Fungus

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abi326

Reaction score
What would u do if a client came in with a nail like this ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1382038435.945450.jpg
I can't believe another therapist has been using shellac on this nail I feel so bad for this lady it's her special birthday this week need ur advice I told her to go to the dr and would only do something on her nail after I get a dr note

The green on the nail looks like bruising to me. I did a client 2 weeks ago who bruised her nail and this is exactly how it was...when removing the gel today it's black...it's definitely a bruise on my client...but all clients are different x

It's on the other nail as well and actually worse on that one and it comes and goes def not bruising

Wow that's a bad case! Unbelievable that she was being treated because it could possibly be fungal. I recently refused to work on a clients toes and referred her to see a doc, I suspected she had a fungal infection but I did her hands anyway. She came back and told me that it was a fungal infection and her doc says the topical fungus treatments are pretty useless, and the only alternative and reliable treatment is 6 months of antibiotics. Think of how many people that therapist has possibly spread the infection to! And what a pain it is to clear it up. (If it is fungal :))Ugh :-S

Ahh fair enough...not nice then they don't just grow overnight...the tech must of seen it when applying the set...hope they use a different file for each client...I'd be gutted x at least she knows a good nail tech to return to once it's cleared now x

Just think that shellac bottle especially the base coat could be covered with the infection and the base coat going onto the next client is going to be the perfect breeding ground as a warm environment is apparent due to the slight heat given off when applying the shellac due to the uv lamp .....then left on for two weeks to evolve not taken off like normal nail polish in say 4 -5 days...... Food for thought we do a consultation before any product or any equipment goes near any clients even regulars .... That way we know that we have tried our very best to prevent us from infecting or becoming infected with any clients infections

Actually the environment in a polish/power polish or gel polish is meant to be far too hostile to support anything like a fungus.......so I have read on here.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have been texting this client tonight to remind her that I need a drs note. She's not listening so annoying it's her 60 th birthday this weekend so I sold her own polish file and buffer. But how do I say nicely u must see the dr apparently she's had it for years and as the other therapist had been doing so could I but this is the worst case I have seen and i have been a therapist for a seriously long time

You are right not to work on anything you are unsure of but greenies aren't fungal, they're bacterial. Check out the articles section for the 'mouldy old fun-guy' article it's really helpful. Also check out Doug Schoon's info on sanitisation I've attached a screen shot that might be helpful.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 315
Sorry girls but this is basic nail technician knowledge. This isn't a bruise nor a fungal infection! It is a bacterial infection. It's on the surface of the nail and caused by lifting of a product (this can also mean lifting of a polish if worn for a long time)

Once the covering/overlay is removed and the nail is cleansed the bacteria are no longer living. What you see is staining caused by the bacteria.

You have been give good advice by Belle Vie.

This is unpleasant and could get a whole lot worse if the overlay isn't removed and the nail cleansed but there is certainly no need to go into overdrive about contaminated products and doctors notes.

A fungal infection (under the nail plate and quite rare on finger nails) is very different.

Read the articles suggested. It's fine to use Shellac after proper prep is carried out (and your products will be fine too). The client also needs to return for correct removal in the recommended time frame as it could probably reoccur! (in my experience, some clients are more prone that others)

Sorry girls but this is basic nail technician knowledge. This isn't a bruise nor a fungal infection! It is a bacterial infection. It's on the surface of the nail and caused by lifting of a product (this can also mean lifting of a polish if worn for a long time)

I don't know about you, but as a qualified nail tech and educator there is a ''Professional conduct and business awareness'' I had to pass. And this clearly stipulates that we are nail technicians and not doctors. We should know when to treat and when to refer. And since this nail tech was unsure of what was wrong with her clients finger, she was absolutely correct to refer her client to her doctor for her client's best interest and to prevent the possibility of cross contamination.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually my best friend is a gp and I called Cnd Julia amazing so I went on there advice i had fungal on a nail in the past my ladies are in lots of water she had 8 kids and that means constant washing up and cooking plus she swims 4 x week and she's a carer pretty amazing ladies.

You are right not to work on anything you are unsure of but greenies aren't fungal, they're bacterial. Check out the articles section for the 'mouldy old fun-guy' article it's really helpful. Also check out Doug Schoon's info on sanitisation I've attached a screen shot that might be helpful.
100% correct advice. Doug schoon is the world leader in nail technician health and safety and his articles SHOULD be known by every technician

Once the covering/overlay is removed and the nail is cleansed the bacteria are no longer living. What you see is staining caused by the bacteria.

You have been give good advice by Belle Vie.

This is unpleasant and could get a whole lot worse if the overlay isn't removed and the nail cleansed but there is certainly no need to go into overdrive about contaminated products and doctors notes.

A fungal infection (under the nail plate and quite rare on finger nails) is very different.

Read the articles suggested. It's fine to use Shellac after proper prep is carried out (and your products will be fine too). The client also needs to return for correct removal in the recommended time frame as it could probably reoccur! (in my experience, some clients are more prone that others)
Thank you Marian. As author of the complete nail technician your advice is exactly what should be considered and understood as one of the best authorities on nail technology and disorders.

I do hope that this advice (the best there is anywhere in the nail world) is taken for what it is and absorbed ...

Thank you Envy :hug:

Suburban Decay you are absolutely right and in this instance so was the OP. However, I was pointing out that this falls into the remit of a technician and should be recognised, understood and dealt with.

In saying this I'm not blaming technicians for not knowing (although this is written about in every decent textbook) I would put the blame on the shoulders of educators/teachers as this is basic knowledge

Thanks Marion i really appreciate ur advice and all the ladies here and I apologies for sounding or being a drama queen
When it happened I called Cnd straight away I would be okay if it was just green but this nail was actually partially lifting from the nail plate. And I needed the support. I was taught extremely well but I also know I am no dr and don't want to do anything to cause problems for the client and if I can do her nails as she would like me to do her nail regularly.

Latest posts

Back