Gel Nail Removal - Is this a common Practice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NICOLEOSBORNE

Reaction score
Hi All,

During my training I was told the only way to remove Gel is to file it off, or soak off if it is a soak off gel. However I had a client today the needed her gels off and was shocked when I filled it off. The place that she previously visited, wrapped her fingers in cotton soaked in acetone, then wrapped in foil and put in the uv light for about 15-20 minutes. Is this a common practice? I thought Acetone was flammable so not sure if this is safe? Looking forward to your thoughts and opinions.
Thanks so much!:grr:

I've never heard of this, I thought you were going to say they pinged them off lol.
Am interested to hear some informed answers though...

I am sure the UV light just warmed her fingers up. Acetone IS flammable, but I warm it up for removal at times. I wouldn't recommend this route because it could ruin your light, not to mention you have something in liquid form on your fingers near something ELECTRIC. Yikes.

Hands, liquid, foil and an electric appliance with in a couple of inches, that has to be a disaster waiting to happen. Would love to see their insurance form if/when it does.:eek:

It would be better if doing foil wrap soak off to put the hands in manicure hot mits or warm up a towel and wrap it around her hands.

One geek posted that she puts foils on and then a latex type glove to keep the foils in place better, then you can put them in mits to protect the mits.

Foild soak off method is great for doing the odd nail while you work on the rest first.

Latest posts

Back