Gel polish questions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxsarahj25xx

Reaction score
hi, im a nearly qualified nail tech, but have not been working with gel polish as it is not part of my course. wondering if anyone can help with the following:

1. will i need a seperate certificate to get insured to provide this treatment? (i am will be qualified in acrylics NOT gel nails)

2. has anyone used young nails mani q range? (seems to be a more logical product as its 100% gel ranther than hybrids like shellac etc)

3. has anyone used young nails l+p system? would anyone reccomend? (not related sorry! just thought id throw it in there rather than start another thread!)

thanks in advance xx

Gel polish not included in my course either (city and guilds) but our teacher gave as a lesson when we requested it. As you will have learnt the prep methods/curing in your enhancement training it's very quick to learn the rest. May be worth asking your teacher?

Hi welcome to salon geek

With regards to whether or not you will be insured. Only your insurance company can give you the true answer. While most insurances and distributors only require a manicure qualification, some insurances will want you to do a course. I can highly recommend a courser because I've been painting nails for 10 years but still did the Shellac brings them back course with CND as there is always stuff to learn!! I learnt loads!

I've never used young nails products so I am sorry I cannot help there.

E x

Last edited:
thats what im doing, vrq lvl 2 nail technology. do you also only have to be assessed on blended clear tips with natural overlay? dont think the course covers as much as it should, we dont even get taught pink and white l+p!

as for insurance, i keep getting told different things! tutor thinks i need a certificate, contacted a training provider who assured me it was no different than a normal polish :S just curious on other peoples experiences on the matter more than anything.

I only offer manicure and gelish and before i did ANY practice on anyone with gelish i contacted my insurance company who advised me they will cover me to do gelish without having training. HOWEVER I still did the training as infact its quite different to using normal polish and I learnt so much more and now feel I offer my clients a true service and if I have problems, I have someone to talk to. Not totally sure but i was under the impression you couldnt buy maniq without their training first? But dont quote me on this! Lol xx

It doesn't mention anything about doing their training on the young nails website, but any extra training is sure to be beneficial!

Sent from my GT-I5500 using SalonGeek

I use young nails l&p and also their ManiQ range.... Both totally fab products plus the customer service from the young nails team is outstanding :) give their head office a call 01253 699999 and they will give you all the help and advice you need!
I would suggest a refresher or conversion course if you decide to go with their l&p as this gives invaluable help and advice as to working with their product ;)
Good choice and good luck x

Latest posts

Back