Gel in Nail competitions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mystiq Jade

Reaction score
Hey Fellow Geeks!

I attended my first nail competition a few weeks ago, and had a great time, seeing I was the hand model. The competition was fantasy art in either Gel or Acrylic. Now, what disapppointed me, was that none of the Gel competitors didn't even place!! Now it's common sense that you can't build the same way in Gel as one would with Acrylic. Does anyone have any advice on how to win them over, with building with gel?? I really want to compete next year (and to make my fellow gel nail techs proud). Any advice would be appreciative!!

The first place winner's model was dressed as a Geisha, with cherry trees with petals, a chinese boat with characters in them, a hut. It was mind blowing!!

Hey Fellow Geeks!

I attended my first nail competition a few weeks ago, and had a great time, seeing I was the hand model. The competition was fantasy art in either Gel or Acrylic. Now, what disapppointed me, was that none of the Gel competitors didn't even place!! Now it's common sense that you can't build the same way in Gel as one would with Acrylic. Does anyone have any advice on how to win them over, with building with gel?? I really want to compete next year (and to make my fellow gel nail techs proud). Any advice would be appreciative!!

The first place winner's model was dressed as a Geisha, with cherry trees with petals, a chinese boat with characters in them, a hut. It was mind blowing!!

Oh my gosh...were gel and acrylic 1 category??? :eek: Thats pretty awkward i think:rolleyes:

Oh my gosh...were gel and acrylic 1 category??? :eek: Thats pretty awkward i think:rolleyes:

It was!! I felt so bad for my friend... I don't think they should have judged gel in the same category as acrylic!:irked:

We usually have separate comps for tips/acrylic, tips/gels in Aus.

But to be quite honest, if the products compete as equals (a far as clients are concerned), then they should be thrown in on a level playing field and "may the best product win".

Throw in the tip & dips and the Acrygel, just for good measure, then let the professional judges announce which is obviously better. It's obviously the best look that wins.

The end result should be what matters, we even have comp here using mixed media, tips, sculptures,gels ...... and the "look" is supposed to match up.

It's a fab competition to judge and the results are often striking.

If you have faith in your product, then there should be no "poor me" categories, just becaue of what you used.

You can build with gel as you do with acrylic, it's just done in a different way. Yes it is a little harder to do, but i build the same shape nails with gel as i do with acrylic, it took me longer to learn, but it can be done.

I do agree with Nailzoo, if you want to be in a comp with mixed systems, then you have to make sure you get the desired look the judges are looking for. Comps are hard, but a great way to learn your faults and see what they are looking for for next time.

Tell your friend to keep at it and she will get better.

You can build with gel as you do with acrylic, it's just done in a different way. Yes it is a little harder to do, but i build the same shape nails with gel as i do with acrylic, it took me longer to learn, but it can be done.

By building, do you mean sculpting? (for example: building a 3d penguin out of gel)? How would you build something thats round or square out of gel?

Sorry if I don't sound like I know what I'm doing... the whole building 3d items out of gel is new for me; but does sound like a challenge that I want to accomplish!! :)

I've tried to attach a photo of the 1st place winner, so you know what kind of sculpting I'm talking about (hope it works)! :lol:

I think the reason for this is in fantasy Gel 3d etc is pretty new but acrylic 3d as been going for years.

Latest posts

Back