Geeks in Canada?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pink Orange

Reaction score
Hello!

I wondered if any of you lovely Canadian geeks could give me any advice please? I have wanted to move to Canada for a long time now...Things have changed and It is looking like a more possible dream now! Realisticly its going to be another 2/3 years:( but that gives me time to better our prospects when we get there! I am a new nail tech, and have been a hairdresser for 12 years. I have researched the visa and am planning on using 'skilled worker' I would need to get a teaching qualification and would like to do this in nails, I am wondering if in your opinions it would be worth while? Are there Jobs in this area? Does it depend hugly on the town/city? where would be best? what is the demand for good quality nails? sorry so many questions! Thanks peeps:)

HI Pink!!

Well, first of all, it all depends on what province you move to, with regards to demands of services and what qualifications are needed.

My advice, get all the qualifications you can. Even if you move to my backwards province Quebec,(which I advise you don't, since you'd need french to survive) where qualifications are 'technically' unecessary at this point THEY ARE A GREAT THING to set you apart from all the ding-a-lings running about willy-nilly. I'm a great believer in continuing education.

There is ALWAYS a demand for Quality enhancements. It's a question of location and building a clientel which can take some time, as you know.

First you need to determine exactly which province you intend to move to. Personally, I think Alberta is FABULOUS and if I had my choice, that's where my backside would be!
While housing is pricey, cost of living is low and salaries high. I have been made to understand by friends living out there that Alberta is debt free, and that's why their taxes are so VERY low.
Quebec on the other hand is the HIGHEST taxed (on income, properties AND products/services that are purchased) in the US & Canada.
British Columbia is also crazy expensive and always rainy YUCK lol

Decide where you want to go, and then contact their government to find out what requirements are needed for that specific province. NOT all provinces require licensing etc. Toronto/Ontario is a tad pricey BUT there are some FABULOUS techs out that way and GREAT resources that I WISH were here!!!

hth's:hug:

hi ya , we applied as skilled workers about 3 yrs ago ... and we have just moved here in may , lol its a long process and the points system is always changing ! i think it changed 3 times while we were waiting :rolleyes:
we live in a place called st catharines which is about an hour from toronto , its south so we get better weather , lol we are about 20 mins from niagara falls and we are close to the border so can go off to the states for the day/ weekend etc...
with regards to nails and stuff here ... nails & beauty is not licensed ! hairdressing is and you have to do what they call a red seal ... but first you have to probve you have enough hours ... i think its 5000 ... so u need letters from old employers or declarations if you were self employed ,
if you move to this province i can help ya a bit as we learned a lot along the way ,lol
other provinces its different ... i think in calgary nails isnt licensed either but in manitoba, BC and nova scotia it is, hairdressing is licensed in all provinces( i think except quebec , lmao ) x

Last edited:
other provinces its different ... i think in calgary nails isnt licensed either but in manitoba, BC and nova scotia it is, hairdressing is licensed in all provinces x

No, it's not required in Quebec. No licenses for any beauticians of any kind is necessary.

wow really :eek:!!! i was told it was when i asked about my red seal , that how come i said it , lol , goes to show eh , even people in the know sometimes get it wrong , lmao

Yeah, depends where you go.
Here in Quebec, there are no licensing requirements.
Nor are there any set standards or guidelines.

You (as a consumer) have to hope that you have a conscientious and qualified beautician/hairdresser/technician.

As an employer, you can't rely on a diploma from a school because everyone and his uncle is teaching this that and the other and often, they truly are NOT qualified to teach in the first place BUT because there aren't any real rules here, ALMOST anyone can teach.
Soooo employer's have to do their homework when hiring someone for their salon; test them on their knowledge and skills and witness first hand their work.
Yay, welcome to Quebec :rolleyes:

I have lived in Canada for 10 years now and moved here from the UK. I live in Calgary, Alberta and I believe it's the best country in the world to live (I have visited a few places, but nowhere like Canada). You can't beat the mountains, the standard of living and the people are amazing. You wouldn't regret moving here for one second!:Grope:

Thank peeps:)
I want to come even more now! From what you have said I guess the first thing I need to do is to decide on province...I have Family in michigan it would be nice to within a 5-6 drive, although making a good living and a better family life is most important. I have driven up to Niagra (horse shoe side!) It was just the best time me and my dad have ever had! Although I was disapointed with the tourist shopping street! thought it ruined an amazing place...loved the drive and the places on the way.

