Full head bleach now wants highlift tint how to match up?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiatia22

Reaction score
My client is a base 9 and has full head bleach with 10/8 toner. She wants to go for highlift tint 12/ series,when her roots need doing.I was thinking ater applying the tint to he roots putting a few bleah foils on top to break up the tint to bleach line .but I want to even out mid length and ends to match up better, but am worried it will grab too much, any suggestions?? I was considering 9/38.

Last edited:
I wouldn't use bleach on already bleached hair..... I would highlift tint the roots with 12% and then use an all over toner to blend the roots into the mid lengths and ends. You thinking of using 12/89? I assume it's wella your using also yeah?
What tone is your client wanting to go?

I would use a 12/89 and then maybe use a 10/8 or 10/81 depending on how yellow the hair is and what tone she wants

I hope this helps x

I was only foiling the root area not over the bleach areas, I was going to use 12/61 on roots but want to warm up bleached mid lengths and ends to match up as the tint will be warmer than the bleach.

Why use a highlift with 12%?? You risk it going warmer. That's 5 levels of lift which isn't needed.

Highlifts give you lift and control to a level 10. If she a 9 then you only need one level- either use a highlift with 9% or a 10 with 6%.

You shouldn't need to tone and if it isn't over bleached it should blend in nicely. Without the need for bleach foils.

I wouldn't use bleach on already bleached hair..... I would highlift tint the roots with 12% and then use an all over toner to blend the roots into the mid lengths and ends. You thinking of using 12/89? I assume it's wella your using also yeah?
What tone is your client wanting to go?

I would use a 12/89 and then maybe use a 10/8 or 10/81 depending on how yellow the hair is and what tone she wants

I hope this helps x

Highlifts are lift and tone- if you highlift and tone you might aswell use bleach surely?

If you do a colour fresh mix of 8/03 and 10/36 on the bleached ends, it will match up to the highlift root. Why not try illumina?

Highlifts are lift and tone- if you highlift and tone you might aswell use bleach surely?

That makes sense but I think she's wanting to tone the mid lengths and ends where the bleach is to blend with the hi lift tint roots because they will be a different colour even with the tone and the bleached areas will probably need the toner if it's yellow.
I wouldn't apply a toner over a hi lift either, it's defeating the object.
9% with the hi lift is what I would do, then apply the appropriate toner on the rest not the root area 😊

That makes sense but I think she's wanting to tone the mid lengths and ends where the bleach is to blend with the hi lift tint roots because they will be a different colour even with the tone and the bleached areas will probably need the toner if it's yellow.
I wouldn't apply a toner over a hi lift either, it's defeating the object.
9% with the hi lift is what I would do, then apply the appropriate toner on the rest not the root area 😊

I'm following you, I don't think the assessment can made until the highlift is washed off, you can't pick a toner until after development time,

Absolutely. After the hi lift has developed then apply the toner. You couldn't do it any other way. Depending on how yellow the bleached areas are. If an ash hi lift is applied though then it's going to need an ash toner, blue or violet, length of time left on depending on tone.
Obviously it may lift to a beige tone even with the hi lift, so the toner would be assessed afterwards.
😊

Absolutely. After the hi lift has developed then apply the toner. You couldn't do it any other way. Depending on how yellow the bleached areas are. If an ash hi lift is applied though then it's going to need an ash toner, blue or violet, length of time left on depending on tone.
Obviously it may lift to a beige tone even with the hi lift, so the toner would be assessed afterwards.
😊

The mid lengths and ends are very white , previously bleached and 10/8 toner so too light to match up with the highlift tint I'm applying to her root area, I need to put a bit of warmth and depth to match up root color as I don't want it to look like she has warmer darker roots.

I'm not sure why the roots won't be as light?! You should be able to match it's up especially on a base 9...I would only tone ends to freshen up so it doesn't look like old bleach

The mid lengths and ends are very white , previously bleached and 10/8 toner so too light to match up with the highlift tint I'm applying to her root area, I need to put a bit of warmth and depth to match up root color as I don't want it to look like she has warmer darker roots.

