Gel - hardening in pot

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jankax

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
hope this hasn't been asked a million times before, I've tried searching for an answer here but no luck! :o

I got a UV gel sampler kit from NSI a couple of months ago, and noticed the other day that a hard/'cured' layer of gel formed in the builder gel pot :eek:
I did not leave it open next to my lamp or on the table, I always put the lid on when not using and store it in a drawer etc. so not sure why this has happened?
Does anybody have any advice on how to prevent this?

Hi everyone,
hope this hasn't been asked a million times before, I've tried searching for an answer here but no luck! :o

I got a UV gel sampler kit from NSI a couple of months ago, and noticed the other day that a hard/'cured' layer of gel formed in the builder gel pot :eek:
I did not leave it open next to my lamp or on the table, I always put the lid on when not using and store it in a drawer etc. so not sure why this has happened?
Does anybody have any advice on how to prevent this?

Have you contacted NSI? I can't see why that would happen unless it has been in some sunlight or UV light while you're working and you didn't realize?

Do ensure that your gel does not come into contact with sunlight, the sun shining through the window penetrates alot of uv light, also make sure when you are working with gel that the pot is away from any rays of light from the UV Lamp (sometimes we can get caught out especially when we turn the lamp around and do our own nails)

I also heard and I cannot remember the source or if this is actually true fact, but halogen lamps/lights in the salon are not ideal when working with gel - maybe someone can enlighten us both if this fact is true

All UV 'can' cure gel (to a degree), you have to make sure that when you're not using your gel, even during the treatment, that the lid is popped on lightly to protect the gel from UV light, that includes UV light in the room, from the sun, from ceiling lights and also your work station light.

I once ruined a pot of gel by not popping the lid on while applying/curing, there was a thick 'skin' on the top of it and by the time I'd scraped it off there wasn't much gel left, I only made that mistake once :wink2:

We all do it and we all learn from it, usually the hard way :hug:

Thanks everyone for their replies :)

I reckon it must have been a combination of a few things - and like Sandi says I've learnt the hard way!! Luckily it's only a small sample pot, will definitely be super careful with my full size ones! :D

Latest posts

Back