Future mobile hairdresser

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owl

Reaction score
Hi there

I currently work in a high end salon. The money is good and my clients are great, however after a busy Christmas I feel burnt out, with only slightly over my normal amount of money to show for it!!

I am coming to the conclusion that I may prefer working for myself and have calculated that, even with significantly lower charges (currently charge £43 for a cut in salon), i could earn decent money with much much less work. (i may even have time to do some ironing!!).

I am confident in my ability however have only ever trained with Aveda colour and products. I do some home hair, mum, mum in law and friends, for which I use Majereal. I get on ok with this for highlights however find the darker colours quite flat.

I would be greatful for some advice regarding which colour to use. I would invest in a course to ensure I know the basics, as Aveda is quite different to other colours by the looks of things, however can't seem to find anything for home hairdressers.

Do you have to be a salon to get care from the big company's.

Has anyone else made the switch from Aveda to another?

Any advice would be great!!

Many thanks

Owl x

Hi first I would like to say going self employed is the best thing I have ever done, been doing hair 15 years been self employed over 6y use to rent a chair I now have my own home salon ,i have a account with schwarzkopf iv been using them for about 9 years never had any problem they have a large range of colour and products ,
Good luck with your decision :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

Thank you for your reply, I have been thinking of doing it for a little while but this Christmas was the final push I needed! It's good to hear your choice was right for you.

I will look in to that, I know nothing about Schwarzkopf ( even had to look how to spell it) so will do abit of research, thanks again! x

Yes ,lots of options for colour so do a bit of research to see whats going to suit you ,it was easy for me because I was using it already ,
Are you thinking mobile ,chair ,home or a hole salon :-D

Lol sorry just read the title aging :-D

I went mobile just over 2 years ago, same here in its been the best thing I could have done (been hairdressing for 15 years also), I use L'Oreal and have done since 1999, I have always got on well with the products (sometimes struggle with grey coverage though) I purchase mine from the wholesalers as without a salon I can't get a Loreal account :( one bug piece of advise is please don't poach your clients ... If they want you they will find you, I'm constantly amazed by the out if the blue calls or texts I get off past clients and don't carry any guilt or bad feeling as I didn't have to tell them myself. Being mobile is tiring and clients are more demanding so be strict with yourself and firm with your clients, and don't do favours as it doesn't pay, I have always worked Christmas Eve and although this year was a nice relaxing one (I got all clients to come to me) I still was shattered on Christmas Day so have decided to not work it next year. On a very big plus point ... My clients are so good to me and really look after me and most are very accommodating when need be, more Dothan when I was salon based. Anything you'd like to know just pm me xx

Lol sorry just read the title aging :-D

Lol! I would love my own salon eventually however I haven't got the Capitol. Also, am getting married next year and would like some little ones soon, so don't have the time to dedicate to running a salon.

I originally chose this profession because of its versatility when I eventually have children, but its scary step actually leaving the salon!

The idea of mobile suits me, however I know it has its downsides.

How do you find having people come to your home? I guess up sides are no travelling and lugging your bits around x

Thanks Nicola great advice. One of the things I have made up my mind about is not poaching any clients, we had a girl do that recently! Also I love my salon and would like to keep in touch with the girls and my boss so would leave on good terms.

I agree with sticking to your guns, it's so easy to do favours for people and then they end up expecting it all the time. Thanks for your reply :)

Yes its been fine ,my set up is good as they come straight into my salon area I have converted the dinning side of my dinning kitchen,i use my spear room for spray tanning ,their is only me and my partner living in the house ,partly moved to home with the view to having a baby as it would be good when they are at school and can come home and I can still keep working .not actualy trying but aways thinking ahead ,also after renting a chair its nice not to be cleaning up after others and things going wrong/ breaking and not getting fixed or having to fix them myself etc,actual like being in my own more than I thought :-D

