gel polish + nail art

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaynorE

Reaction score
hi all
can you add nail art over gel polish same as over normal polish, then cover in normal top coat to secure the design.

eg, gel polish application, hand painted design, normal polish top coat.

does any1 do this at an additional cost to normal nail art design prices and does is mean that your nail art design stays a lot better to?

thanks

I like to use a thin layer of Structure or two layers of Top It Off to seal in nail art and prevent chipping. And I only charge the same prices I would for nail art on any other nail.

thanks for your reply,
and is this on gel polish or normal polish, thanks

you could do it by using a regular gloss over the nail art.
but i do the normal gel gel polish application,then after curing my 2 colour coats i
cleanse the nail
do the nail art.
top with gel polish gloss and cure to finish.

thanks great thanks

With the gel polishs u use acrylic paint or oil paints the a layer of top coat

I've got a chipping problem.
Should I or should I not cleanse after 2 colour layer?
Adhesion between the colour layer and top coat should be better without cleansing, but how about adhesion between colour layer and acrylic paint. Does sticky residue cause peeling acrylic paint from the layer underneath?

Meg xx

I've got a chipping problem.
Should I or should I not cleanse after 2 colour layer?
Adhesion between the colour layer and top coat should be better without cleansing, but how about adhesion between colour layer and acrylic paint. Does sticky residue cause peeling acrylic paint from the layer underneath?

Meg xx

you using gel top not an ordinary polish top ?

i only find problem with chipping when there are large areas of paint in the design. most designs are thin lines or dots etc and the gel adheres between the elements of the design. your paint MUST be properly dry before top gel.

i find acrylic paint doesnt dry properly if the sticky layer wasnt wiped off.
you could try buffing the last coat of colour lightly before the art, this would give the top gel more grip.

or perhaps in the case of larger designs, a polish top coat is better.

yes, I'm using gel top coat.

I will try painting after cleansing, but I'm kind of scared of wiping/buffing without top coat especially dark colour.
What's your opinion about doing colour layer, gel top coat, cleanse, hand paint and gel top coat?
Not good?

Thank you, Susan xx

just in case, I'm talking about Gel Polish not coloured Gel xx

Put a sealer on first, then cleanse, then art, then sealer again. This will keep you from wiping off color and give you a smoothe surface to work on.

yes, I'm using gel top coat.

I will try painting after cleansing, but I'm kind of scared of wiping/buffing without top coat especially dark colour.
What's your opinion about doing colour layer, gel top coat, cleanse, hand paint and gel top coat?
Not good?

Thank you, Susan xx

that would be perfectly fine. just uses twice the amount of topcoat lol

Put a sealer on first, then cleanse, then art, then sealer again. This will keep you from wiping off color and give you a smoothe surface to work on.
I've been doing this way, just this time I didn't want to sandwich paint art with sealer (top coat) gel to reduce thickness and cut off the time.

I think I've painted around free edge area a bit too much and also top coat didn't cap the edges properly, which cause this chipping.

Thanx ladies x :hug:

Suger&spice, acrylic paints for nail art. oil paints contain oil and dry too slow not suitable for nails.

Latest posts

Back