I do my sisters with 12/81 and it comes out looking like a fullhead of bleach (used to have bleach retouch) and very similar to a client who I do roots of bleach + 6% and tone with 10/16. When I do my sisters and it's wet it NEVER looks like it's going to match but when it's dry looks good (touch wood!) so I would so the roots with hilift and then dry a section before deciding if you want to tone x

I would use a 12/61 on roots with 9% make sure you don't over lap leave for 60 mins then take her to the back wash dampen the ends and use the colour thats on the root to tone the ends watch for a few mins then watch make sure you use plenty of colour. If unsure y don't you do s small window at the back of your clients hair xx

Test piece!

What colour does your lady actually want to finish if she is looking to go to a tint have you looked at levels and chose the ones she would like to work towards?

Does she want to tone down to get away from the bleach look? Are you thinking few foils to break up or ensure doesn't feel too dark for her or more natural and multi tonal?

I think at her base foiling and highlift tint would be too similar and be a lot of work that won't look any different. For future ref, if you chose to keep highlights and do an all over, foil and flood throughout don't colour then colour again. I may have read it wrong but that's how it seemed you were going to go about it.

At her natural base level 9 shouldn't need bleaching. So I'd use the highlift tint with 9% roots and a level 10 Demi to tone the ends.

I use illumina 10/69 and in past used 10/1. & 12%.
She is a base 7/8.
She previous used xxl live bleach blonde she was white.
Her roots r slightly darker but doesn't look out of place blends well. I have tried with colour touch to darker ends but her hair wouldn't hold colour has she had over processed her hair. X

Also don't freak when it's wet... Tint anyways looks like its darker then when you dry it up it will dry lighter and cleaner

Test piece!

What colour does your lady actually want to finish if she is looking to go to a tint have you looked at levels and chose the ones she would like to work towards?

Does she want to tone down to get away from the bleach look? Are you thinking few foils to break up or ensure doesn't feel too dark for her or more natural and multi tonal?

I think at her base foiling and highlift tint would be too similar and be a lot of work that won't look any different. For future ref, if you chose to keep highlights and do an all over, foil and flood throughout don't colour then colour again. I may have read it wrong but that's how it seemed you were going to go about it.

At her natural base level 9 shouldn't need bleaching. So I'd use the highlift tint with 9% roots and a level 10 Demi to tone the ends.

She used to have bleached foils. Then decided she wanted full had bleach, I tried to get her to have highlift tint instead. But now wants highlift to make it more natural. My concern is that will the tint match up to the very white bleach on mid/ends. I want to slightly warm the white bleachd hair up as I know the tint will never come as liight and bright as bleach does. Should I run say 9/38 or 9/3 or would it be too gold with the 9/3.

She used to have bleached foils. Then decided she wanted full had bleach, I tried to get her to have highlift tint instead. But now wants highlift to make it more natural. My concern is that will the tint match up to the very white bleach on mid/ends. I want to slightly warm the white bleachd hair up as I know the tint will never come as liight and bright as bleach does. Should I run say 9/38 or 9/3 or would it be too gold with the 9/3.

The tint won't match you will have to tone the ends down, a level 9 in comparison will appear dark won't it given she's naturally a 9? I'd go for a 10 tone slightly but not too much x orrr if you tone to a 9 do your highlight suggestion, but apply bleach and 10 and flood rest with the 9. The tone will depend if you want neutral id use the 9.0 or ash if she has warmth in her hair xx

The tint won't match you will have to tone the ends down, a level 9 in comparison will appear dark won't it given she's naturally a 9? I'd go for a 10 tone slightly but not too much x orrr if you tone to a 9 do your highlight suggestion, but apply bleach and 10 and flood rest with the 9. The tone will depend if you want neutral id use the 9.0 or ash if she has warmth in her hair xx

I was thinking off toning with a 9 shade as I thought a 10 shade wouldn't make a difference as the bleach is very white. I once toned bleach with 9/38 but barely did anything and was Scary as it looked very strange colour whilst taking but once washed off it had softened the white bleach just a touch.

Latest posts

Back