have posted about this type of pump and to know you dont recommend it gigi, after reading about it above it sounded really good so i did try and search to find out more about this pump and was considering buying one myself...i won't won't be bothering now.

Latest posts

Back