Gel nail help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reebies

Reaction score
Hi all,
I was hoping some of you gorgeous ladies would be able to offer a relative newbie some advice.
I am currently doing level 2 beauty therapy and have been training with uv gel system.
Thing is, no matter how much detail i pay to making sure no dust or debris is left on nail and tip after blending etc or how much i prepare the natural nail prior to, My enhancements nearly always have a "milky" appearance on the nail bed. Any ideas?
I am using millenium products at college and The Edge systms at home.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Also any tips on blending would be great too!!!!
Have a lovely day all
Thanks in advance
Ree

A milky appearance can be micro fracturing

This is a common problem in low cost gels where uv light (sunlight) continues to over cure them and they effectively shatter at a microscopic level..

It can occur at time of curing as well - it's from either
1) too many photo initiators in an attempt to fully cure
2) miss matched gel and lamp brands

It could also be incomplete blending of your tip which can leave what we call a ghost shadow that appears 'milky' in appearance. Both the gels you are using are low-end products and once you try a high-end one there will be no going back! :)

Last edited:
Thank you for your advice. I am not too keen on the products my college are using but unfortunately I have no choice while training.
Its daft to think that I am doing level 2 training with low end products, but next year in level 3 I get to use the CND Brisa system!
Do you have any views on the NSI system, to use until I train with CND?

Thank you for your advice. I am not too keen on the products my college are using but unfortunately I have no choice while training.
Its daft to think that I am doing level 2 training with low end products, but next year in level 3 I get to use the CND Brisa system!
Do you have any views on the NSI system, to use until I train with CND?

The product you are using has nothing to do with how well you blend a tip. No matter what you use the area will look milky permanently under any product if not blended.
I would stick with what you are using for now and then change after your course, rather than buy into another brand at this stage. The Edge may not be high-end, but it will do for practice and then you can reward yourself with something better.

Thanks Geeg, your advice is much appreciated.
I dont think its a blending problem as maybe i should have said in my initial post, that the milkiness is not there when i finish the enhancement rather it somewhat "Appears"(!) gradually over a short time.
I watched an NSI demo recently and i must admit the difference in the ways that the product behaved were amazing. Consistency, pliability etc. Looking very much forward to rewarding myself with a decent product soon.1
Thanks again, Enjoy your day x:p

I trained using millenium and I found after a week (when doing french/clear) the cuticle line and side walls always started to go misty - it was the product lifting around the edges I believe. I was beside myself as to what I was doing wrong I then changed to Nubar & the Edge for a short while (another hard buff off gel) which were both fine for practice, but as soon as I'd completed my training I invested in a decent gel system (I chose Bio Sculpture) and have never looked back! I think the struggles I had with Millenium, although a mare at the time, helped me become a better nail tech as I had so many probs with it! My prep is now always very thorough and I am meticulous in my work.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone!, your advice has been very much appreciated. I am now using NSI and I am having no problems so far.
I think you get what you pay for and this case, that message definately applies. I also think that the more I do the more i learn and improve from client to client.

Cheers Girls xx

Latest posts

Back