Gel nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimedin23

Reaction score
I have been doin gel nails for 3 years and the gel keeps comin off.:mad: do you think it could be the gel im uaing as im using essential nails gel from sallys.

whilst that brand is not known for its quality, its more likely to be insufficient prep thats leading to them coming off.

can you describe what you mean a little more fully and i will try to be more helpful.:)

Agree with above poster. You really need to prep the nail well and ensure each nail is squeeky clean before applying and blending tips. I have found sallys products low quality and go to there for files and wipes.

I use crystal and en vogue and have no trouble with them.
Are you curing enough under uv lamp ?

I agree with the answers above. It's most likely your prep, review the tutorials available here at salongeek to see if you are doing everything right. Also, is your UV lamp good? Do the bulbs need to be replaced?

I get the client wash hands
I push the cuticles back
take awat shine usin 4 sided white file block
spray nail prep
size tips stick tips
Blend (using black nail file)
Apply bonding gel and under uv for 1 min
Apply gel under uv for 2 mins
remove with wipe
file and buff if needed
apply top coat under uv for 2 mins

i got my uv light when i 1st passed and used it bout 6 or 7 times i got it off the essential nails website.

Is my preperation wrong? :eek:
please help

how are the nails coming off, lifting from the eponichium area , breaking off or lifting from the tip area?

they are snapping from the bottom and in the middle of he nail its seems to be the gel that is breaking off

if they are snapping then its probably down to poor structure. you must be sure to build an adequate apex. too many people think you can paint gel on like polish.

when applying your gel, view the nail from the side profile and check to see how the apex is looking before you cure. try to avoid building the gel into a good apex and then spreading it out again with the brush or letting it self level before you have a chance to cure it. try doing one apex at a time and flash curing before going on to the next nail.

then when you file view from the side again and make sure you dont file your perfect apex away, which is easily done as gel files so readily.

what is the apex?

caladonian theray in glasgow scoland

am I doing my prep correct?
Do you think if i put more gel in the apex area the nails will stay on a vit longer?

i would advise the use of a cuticle remover lotion and a quality cuticle tool as a first step.
buildingthe apex will help prevent snapping.

Really sorry but I'm with Kimedin on this one. There are many, many different training courses available, I took over a year in college in evening classes, paid a lot of money for it and as a result, create flat nails and as with Kim, don't have a clue what the apex is and how to build that up. Surely its not our fault that we were incorrectly trained?? (or is that just a matter of opinion?) :cry: I've learned sooooo much since leaving college, I almost feel self taught!!!!

The money i paid was a waste I cpuld have went to sallys and bought the kit my self.
does ur nails stay on fine now?

When applying gel do not paint it on thinly, You need to apply a base layer and then build the nail up making sure you get a nice strong apex. If you just apply a strip of gel down the middle of the nail and then tease it out dont over work the gel either.

They rarely come off now but that's only because of the abundance of tutorial videos I've watched and the many, many questions I've asked!! Still havent come across a tutorial showing how to build on the apex though. Can anyone enlighten me on this??:lol:

The video above explains exactly that... how to build the apex.

My question then is: do you know or understand what an apex is AND where it should be?
Do you know what zones 1, 2, and 3 are?

Knowing whether or not you know the answers to the above questions helps us to better answer yours.

BUT... I'm thinking that you really would be better off with a one-to-one training with a REPUTABLE school/Product line such as EZ Flow, or Creative etc...
I think this would help you better than any tutorial could.

Kim,
All courses are different and everyone uses different words to describe things.
We have tried to make using our gel as simple as possible by putting all training notes up on line so everyone can see them, if there's any words you don't understand please just email me or ask on here and i'll happily help you.
If you do another course in the future though, be sure to find out point by point what they are going to cover before you part with any money.
Good luck hon

Emma x

Latest posts

Back