Hi I hear what you are saying , Christmas was a killer for me this year and not a lot of extra £ to show for it . I have been looking into going mobile also, and have found various suppliers are happy to sell to you but my biggest concern is how to wash off colours without a back wash, and not getting colour , bleach etc in the eyes . Any ideas on this ?:idea:

Well all I can say is that its the best thing that I have ever done,I was in a salon for about 14yrs,mobile for nearly 3now,I don't take a portable back wash or anything,I get the client to either lean over the bath or sink and give them a wash cloth to pit on their eyes,and (touching wood!!)have never had any colour going into there eyes!! I also convinced my friend to go mobile recently and she also loves it.
I have been that busy that I have given myself a week to enjoy the time off playing games etc with my kids,and don't feel guilty.Do it!!! X

Thanks for your replies guys. Can't wait to get started now, however have to wait until later in the year to take the plunge with my wedding coming up and needing guaranteed money.

How long did you take to build a decent client base? How did you go about it? Leaflets, local papers?

I like the idea of the washcloth to hold on the clients eyes. How about a mirror? I know I use my mirror so much to create my cuts, can you get away with just taking a small mirror with you or do you have to lug around a bigger one?

Also have been looking at colours that people have been mentioning on here and am quite excited about trying something new. Working with Aveda I find the brightness / longevity sometimes lacking and am looking forward to trying something new, also home clients may be abit more daring than my normal Aveda clients so that should be fun. However does anyone know of any companies that do training days? I don't mind traveling to London etc.

Keep in mind that going out on your own will still require you to buy all your own products. I do not make any more money as a self employed stylist as I did back when I was an employee once I have paid out all my expenses. The one true benefit is the freedom and control of your own work hours.

Good point - I guess that's what I'm after really. I feel so tied to the salon, never really taking lunch breaks and certainly never popping out for a quick break, therefore 9 hours 5 days a week stuck in the same building. Just want a bit more freedom, I'm happy with the money I'm on so I guess earning more wouldn't be the top reason I am thinking of doing this.

I'm working in a salon full time and doing every hour god sends to fit in my private clients. I really want to get a part time job and go mobile! But am so nervous?! Any advice?! I do both hair and beauty and have quite a few home clients! Just need to find a little part time job so I'm not as scared!
Xx
Follow me @perfectbeautyu
http://www.facebook.com/perfectbeautyuncovered171?ref=ts&fref=ts[/QUOTE]

Girls just bite the bullet and do it, when I left the salon I had just booked my wedding too, I left in the August (1st to be precise) and was getting married the following march... I had a £14,000 wedding bill to pay, I didn't poach clients and I was definately busy enough to cover the bills!

Best of luck just do it. I was same worked my arse of in busy London salon back to back everyday didn't have a life felt like a number who had to meet targets and hairdressing was becoming to loose its value for me.

I moved areas advertised got website built it up and that was in march this year.
You have to work at it and be patient
It gets better and better. I keep record cards to monitor my clients and see it grow. A friend of mine been mobile 3 years and has 120 regulars I have 60 since march so looking on doubling in the 2nd year is how am working out my new business venture.
Adding an extra service also helps I trained to do spray tans waxing make up and extensions so your covering a lot more borders.

Good luck
Do it and
Happy New Year to you all xxx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Also feel free to check out my website

Hairbystephaniejayne.com all one word

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I make way more money than i would doing any other job- i only do part time, i come home for a weekend from uni to see my regulars every month or so, still having to build up client base at uni but i think that will come with getting to know more people and putting my work out there and getting it seen. For the hours i do which isnt much i make enough to be able to top up my loan and use it as spending/going out money. Best job ever :)

Iv been self employed for 6 1/2 years and I defiantly make clear more money now than I would if I was employed but ,but I suppose that depend were you work ,i would definitely do flyers try and make sure the clients that want to find you can without directly poaching them and get onto any free listings yell etc :-D

Latest posts

Back