Gel Polish over natural nail. Can this be done?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prionace

Akzentz Geek
Reaction score
I've heard that Young Nails is advertising their gel polishes so that you can use them over natural nails and toes to achieve a long lasting color.
I thought that gel polishes could only be used over enhancements because natural nails were to flexibe, and the gel polish would start to chip and lift in no time without proper build up.
What do you geeks think? Can this be done with sucess? Has anyone tried it?

I dont use young nails, so can't answer for their particular product line.

However, with the two brands that I did try, you HAVE TO sandwhich the polish between two layers of regular gel, then add your gloss on top of that.
otherwise, it just peels away within 24-48hrs.

So....
gel
coloured gel
gel
gloss

hth's

I've heard that Young Nails is advertising their gel polishes so that you can use them over natural nails and toes to achieve a long lasting color.
I thought that gel polishes could only be used over enhancements because natural nails were to flexibe, and the gel polish would start to chip and lift in no time without proper build up.
What do you geeks think? Can this be done with sucess? Has anyone tried it?
Yes indeed,I do it all the time. Specially in summer I do loads of gel polishes on both fingernails and toes.As you know,Options gels are very flexible and it will flex with natural nail without cracking or chipping.

You mean you apply just the gel polish? No other gel required?

Base'n Gloss ,2 coats of Gel polish and Base'n Gloss.Of course,cure 2 min each layer.
If you want I can PM you instructions .

Why would any company in their right mind advertise that you could do something if it wasn't going to work??

My thoughts exactly geeg...

BIO-SCULPTURE WWW.BIOWCULPTURE.CO.UK

CALGEL WWW.CALGEL.CO.UK

NSI WWW.NSINAILS.CO.UK

NAILSPLUS BEAUTY WWW.NAILPLUSBEAUTY.CO.UK

All do coloured gels as do ibd...im sure there's probably more too.

Coloured gels are very popular, I do loads and normally over natural nails too.

Havent tried Youngs products though.

I've never tried to sandwich a normal POLISH in gel...all though i know some geeks have and say it works.

And do they last well Minkus?

And do they last well Minkus?

yep - apart from the regrowth which is more noticable with colour - bio/calgel sell the coloured polish to match so that you can paint over it or paint toes to match etc.

Gel on fingers will last 3/4 weeks no probs

Gel on toes will last ages - a good 2 months - looks fab in flip flops in the summer with rhinestones embedded.

ANyone that comes to me and wants a manicure with polish - when i tell them about COLOURED GEL and that it will STRENGTHEN the natural nail, it will be DRY straight away and that it WILL NOT CHIP...then they pretty much all tend to go for the gel option:green:

hth

Amb x

I'll try this and i simply have to see for myself... (I hope you're not ofended.... lol)

its just the same as a NNO but the gel has colour added....xx

I'll try this and i simply have to see for myself... (I hope you're not ofended.... lol)

offended? nope why would i be !

It works i run my business on it - i wouldnt be 'in business' if it didnt work !

Loads of fellow geeks are coloured gel users too

little angel, zingara, pazzy, bud, dawnie, adiva1, nemotail, jac extreme, bagpuss to name a few !

AMb x

its just the same as a NNO but the gel has colour added....xx

But when we do a NNO we build and apex so it is not the same thing, what i had a trouble was understanding how a flat on the nail lawyer of gel could hold up, as i've experienced in the past NNO that i created to thin or without proper builup in the apex to chip away and pell to easily... I would imagine gel polish to do the same, after all it is gel right?

But when we do a NNO we build and apex so it is not the same thing, what i had a trouble was understanding how a flat on the nail lawyer of gel could hold up, as i've experienced in the past NNO that i created to thin or without proper builup in the apex to chip away and pell to easily... I would imagine gel polish to do the same, after all it is gel right?

are you using a FILE OFF GEL???? i do have to say i find FILE OFF GELS tend to chip and crack on SOME peoples nails.

SOAK OFF GELS tend to be MORE FLEXIBLE so they dont do 'chipping/cracking' and they DONT PEEL away if you've applied them correctly and used the correct wattage lamp.

If the nails are 'active length ie to the top of the finger i personally dont build an apex...if they are long then i DO build an apex/add extra strength with clear gel first, then shape then apply 2 coats of colour.

hth

AMb xxx

For my NNO i'm using a filable gel, i still haven't got the options, I probably will as the business is the salon is quite good and now i can afford it, but it isn't easy having all gels when i only had 4 regular clients...

For my NNO i'm using a filable gel, i still haven't got the options, I probably will as the business is the salon is quite good and now i can afford it, but it isn't easy having all gels when i only had 4 regular clients...

you'll definately notice the difference with a soak off gel with the 'FEEL' of it esp when filing.

I tend to use Calgel/Biosculpture - i find Calgel stronger and easier to file but stock some of the biosculpture colours as my customers have their favourites!

And for my File off gel its Azkentz mainly or Brisa (azkentz because i just LOVE the warm coverage pink and the soft paint on white and the price and customer service is fantastic)

AMb x

Sorry Minkus have to disagree with you here .Light Elegance is a file off gel and I have NEVER had any problems with chipping on NNO be it Toes or fingers :)

Light Elegance

Sorry Minkus have to disagree with you here .Light Elegance is a file off gel and I have NEVER had any problems with chipping on NNO be it Toes or fingers :)

Light Elegance

Never used a coloured file off gel so...spose i cant really comment matey !

But i do find that with any file off gel i have used before in french ...on SOME peeps nails (as i said some not all :green: ) it CAN crack/chip.

If there is something you can advise me on that i could be doing wrong that is making this happen then my ears are open !

amb xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back