Gel polish advice?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejboyle

Reaction score
What is the best and cost affective gel polish out there?

As far as I'm concerned there is only one system that stands out head and shoulders above the rest and that's CND Shellac.

Here are some of the reasons why it's my favourite:
- absolutely no filing or buffing of the natural nail surface during application or removal so clients natural nails get better and healthier as a result of wearing it, rather than getting thinner and weaker over time as they do with any gel polish system that required the nail surface to be filed/buffed/etched.
- Amazing support in the form of award winning education with ongoing training always available and always relevant. (speaking here of the UK specifically), and a great distributor with award winning customer service.
- A clear and accurate cost per service that can allow you to calculate your profit margin in a way that is actually useful and not just 'oh, the bottle of polish is cheaper to buy'.
- Using genuine CND Shellac after taking the brand specific training allows you to charge a premium for your service if you choose to, i.e, be more expensive than the majority of other's doing gel polish in your area because you are offering a superior service with absolutely no natural nail damage. This let's you attract the type of client who is seeking out high quality rather than just attracting bargain hunters who don't usually become regular clients.
- Large and growing beautiful colour range that is mirrored by CND's polish range Vinylux.

I love it! Can you tell?? lol! Good luck with your research x

Although we all have our opinions and biases, there is no simple or single answer to this. There is no one "best" gel - there is only what is best for you and your clients. There is a reason that there are so many gel polishes out there - so many different attributes and qualities (and colours!).

Do your research as this is a big investment that will really matter for your business. There are no bad choices among what we call the big-3 Shellac, Gelish and OPI, but there are also great choices that are not as well known or as costly. What is right for you depends on the attributes of the product and how that matches your clients' and your business needs. For example, is it important for you to have rnp, perhaps for retail? Then LeChat, OPI or Orly is for you. Do you need a hypoallergenic gel polish? Shellac is for for you, unless you must have LED. Do you need a spectacular range of colors and effect or do you want to use other brands' colors with your base and top coats? Gelish. Do you want/need LED cure - that's a huge deal breaker for me. What kinds of colours do you want? Do you want a builder gel like Sculpt or something more like Brisa Lite, or some other protective treatment like Vitagel? Do you have an existing relationship with a vendor/manufacturer? What about removal? Do your clients already love one brand? Do they walk in asking for one brand? How important is training to you? And let's not forget price!

There's a lot to consider and it can get confusing, so take your time.

I used to use shellac but converted a year ago to gelish and haven't looked back.
Training is second to none, and I love that if I have a problem nail harmony are only a call or message away offering help if I need it.
Their Marketing & retail products are brilliant.
Colours are amazing and they offer matching polishes to gelish with all that jazz.
Gelish lasts longer, is stronger, removes in 10 minutes & my clients love it.
So if they are happy then I'm happy :)
x

I used to use shellac now use ink London so much better better colour range last longer and CHEAPER http://www.inknails.com

It's a little like asking for the best skincare. Naturally I think the best one is the one that I use.

Go and have a few treatments and see what you like and don't like about different systems.

Some good advice on here!

Vic x

Personally I love gelish! The colour choice is amazing and I love the colour names hehe. I always find it lasts longer and allows the clients nail to breathe underneath and if removed properly doesn't damage the nail!

Personally I love gelish! The colour choice is amazing and I love the colour names hehe. I always find it lasts longer and allows the clients nail to breathe underneath and if removed properly doesn't damage the nail!

Nails don't breathe ;-)

I use Shellac but often get frustrated with the colour choice. I find they're more classic colours and Gelish and OPI have the funkier, 'young' ones. I know I can use layering and additives to make pretty much any colour I like, but I want them in bottles ready to use lol.

However, Shellac is an amazing product. My clients love it! It's easy to work with, reasonably priced, healthier for the nail, easy to remove and the training and support was/is great!

I agree with Vic, go and have a few gel polish manis and find out which one you like best.

Nails don't breathe ;-)

It's true, nails DON'T breathe...
Shan, who told you that it let's your nails breathe underneath?

Thanks everyone for the great advise. I think I will go out and try a few different makes before I made a final decision like you all have said

Thanks xx

It's true, nails DON'T breathe...

Shan, who told you that it let's your nails breathe underneath?

No one..
I always find wearing shellac that it feels too thick and my nail never seems fine after taking it off, whereas personally I find gelish less damaging, Wowzas.

