Friend knocked my confidence

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glitterlove

Reaction score
really not sure how to take this,
my friend always rings last minute to get her nails done as in Friday or Saturday night, anyways this time I was busy so she said she would come round sunday morning no problem I thought.
anyway sunday afternoon she texts to say she slept in could I do them later which I couldn't. Now she's texted to say shes gone to a salon
feel a bit disheartened now because whenever I do her nails she complains of lifting a week later but no-one else whose nails I do have problems
not sure if shes taking me for granted or annoyed with me feel like I'm such a bad friend right now
any advice?

my friend always rings last minute to get her nails done as in Friday or Saturday night, anyways this time I was busy so she said she would come round sunday morning no problem I thought.
anyway sunday afternoon she texts to say she slept in could I do them later which I couldn't. Now she's texted to say shes gone to a salon
feel a bit disheartened now because whenever I do her nails she complains of lifting a week later but no-one else whose nails I do have problems
not sure if shes taking me for granted or annoyed with me feel like I'm such a bad friend right now
any advice?

Don't let your confidence be knocked by your friend...she sounds like she's taking liberties.

Friends are literally the worst clients...I hope you're charging her too!

If she's complaining about lifting etc, and no one else is. Do all your troubleshooting, then charge her for any fixes...I'm sure she won't complain again! ;)

any advice?

You're not a bad friend you're a business woman!
You've accommodated her appointment request which she missed. Her fault.
You're too booked up to fit her in Sunday afternoon (or too busy, doesn't matter which). Not you're fault, you can't put your life on hold 'just in case' your friend wants an appointment which she won't turn up to.

As for her going to the salon, great - one less awkward customer to worry about.

If she was that great of a mate, she would respect you and not just skip appointments.

any advice?

Yep, my advice is not to feel like this. It sounds simple to me, she wanted her nails doing at a time to suit her and you couldn't do them so she went elsewhere. She is used to the convenience of her saying jump and you saying how high? and it just didn't work out like this this time.

It's about her, not you.

Don't let your confidence be knocked by your friend...she sounds like she's taking liberties.

Friends are literally the worst clients...I hope you're charging her too!

If she's complaining about lifting etc, and no one else is. Do all your troubleshooting, then charge her for any fixes...I'm sure she won't complain again! ;)
unfortunately not charging her she's been my practise person since I was training i never thought of her as a customer before

... So take out the part that she's a friend ...
You have someone who expects you to jump when she calls for an appointment last minute regardless of day or time ... And prob getting discount too ... Then moans about the nails etc ... Maybe if she has to fit in around a salon and pay salon prices she may then value you a bit more ...
Friends and family are the worst at thinking you have no life as they think it's ok for you to be working as it's not working when it's treatments on them ... X

unfortunately not charging her she's been my practise person since I was training i never thought of her as a customer before

So she's happy to fit in with a salon and pay tho ... !!!
Time to charge I think, she may look after her nails better and stop moaning about lifting etc if she has to pay every time ...
Xxxx

My advice? Let her go, and don't feel bad at all.

People value your time as much as you do - if you're bending over backwards to try and fit her in and do everything for free, then that's how she's going to value you. Don't let her.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Omg how can you feel bad hun when shes calling you Fri/Sat/Sun last minute to do her nails!!!! And because your busy, (and who wouldnt be) shes gone elsewhere. Well let her go elsewhere... they wont do last min Fri/Sat/Sun evenings. Probably will ruin her nails. Then she'll realise how great you are!!! You're her friend.....not just her nail tech. She cant expect you to drop everything when she needs it surely???:)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

It's true. Friends are the worst clients. I really let my friends get to me and it led to me stopping working for a couple of years.

It wasn't the only reason, but it was a huge contributing factor!

Some weren't really friends. Some were thoughtless. Some took liberties. And some were so brutally honest that a bit of tact wouldn't have gone amiss.

Ii found the whole thing really upsetting.

Now though, after taking a couple of years off, I feel more confident. Ive restarted and not done anyone I know yet and they've all been really great customers, messaging me to say how pleased they've been and rebooking...

I think it might all change though as I've got two friends booked in this week! Determined not to let them get to me though!

So she's happy to fit in with a salon and pay tho ... !!!
Time to charge I think, she may look after her nails better and stop moaning about lifting etc if she has to pay every time ...
Xxxx
the fact she went to a salon has hit my confidence more than anything

It's true. Friends are the worst clients. I really let my friends get to me and it led to me stopping working for a couple of years.

It wasn't the only reason, but it was a huge contributing factor!

Some weren't really friends. Some were thoughtless. Some took liberties. And some were so brutally honest that a bit of tact wouldn't have gone amiss.

Ii found the whole thing really upsetting.

Now though, after taking a couple of years off, I feel more confident. Ive restarted and not done anyone I know yet and they've all been really great customers, messaging me to say how pleased they've been and rebooking...

I think it might all change though as I've got two friends booked in this week! Determined not to let them get to me though!
thanks for the advice hope it goes well with your friends x

Haven't had time to read all the replies so don't know if she pays or not but in my experience the more you do for someone, free treatments, look after their dog, help out when their under the weather (okay I may be personally venting here!!) the less thanks you get. The good side to this - eventually, and sometimes you can wait too long, - you'll bite back. No more freebies, no more helping when it's a bother for you but you don't like to say etc. Be firm from now on, it'll give you quite a few anxious moments but believe me it's worth it.

Don't worry it wasn't your fault, you tried to accommodate her and she slept in. Sometimes friends take us for granted. My friend txt me at 1am asking if I could do her nails at 9am in the morning. I just replied sorry no and then she went to town had her nails done and posted photos saying look at my gorgeous nails. It's true what my husband says friends and business don't mix xx

Thanks for all advice looks like I'm not alone having this problem when you first start out :D

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks for all advice looks like I'm not alone having this problem when you first start out :D

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

Sadly I'm not starting out, I've been doing this job for 14 years and it's just recently I've started to grow a pair!! So learn from a pathetic expert Glitterglove and just say 'NAW' (may only work in Glasgow but sure you'll have an equivalent! :wink2:)After your first one it'll only get easier.

Friends are the worst clients! I make sure all my friends come into the salon and they pay like everyone else does!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

the fact she went to a salon has hit my confidence more than anything

Maybe you are afraid of her comparing you now to the salon. Don't let her knock your confidence. If she wants to go and pay elsewhere, let her. You could look on this as an opportunity. If she returns for your services, tell her you will have to start charging for your time and products. You could say that you were finding it difficult to approach her about this, but now that she has went elsewhere it has made it easier for you! Just a thought.

Definitely can relate to this... Friends are a pain in the arse when it comes to treatments! X

Always the first to offer themselves to you for practice etc. Always the first to moan and knock your confidence! X

Latest posts

Back