Gel clarification please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tamh

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I am a trained Bio Sculpture Gel and CND L&p Technician but lately I have been thinking of doing some conversion courses in other gel systems due to some clients having problems with Bio Sculpture. My prep is always done exactly but still I have some clients who have lifting on one or two nails with nno's or bio on french tips while other clients have no problems at all with these? I myself have bio overlays and don't get lifting even when soaking off clients with L&P in acetone? It is for this reason I have decided I should probably do another gel course on a tougher gel such as a Buff off gel like Brisa to offer to those clients who don't have luck with Bio. I switched one of these problem clients to CND L&P with tips and they have had no further problems but for those who definately want gel I need to offer something else so as not to lose them. I have bought a few sample's of a few nail products so that I can see how easy they are to work with to help me choose on which course to go on but I am still really confused after reading sooooo many posts on here. I don't want to stop offering Bio as it is great on my nails and many of my clients but which is the best for others or indeed is there something from one of the other gels that I can put onto my Bio to stop those one or two pesky lifting nails? i.e. my two main questions are:

1.) which gel/course would you recommend I take as an alternative service to offer to my clients for a harder gel alternative to Bio- should I choose Brisa, Akzentz or Lechats Nobility?
2.) Which if any clear/pink gels can I apply over Bio gel to make those one or two nails stop lifting- again can I use Brisa, Akzentz or Nobility over Bio to stop lifting?
3.) Also, just a thought- can any of these gels be used as a protective top coat over L&P?

Thanks, sorry for the long essay but I can't afford to do a course in all three as I have just invested alot of money in my Bio Sculpture supplies so thought you could offer advise on the best conversion course for me to use for an extra gel service to supply to my clients? x:rolleyes:

I have the very same problem. Most of my clients are fine with Bio but there are a handfull that need a stronger gel. I've bought some of the LeChat Nobility gel and it's lovely, but as it's very similar to Bio, won't solve your problem with the heavy handed clients.

If you already use CND, I would think about doing the Cut the Cord conversion course they have at the moment, where you give them your old lamp and they'll give you a new Brisa lamp for a pound. You should give them a ring just to check it out, I'm doing the course in April and got my kit a few weeks ago and the gel is gorgeous and really thin, so for the clients that are used to Bio, they'll love it.

Are you using S Gel by Bio by the way? It's much stronger than the clear gel.

You can use gel top coats over L&P too if you want to get a high shine without buffing

I have had similar issues with Bio....we are currently looking into en Vogue gel system. But my Bio rep said that for clients with weak nails (that's what usually causes the bio to lift because it's sometimes too flexable for thin nails) to put a coat of sculpting gel over the whole nail before clear or royal gel. It's much stronger and have found it works very well. Just make sure it's not too thick of a coat because it could look a little cloudy due to the gels colour. But if done thin it works great. Hope that helps until you get another gel to offer.

I'm a real CND Brisa fan and have worn it now for over 2 years myself and it is very popular with my clients.

You cannot apply it over a soak off gel, but the top coat is brilliant over L&P - HTH

I have had similar issues with Bio....we are currently looking into en Vogue gel system. But my Bio rep said that for clients with weak nails (that's what usually causes the bio to lift because it's sometimes too flexable for thin nails) to put a coat of sculpting gel over the whole nail before clear or royal gel. It's much stronger and have found it works very well. Just make sure it's not too thick of a coat because it could look a little cloudy due to the gels colour. But if done thin it works great. Hope that helps until you get another gel to offer.

Hi EmJZ- Do you mean to put a layer of the Bio Sculpting gel onto the natural nail before the clear, colour and tips? Does this then stop the clear or colour over it from lifting? Thanks. T :lol:

yup, you put a thin layer of Sculpting Gel on first before any other gel, cure, then finish overlay as usual. If you're usuing tips, you apply them first, then a thin layer of Sculpting Gel and finish as usual.

Hi, I am also experiancing the same but I use calgel which I think is near enough the same as bio! I am also looking into purchasing a buff off gel for the heavier handed clients as I find the calgel just is not strong enough for a few of my clients and definately not strong enough when worn over tips, I need to do something quick before I lose a few clients and potential clients and think I may look into brisa gel, I hear the name come up alot, I thought about trying entity gel too as I am hopin to go on a entity acrylic conversion course within the next month or so. Let me know what you decide to do as I think we seem to both be in the same situation! x

yup, you put a thin layer of Sculpting Gel on first before any other gel, cure, then finish overlay as usual. If you're usuing tips, you apply them first, then a thin layer of Sculpting Gel and finish as usual.

I do this a lot, and it is very good for improvng the strength but retaining the flexibility of Bio, although nowadays I never tip with Bio at all. I always sculpt and find it far quicker, stronger and easier!

I do this a lot, and it is very good for improvng the strength but retaining the flexibility of Bio, although nowadays I never tip with Bio at all. I always sculpt and find it far quicker, stronger and easier!

I do the same. I find that sculpting is much stronger than tips, at least with bio.

Just in answer to another of your points. I have successfully applied Akzentz Trilite over the top of Bio, for an extra tough finish, but I actually don't think that applying a buff off gel over the top is the answer to your lifting....I believe that its what is on the nail plate that is responsible for that!

Also, are you using Bio prep & wipe products? I did for a short while switch to another line of prep products.....'prep is prep' I thought and as long as the nail plate is ultra clean, there can't be any problems. WRONG! So now I stick to Bio prep products.

A few months back I started using a hard gel, for clients that were a bit harder on their nails. interstingly enough, I now use Bio for all of them, as I find it more durable. The cleints with the hard gel, used to complain about the rigidity of the nails and I had more lifting with that.

I suspect that a bit of playing and tweaking with Bio and your application (although I am most certianly Bio trained, I truly believe I learnt the most about it from using it and just trying things out) will have you happy as anything.

I'd also check your bulbs.....surprising how quick those little devils deteriorate wihen they go!

Incidentally....where actually is it lifting, zone 3 or on the free edge?

Latest posts

Back