Gel over polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emmas

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed before and I have been searching other threads but I am slightly confused, hope you can help........

Can you put gel over polish on a natural nail- if I put a normal polish or some nail art on my hands/toes, can I put a layer of gel on top of this to protect it and make it last longer.

Also, do you have to have a base layer of gel on the nail before you apply the polish/ nail art for this to work?

Thanks to you all.

I have used gel top coat over nail art, but if you use it over polish you have to make sure the polish is absolutely dry or it will crease and move, so look smudged.

There are some gel top coats you are supposed to use over polish, but found these to be just as difficult to get to stay on properly with out creasing.

I'm sure there are some geeks out there who may know of something you can use.

I have used a gel over nail with no problems what so ever, but then just nail art will dry very quickly.

Thank you for your help.

I will have a play and see how it turns out.

Hi emm,iv done this before but like talons above says make sure the polish is dry or it will smudge it.I always use my base coat then the polish then the gel to seal it all in.hts ill watch this thread to see if im doing it wrong aswell.x

I do this all the time too :hug: Lately I've been using CND's UV Dry (for over polish) and activated by your UV lamp. Leaves a high shine and polish really lasts, there are a couple other that I use also !!

Thanks everyone

This has helped- when reading other posts some said you could/ some said you couldnt and others said you had to have a gel base coat first for it to work. I will have a look at the CND UV Dry as well as ladygold said.

When confused by all the different answers on here ~the best to find your answer is to just do it yourself and be the judge of it. Experiment. :D

It does work but i found after a few days it does crack off quite easily, but try it on someone like yourself or a friend first before you do it on clients xx

On clients toes I often apply creative stickey base coat, polish of choice and then finish with creative clear l&p over, set in a row of rhinestones at the cuticle before it sets & this lasts my clients a good couple of weeks

I have tried but tbh it does crack after a few days and probably doesn't last any better than a good top coat. Also you need to sit there and wait for soooo long before applying the gel - I guess if you work in a salon the client can wait while you get on with something else but I work from home and don't have time to wait twenty five minutes for the polish to dry before putting on a gel layer! :lol:

Latest posts

Back