Gel top coat over rhinestones?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amethyst_Angel

Reaction score
Good morning knowledgable peeps!

I have a bit of a question. I remember a wee while back reading a thread suggesting that you should avoid putting nail polish topcoat over rhinestones as sometimes the topcoat dulled the sparkliness of the rhinestones.

Anyhoo... I shall be attempting a fairly ambitious project (considering my skill level!) of Brisa skeleton leaf nails with a rhinestone encrusted smile line for a wedding I shall shortly be attending. My question is... does the same caveat apply for gel topcoats? Should I leave my rhinestones naked or would it be okay do you think to encapsulate them in gel topcoat?

Any advice/opinions greatly appreciated!

:hug:

I put Brisa UV Finishing Gloss over gems and stickers all the time and have never seen them dull.
The clients love the fact they are solid underneath and the risk of losing one is nil :hug:

I avoid going over the top of the stones with my gel topcoat because IMO it does dull the sparkle (I use Swarovski crystals).

Just work the brush around the base of the stones and they are anchored really firmly. HTH

or apply your top gel, then your rhinestone, and bam in the lamp...

Thanks for the replies, geeks! Think I might have a play this weekend and see what I prefer. :green:

:hug:

like so much of our work in the nail world , this is all down to science.
its a matter of physics !

the rhinestines are cut with faceted edges.
this means that the stone has many flat surfaces.
each flat suface acts like a mirror, reflecting light.
the light reflected = sparkle of the stones.

when you coat the stones with ANY kind of topcoat it slightly rounds the surfaces and edges of each facet.
the less flat surfaces the stone has , the less reflective it becomes and thus the sparkle is reduced.

swarovski crystals are the most sparkly because they have more facets than other brands and a higher lead content in the glass which enhances the reflective quality.

or apply your top gel, then your rhinestone, and bam in the lamp...

this works well because it embed the stone slightly, firmly anchoring the base.
but it doesnt clog the facets of the stone.

like so much of our work in the nail world , this is all down to science.
its a matter of physics !

the rhinestines are cut with faceted edges.
this means that the stone has many flat surfaces.
each flat suface acts like a mirror, reflecting light.
the light reflected = sparkle of the stones.

when you coat the stones with ANY kind of topcoat it slightly rounds the surfaces and edges of each facet.
the less flat surfaces the stone has , the less reflective it becomes and thus the sparkle is reduced.

swarovski crystals are the most sparkly because they have more facets than other brands and a higher lead content in the glass which enhances the reflective quality.

WOW! Thanks for that! Very interesting! :hug:

Latest posts

Back