Gel Probs

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nat-Nat

Reaction score
Hi All

I have recently done my training in gel nail extensions. A set with tips takes me about 2 hours but I am not worried about that as I am only a beginner! What is worrying me is that although they look great they are not lasting!! The gel is chipping or the whole nail is falling off in the first week!!!

I am only using The edge products, I know these arent the greatest but it was what I learnt with and I got the kit in with my training, I can't really afford to get any new bits just yet. I've been back to my trainer who has been great but just wondering if anyone else can suggest things. I have had a few cancellations because of this and its getting me down, I've spent the last year building up clientele and reputation and I don't want to loose it! It's hard to find people to practice on as not many of my friends want them done, my boyfriend lets me practice on him bless him but obviously he wont keep them on so I can't see longevity on him!

Sorry for the ramble anything would be helpful!

Thanks
Nat :)

Hi,

I use The Edge gel. I don't have any issues with it. Just run through how you're prepping the nail's etc and what you're using in which order. x

Oh that makes me feel better then, maybe its just my technique then.

I scratch the nails, dehydrate, apply the tips, use primer pen then apply thin gel layer, set then apply thicker layer and then remove any tackyness. can you see anything I am missing out or doing wrong?

i dont use the edge products so cant comment on that but you dont mention if you are building an upper arch with the gel. A good strong upper arch (or apex) is what will provide balance and strength to support the tips youve attached

x

It appears your not removing cuticle/non-living tissue from the nail plate.
Are you doing this as part of your prep?
If there is anything on the nail or the prep is not thorough it can cause lifting/ the product doesnt adhere fully and this will cause them to lift/ pop off.

Also if you are touching the skin with the gel then you will also get lifting.

If you are having problems with chipping it could be to thin x

Thanks all, I was taught to make it level rather than an arch so maybe that could be a problem and maybe not pushing the cuticle back enough? I'll try all those tips and I was wondering if the gel wasnt thick enough as it was cracking a lot!

Thanks for your help! Fingers crossed that I will improve!

Thanks all, I was taught to make it level rather than an arch so maybe that could be a problem and maybe not pushing the cuticle back enough? I'll try all those tips and I was wondering if the gel wasnt thick enough as it was cracking a lot!

Thanks for your help! Fingers crossed that I will improve!

Hun I know we can kind of self teach our selfs alot and improve on what we have already learned but if you haven't been tought how to build the structure of the nail correctly ,then it will be very difficult to improve on your own , it might be best to get some more training or do a one 2 one and focus on structure. x

Last edited:
i use the edge and dont seem to have any problems with it, its not as good as some gels i ve used but not bad! make sure your putting it on thick enough but not too thick as it will bleed onto side walls, also make sure when u put tips on their not too small as this can pop them off also make sure the glue isnt getting onto skin as that can also cause lifting . hope this helps x:lol:

thats a great tutorial to read, even as a refresher. Thanks for the link Min11 xx

hi!
theres another tutorial on here that geeg has done about applying gels and its completely changed my technique! deffo give that a read x

Latest posts

Back