"Gel Powder"

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malea423

Reaction score
Here in the states I see where people go to a nail salon asking for "gel nails" and coming out with a l&p application. I have been told that "gel powder" is being used with monomer. Then a light cured top coat is used to finish the look.

It seems to be a bit shady, as the clients are not getting what they ask for, but they seem happy because the nails hold up very well and stay on like glue. However, there seems to be a lot of damage to the natural nail and it is difficult to remove..

Can someone explain the difference between normal l&p, uv gels, and gel powder?

Hi Malea, I have found that a lot of the discount salons use this procedure. Personally, I don't know if there is such a thing as 'gel powder' but the folks I've seen had L&P with a gel topcoat.

IMHO, it is shady to say you are doing a gel nail then do L&P. HTH!

Yup, seems it is a classic L&P procedure with a UV sealer for a price of gel nails:mad:. I've had a few clients coming with so called gel nails and had L&P. There is not such a product like powder gel. You can get acrygel. I do not work with it so I might be wrong but from what I've understood, it is basically a gel and you dip it in an acrylic powder for an extra strength but still you have to cure it under the UV light. Somebody who knows it better, please, correct me if I am wrong. I am absolutely desperate of the nail industry here in the US and I don't wonder why is it in pieces since so many salons do stuff like that:mad:. Linda

The process you are describing is just traditional L&P acrylic application with a uv topcoat. Disreputable NSS salons like to market this as a gel application and it is false advertisement as far as I am concerned.
Le Chat does make a "gel powder" system that must be uv light cured after each and every step of the application--and I have only ever met one person that actually uses the stuff!
The reason they stick well and the nat nail looks horrible after removal is because these NSS that operate this way are also notorious for overfiling on the natural nail with an actual Dremel tool--not even an efile! Some states are moving toward legislation to make the Dremel illegal to use and efile certification a requirement.
However, this is not just a USA issue; this happens all over the world. That is why it is our job as REPUTABLE, QUALIFIED, KNOWLEDGABLE, CERTIFIED techs to educate the public every chance we get!!!

Honestly, I don't see anything "shady" about such lines as Gelee by LeChat; the System has been around for about 6 years now and it's very durable and easy to use. However, Gelee is a Gel Powder System vs. straight (if you could even call it that, lol??) Gel System, and yes, there is a difference of course. I can see how clients would feel like there were "shady things" going on if they have had gel nails before, then all of a sudden, someone is tapping powder on their nails after putting a base of resin on! : O

Now, about the filing, remember the saying by Young Nail's Greg Salo:

"It's not the tools, but the fools that use the tools".

Where I live the discount salons "offer" three different systems:

Acrylic £18
Gel £20
Fibreglass £22

In actual fact the clients all get exactly the same thing. L&P with a UV topcoat! Because most clients don't know the different procedures and products so they are fooled/conned.

As far as I am aware, there is no such thing as "gel powder". How can a "gel" be a "powder"? They are discriptive terms!

I also see when I pass these salons clients sitting with their hands under a long homemade desk with blue light shining down. I assume people think this is some kind of UV light, but I do wonder if it is just a blue light and their nails are acually just air drying! Certainly I have never seen these types of desks in any trade magazine or catalogue.

Such a shame that these salons often do so much damage and put some people off having their nails done for life.

Just looked at Le Chat, looks like a gel and powder system, much the same as tip and dip with resin.

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't see anything "shady" about such lines as Gelee by LeChat; the System has been around for about 6 years now and it's very durable and easy to use. However, Gelee is a Gel Powder System vs. straight (if you could even call it that, lol??) Gel System, and yes, there is a difference of course. I can see how clients would feel like there were "shady things" going on if they have had gel nails before, then all of a sudden, someone is tapping powder on their nails after putting a base of resin on! : O

Now, about the filing, remember the saying by Young Nail's Greg Salo:

"It's not the tools, but the fools that use the tools".

I think if you read her post thoroughly, you will see that what she is describing is polymer powder and monomer liquid and no mention of a uv cure after each step of application. This says to me right off that it is NOT LeChat's Gel powder system. And that to me makes it all very shady.

I think if you read her post thoroughly, you will see that what she is describing is polymer powder and monomer liquid and no mention of a uv cure after each step of application. This says to me right off that it is NOT LeChat's Gel powder system. And that to me makes it all very shady.

Correct! It was a L&P application. The just finished it off with a nice light cured topcoat to enhance the pink and white application. They were nice looking nails, but very decieving to me when the only gel nails I have seen are applied like a gel, not L&P.

Thank you for all of your input. I always want to learn about new products, and thought I might be missing something...

I agree that its a pretty shady thing to do. Alot of places over here do it too. Im horrifed at the way some of these 'nail technicians' do nails over here. Ive mentioned in a couple of other posts about it, but some of the ladies doing the nails dont even have nice nails them selves. Im sure there is a nail board or something i could complain about them to? Anyways, ive seen this happen too. I know someone who went there who wanted gel and once done (im pretty sure they just did L&P) they left her with her hands under a small fan. They hardly spoke english to her throughout the entire process. Shame i wasnt there to tell her to leave but she learnt her lesson. I believe within a day they had started lifting and yellowing.

OMG..... this drives me crazy when people think they have gels when the chop shop said thats what they gave them... All they did was LP with gel top coat.. The person got charged gel price tho.. :( I always have to explain to them that they do not have gels... Those chop shops really know how to give us hard working, honest nail techs a bad name :(

My apologies, I misunderstood. Yes, I fully agree, gel topcoat over L & P here in Cali is done at the Chop Shops as well.

Shameful; can't wait until I'm an Inspector.

Where I live the discount salons "offer" three different systems:

Acrylic £18
Gel £20
Fibreglass £22

In actual fact the clients all get exactly the same thing. L&P with a UV topcoat! Because most clients don't know the different procedures and products so they are fooled/conned.

As far as I am aware, there is no such thing as "gel powder". How can a "gel" be a "powder"? They are discriptive terms!

I also see when I pass these salons clients sitting with their hands under a long homemade desk with blue light shining down. I assume people think this is some kind of UV light, but I do wonder if it is just a blue light and their nails are acually just air drying! Certainly I have never seen these types of desks in any trade magazine or catalogue.

Such a shame that these salons often do so much damage and put some people off having their nails done for life.

Just looked at Le Chat, looks like a gel and powder system, much the same as tip and dip with resin.

Well funny you should say that, i'm afraid that some 6 (ish) years ago, before I knew better, i had my nails enhanced by one of these 'salons'. I chose gel which of course was just l&p with a 'gel' top coat, they planted me under one of the mentioned homemade desks with a blue light and popped back 5 mins later to feel my nails to check if dry and sprayed them with a drying accelorant! Think i was well n truly duped!

Well funny you should say that, i'm afraid that some 6 (ish) years ago, before I knew better, i had my nails enhanced by one of these 'salons'. I chose gel which of course was just l&p with a 'gel' top coat, they planted me under one of the mentioned homemade desks with a blue light and popped back 5 mins later to feel my nails to check if dry and sprayed them with a drying accelorant! Think i was well n truly duped!

Lol.

I think since most of us on here started in this industry because of our love of nails, it is likely that, in our early days, most would have visited one of these places.

I had my nails absolutely wrecked on a holiday in Florida years ago. The guy efiled my natural nails to virtually nothing and pushed back my cuticles with his long thumb nail - yuk. I thought the nails were thick but OK at the time - I know I would just hate them now. When they eventually came off my nails looked a total mess for months. At the time, like most clients, I had no idea what products or system he was using nor did I ask or care, I just went in to "get my nails done".

Latest posts

Back