I'm trained in;
OPI Gel Color - I liked it but don't use it anymore, although they have lowered the price recently so even better value and there are lots of choice in colours/glitters, led curable & matching polishes.
Bio sculpture gel - although a traditional pot & brush application I love it, so do my clients - I do more bio than any other nail treatment. Lasts 3/4 weeks & led curable.
Cnd shellac (I'm trained & a master artist) I love it, my 2nd most popular nail treatment - this is what clients know by name and ask for, they also have Brisa lite smoothing gel to use under for extra strength & longevity. The colours can be layered, uv curable & matching Vinylux shades.
Cuccio Veneer - very cost effective, long lasting and matching polish shades, led curable they do loads of offers such as bogof. They will send a sample pack to you doc to try.
Hope that helps you a bit. X

well dear, i use all 3 gels. CND shellac, OPI gelcolor and Harmony gelish. so far, CND doesnt last more than several days without nail starting to chip at the free edge(and i do all my prep and application correctly), OPI lasts approx 2 weeks and ive only started gelish so im not sure how long that lasts.
i think it depends on your nails. different things work for different people.

I've just done my gel course now I think I've decided I'm going to use Gelish I love Morgan Taylor so keeping it in the same lol. But I'm also loving opi so it's a back up. Thanks for all your help xx

I've just done my gel course now I think I've decided I'm going to use Gelish I love Morgan Taylor so keeping it in the same lol. But I'm also loving opi so it's a back up. Thanks for all your help xx

Glad you've found one you like x

CND doesnt last more than several days without nail starting to chip at the free edge(and i do all my prep and application correctly)

I'm sorry but I have to pick you up on this. If you're doing correct prep and application of Shellac there is simply no way it would only last for a few days. My clients easily get between 2 - 4 weeks without any problems at all. Have you had the CND Shellac training? Do you use the entire system, including the CND lamp?

I have a client that only comes every 4 weeks for her OPI Gelcolor as her nails grow very slowly, it never chips and the colour stays shiny and the same shade. The bottle also last forever :)

I'm sorry but I have to pick you up on this. If you're doing correct prep and application of Shellac there is simply no way it would only last for a few days. My clients easily get between 2 - 4 weeks without any problems at all. Have you had the CND Shellac training? Do you use the entire system, including the CND lamp?

Hi

I have to confess sometimes I'm having the same problem. I'm a Master Painter and use all the proper equipment and shellac from S2 but I have a handful of clients on which shellac just doesn't last more than 5 days, the others get 2 weeks plus and my mum has worn it for 6 weeks.

I just think that some clients have nails better suited to something else. Not that shellac isn't good
or even the nail tech can't apply it properly. I suppose same as some people can't wear acrylic but can wear gel. But that's just my opinion.

By the way is there any news on a CND a led lamp yet or has that not been further investigated. Xxxxxxxx

Hi

I have to confess sometimes I'm having the same problem. I'm a Master Painter and use all the proper equipment and shellac from S2 but I have a handful of clients on which shellac just doesn't last more than 5 days, the others get 2 weeks plus and my mum has worn it for 6 weeks.

I just think that some clients have nails better suited to something else. Not that shellac isn't good
or even the nail tech can't apply it properly. I suppose same as some people can't wear acrylic but can wear gel. But that's just my opinion.

By the way is there any news on a CND a led lamp yet or has that not been further investigated. Xxxxxxxx

I completely agree it's not suitable for everyone. However the post I quoted stated 'it doesn't last more than several days' presumably on anyone in which case the poster must be doing wrong.

If I have a client who doesn't get a least 14 days from Shellac I will apply either IBX or Brisa Lite Smooting first, depending on the issue, and I've yet to meet a client who this doesn't ultimately work for...maybe I'm just lucky lol

Re the lamp...I'm not someone who's in the know about these things but I haven't read or heard anything new so far about it. It would be good to know if it's still planned and if so when we could expect it :)

I completely agree it's not suitable for everyone. However the post I quoted stated 'it doesn't last more than several days' presumably on anyone in which case the poster must be doing wrong.

If I have a client who doesn't get a least 14 days from Shellac I will apply either IBX or Brisa Lite Smooting first, depending on the issue, and I've yet to meet a client who this doesn't ultimately work for...maybe I'm just lucky lol

Re the lamp...I'm not someone who's in the know about these things but I haven't read or heard anything new so far about it. It would be good to know if it's still planned and if so when we could expect it :)

Lol I'm eagerly awaiting an led lamp for shellac because it would speed up nail art so much lol. I use IBX but probably not as much as I should so perhaps that would be more advantageous I do however use smoothing gel but that hasn't helped. In another post you ask about the condition of my clients nails who chip and yes they are not good. Brittle, thin peely. The brittle lady tho has very shiny nails and oily skin so if she uses solar oil the nails peel clean off lol.

I must be the unlucky one lol xx

Latest posts

Back