Full coverage foils

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jodie077

Reaction score
Hi all! Im having issues with foils! I tried to do my nails last night and it was a disaster! I used shellac for my base colour i took the sticky layer off the colour and used foil adhesive waited untill clear then put the foil on rubbed it with lint free wipe and it was ok but did have few spots missing. I then put shellac top coat on i am sure i covered the whole nail with it and capped all edges but when i wiped the sticky layer off after curing it took some of the foil off and i was left with the base colour! Soo annoying!
So whats the secret to using foils? What have i done wrong? :( thanks guys xx

Hi all! Im having issues with foils! I tried to do my nails last night and it was a disaster! I used shellac for my base colour i took the sticky layer off the colour and used foil adhesive waited untill clear then put the foil on rubbed it with lint free wipe and it was ok but did have few spots missing. I then put shellac top coat on i am sure i covered the whole nail with it and capped all edges but when i wiped the sticky layer off after curing it took some of the foil off and i was left with the base colour! Soo annoying!
So whats the secret to using foils? What have i done wrong? :( thanks guys xx
How big were the missing spots? A couple of tiny ones are a pain but fairly normal. Also, if there are creases in the foil those bits won't stick. After you removed the foil did you go back in with it and try to press it on the gaps? If it still won't stick, you can add a tiny amount of foil glue to the gaps and go over them if you have to. Try to use a similar base colour to the foil so any gaps don't show too badly.

What adhesive are you using? Every one on here seems to recommend the edge. I bought it the other day and it did seem superior.

Topcoat twice over foils to protect them. In fact I've heard of people who had problems with it wearing away too quickly using a layer of soak off builder gel (like Gelish structure) after the foil and before topcoat. For designs and not full coverage, someone at Brilbird told me to go over the design with a fine brush and topcoat, cure and then do a full layer of top coat.

I'm no foil expert but I hope these tips help! Xx

How big were the missing spots? A couple of tiny ones are a pain but fairly normal. Also, if there are creases in the foil those bits won't stick. After you removed the foil did you go back in with it and try to press it on the gaps? If it still won't stick, you can add a tiny amount of foil glue to the gaps and go over them if you have to. Try to use a similar base colour to the foil so any gaps don't show too badly.

What adhesive are you using? Every one on here seems to recommend the edge. I bought it the other day and it did seem superior.

Topcoat twice over foils to protect them. In fact I've heard of people who had problems with it wearing away too quickly using a layer of soak off builder gel (like Gelish structure) after the foil and before topcoat. For designs and not full coverage, someone at Brilbird told me to go over the design with a fine brush and topcoat, cure and then do a full layer of top coat.

I'm no foil expert but I hope these tips help! Xx
Thanks hun! It was tiny bits but it was really annoying! I can cope with that tho coz like you said i used a pink under and the foil was a pink gradient. I got the edge glue after watching sarah r on you tube!

Its the top coat that got to me just felt really flat after spending ages painting ect and then that! I will try your tips tonight on colour pops and see what happens! (gave up with my nails and went back to glitter! Lol) thank you xxx

Try applying the foil directly to the sticky layer of your colour coat, then apply your top coat. Hope this helps :)

Try applying the foil directly to the sticky layer of your colour coat, then apply your top coat. Hope this helps :)

This is what I was going to suggest. The sticky layer grabs the foil. No need for the faff of glue

I tried that didnt work as well as the glue thanks tho x

I tried that didnt work as well as the glue thanks tho x

Think it depends which product like you're using actually, I've read on here some don't work well

Ive also read heard that. Ive got shellac and ilac so i thought id try glue! Havnt had a chance to try foils again yet but will try all your tips at the weekend! Thanks guys! X

Latest posts

Back