Off to trawl the internet! Will post what I find! Thanks again:) Sara

Been searching! I think we have deceided on Ontario, possibly London or Cambridge? Do any of you know anything about these places? I would like to live in a more rural location and commute into the city...any nice smaller places you know of?

I have enrolled on my NVQ 2 course and can follow straight away with the 3! then onto assesors award! Thanks again for you help:)

have you been on British Expatriate Community : British Expat Community its a good forum there will be loads of threads about the areas you are wanting to research
as for niagara .. i was shocked too , lol but if you go to niagara on the lake its totally different ... theres all the vinyards etc..... theres sooo many beautiful places in canada it really is hard to choose , lol

have a nosy at my album on here its got some pics in xxx

Hi dee,
Thanks, I have had a quick look will join when I have a bit more time! It made me wonder if Mr Sweet has had some involvement! remindedme of my fav site! Will have a little nose at your piccys in a min! arrr...Niagra on the lake sounds lovely :) Sara

Hi there! Canada would welcome you!

As Victoria stated - there are very few provinces in Canada that are regulated. Nova Scotia and New Brunswick are the only two. I live in New Brunswick and in order to transfer you license here without re-testing you must prove to the association that you have worked in your field for the past 2 years. Income tax forms or employee records work.

NB is a beautiful province and the housing here is relatively inexpensive. Gel nails are big business here and there is always a job for a good technician. L&p is not big here, but we are trying to drag this province into the year 2009 one tech at a time as l&p is no longer taught here by the schools. We are the only distributor here that is teaching it.

Alberta is also a beatiful province - I totally agree with everything Victoria said. Nails are big business there as well. You can't go wrong in Canada!

I'm close to Cambridge, about an hour drive give or take.

Immigration here is hard, I know I just immigrated here. Skilled workers... well that means you need to be a worker in a specific job market that they (the Provincial Gov ernment in which you wish to put in your application to) is actively seeking. In a nutshell, they won't just accept any career, even if you have enough points to put into their points system (usually requires a minimum of a Bachelor's degree.) Example, nurses would qualify, nail techs would not. I am not sure about nail tech teachers, but I gotta be honest with you, I really doubt it.

Your best bet is to call immigration and speak with a Government representative before you make plans, they can point you in the right direction.

Best of luck to you.

Hi

Thanks everyone. Mely-bely I wondered if you could tell me more about the teaching side of things in your province please? What kind of demand is there for trainers? are these product based or in a college school? are all qualifications nationaly recognised? I am starting NVQs. Thanks:)

Hi

Thanks everyone. Mely-bely I wondered if you could tell me more about the teaching side of things in your province please? What kind of demand is there for trainers? are these product based or in a college school? are all qualifications nationaly recognised? I am starting NVQs. Thanks:)

There is a steady demand in this province for good educators. Educators that understand the similarities and differences btwn gel and l&p. L&P isnt taught here anymore, but I am really hoping to change that.

Our province is regulated - so we have accredited schools here that get approval from the association. I believe that your qualifications would be recognized here as long as you have paperwork to back it up.

Please contact CANB.ca (cosmetology associations of new brunswick) and they would be happy to tell you the requirements.

I work for a distributor and we offer upgrading classes. As distributors, we can only offer classes to those who are already lincensed by the province.

Hope this helps! PM me if you have any more questions - I would be happy to help you out!

Hi, I hope you dont mind me jumping on this thread.

I am actually moving to Alberta next year from the UK. And I was just wandering as a Beauty/Nail therapist. What the laws are, and do you have to re-train to work over there. Do you have to register ? And is it easy to get insurance ?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Hey there all
I moved over from the UK 3 years ago to Calgary and we love it - wouldn't move back if you paid me! We were lucky as it only took us 4 months to get over here once we decided to move - my husband is a Carpenter and they were in high demand at the time we moved!

As far as setting up in Alberta is concerned, I don't know much but I was able to walk into a suppliers with my certificates from the UK and get supplies from them so you won't necessarily need to requalify.

Hi peeps!

Just seen this thread pop up again! I spent much time looking into the process...and basically I need more points! I have started a process to retrain, I will start in Jan. I will have a degree in social work which fingers crossed will get me in! Long term plan tho:)

Hi peeps!

Just seen this thread pop up again! I spent much time looking into the process...and basically I need more points! I have started a process to retrain, I will start in Jan. I will have a degree in social work which fingers crossed will get me in! Long term plan tho:)[/QUO

Good Luck I hope you get your points...tryna convince hubby to move over to Canada but he is not so sure as he has moved country before (from Cyprus) and he says he would feel like a gypsy moving all over the world!!lol. x

Latest posts

Back