Full set of acrylics/gels for £10?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookiemonster

Reaction score
Hi

I'm just starting to charge for acrylic nails on family and friends etc. However, after chatting with a friend I found out that there are some places in the Glasgow area charging £10 for a full set of acrylics or gels. Now I'm thinking that's pretty low, and I know my work's far from perfect so the question is how can I expect to charge any higher if people are paying £10 for techs. I know these places are conveyor belts, but how can they afford to charge so little. Feel like throwing in the towel, I want to start a small business; not interested in becoming a charity.

Will people actually pay for a qualified nail tech?

Believe me u don't want the sort of clients that will only pay a tenner! Decide what you are going to charge and half it for now although sometimes your better practicing on friends and family as you will attract cheap skate clients who then don't want to pay full when you stop the introductory offer, good luck x k

Last edited:
As someone who gets acrylics done - I wouldnt go anywhere who was any less than £25. Less than that to me means they are crap, or they are quiet (probably because they are crap)

The girl who works with me charges £30 a set and £20 an infill. She is busy, and there is a salon along the road from us charging much less, and in the town about 2 miles from you you can get a set for £15. And they look bad.

BE CONFIDENT and your clients will be confident in you too.

I posted a very similar thread to this a little while ago (but about spray tanning)
Keep charging the price you're happy with, you'll soon see you attract two completely types of clients x

It's a shame as seems a lot of people (at least in my area) are more worried about the price and not the end result x

I started doing nails in sept and I charge £10 to friends n family! They have all been very happy with this and the places charging 10 must b using cheep products cause that surely can't b covering all the costs!! Xxx

I started doing nails in sept and I charge £10 to friends n family! They have all been very happy with this and the places charging 10 must b using cheep products cause that surely can't b covering all the costs!! Xxx

I think £10 is fair for family and friends, these places can't be using the correct products, just keep thinking of mma :rolleyes:, and use of electric files on natural nail plates:Scared:. I've heard the horror stories about these kind of places, of course I can't claim this is the case with them all, but it does make you wonder.

Weve got a load of places here that charge £10 and ive even seen £8 for gels and acrylics. I am finding people are unhappy with the rudeness more than anything and that is then leading them to wonder if its a good deal or a bad job. Alot of people go to techs happily because theyve learnt from there experiences.

Weve got a load of places here that charge £10 and ive even seen £8 for gels and acrylics. I am finding people are unhappy with the rudeness more than anything and that is then leading them to wonder if its a good deal or a bad job. Alot of people go to techs happily because theyve learnt from there experiences.

lets hope they do learn, how do they get away with it, can't again say them all but some of them must be using unsafe practises/products.

A tenner is cheap, and they cant be making much profit unless they are using cheapy products. Im pretty sure that most people worried about saving the pennies will go there UNTILL they see the end result and they way they get treated. Then will most likely not return. If you are friendly and happy and create a relaxing happy enviourment for clients and produce great enhancements then your clients will be more enclined to stay. And word of mouth is fab. So i wouldnt worry about the salon, your fam and friends will be great word of mouth clients and you can start to build your client base with the right type of clients for you :)

As someone who gets acrylics done - I wouldnt go anywhere who was any less than £25. Less than that to me means they are crap, or they are quiet (probably because they are crap)

The girl who works with me charges £30 a set and £20 an infill. She is busy, and there is a salon along the road from us charging much less, and in the town about 2 miles from you you can get a set for £15. And they look bad.

BE CONFIDENT and your clients will be confident in you too.

Exactly.

My nail tech charges £38.50 for a full set and £22 for a rebalance. She is always booked up in advance and the quality of our clients reflects in the prices we charge.

I know the type of salons your talking about in Glasgow and my friend had been before. She told me they didn't speak English and couldn't understand what she was saying. Her nails were left in a really bad condition afterwards, very thin and brittle and that was with me taking them off properly. You definitely get what you pay for in these salons!!

Its such a shame! Because many people then believe this is how enhancements SHOULD be applied and are totally put off for ages. Not to mention the damamge done to natural nails do take along time to correct :(

I would be worried to go to a salon or a mobile tech who was charging £10!

Anyway £10 is not worth your time and products! How do they make money?!?

A home based twch

I am a perfect example of an assembly line salon...although they charged me $62 for pink and white gel nails ...OMG ! they efiled my natural nail and then burnt them it's awful, after 2 weeks of having them 3 fell off bbut i reallt think because thye are so damaged ! I wont ever go back and while i am just training as a nail tech i don't know any nail places where i am so i went ot the closest nail salon....I should have researched knowing what i know now!
I did remove the nails myself only to find my natural nail is very burnt and brittle. My nails are gonna take a long time to repair, i guess all i can do is treat them with solar oil and keep them short because they are so brittle.
So...eventhough i didnt pay cheap for my enhancements i def know that they used cheap products and didnt care for what they were doing. I will NEVER go back ! I need to get my nails healthy. I have always had good strong nails but now they look weak and as if i had bitten them which i have never bite my nails so for me its awful.

I would like to ask if there is any other treatment i can use that will help my nails be strong again and healthy ? I have not even put clear nail polish on !
There is a need for the real nail techs to charge a reasonable price because the real techs use good products and do care about other people !
Im not mad at paying $62, i would pay $100 if i got a good tech that cares.... I'm mad that my real nails are ruined ! :(

Aww Hun that sucks!! And 60odd for that they gave you is outrageous.. They damaged your natural nails and hurt you during the treatment. I would personally have gone back there and made a complaint.. Even if they didn't do anything about it, I would of wanted them to know I was extremely dissatisfied with the way they treated you and the way they carried out the 'treatment'.

Its such a shame! Because many people then believe this is how enhancements SHOULD be applied and are totally put off for ages. Not to mention the damamge done to natural nails do take along time to correct :(

Thta's just it clients/people don't understand the proper process/standards on enhancements and just assume this is the norm, even that professional techs are overcharging. It just cheapens the name enhancement and leads people to believe that £25/£30 for a set of acrylics is robbery.

Latest posts

Back