Gel or acrylic?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butterfly19

Reaction score
Hi there I was just looking for some advice.....I'm a total beginner within the industry and starting an NSI course soon. I've been told I can choose gel or acrylic on the first day of my course. I'm hoping to do both in the future but hope to start of with gel. I was just wondering if anyone can offer any advice as to which may be best to start off? Maybe its just preference but any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you X

I think you mean gel or l&p as both systems are acrylic.

I think it completely depends on your area rather than what we prefer to do as techs. For example I have NEVER once been asked to do gel nails and therefore have never trained to do them. If I start getting asked then I will do a Brisa course. Gel are more suitable for some clients though I should add, but if a customer wants l&p, who am I to argue.

I know some areas are more into gel though, have you looked at salons around you or asked friends and family what they have or would like to have done?

Thank you Kerry, excuse my ignorance :)

I would say most of my friends want me to do gel but when I booked the course they told me I would probably learn acrylic first as its more popular in salons.

My friends who like gel say so as they feel its less damaging to the nail & I would like it so I can offer colour as well as french.

I should probably wait until the day to decide but was hoping I could get some opinions from anyone familiar with the NSI course before I start.

Thanks again Xx

Thank you Kerry, excuse my ignorance :)

I would say most of my friends want me to do gel but when I booked the course they told me I would probably learn acrylic first as its more popular in salons.

My friends who like gel say so as they feel its less damaging to the nail & I would like it so I can offer colour as well as french.

I should probably wait until the day to decide but was hoping I could get some opinions from anyone familiar with the NSI course before I start.

Thanks again Xx

One of the things you'll learn as a professional nail tech is that gel is not "less damaging" than acrylic. This is a huge misconception. Both can be applied and removed safely and without damage if done correctly. One is not "healthier" or "safer" than the other.

Latest posts

Back