Gel top coats over polish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spakitten

Reaction score
Hi!
I love having my nails done but cannot wear soak off gels as I am constantly handling acetone (as I do soak off nails on my clients). So I've been experimenting with gel lately. I build structured gel nails, then paint them with regular nail polish (OPI), then apply a gel sealer over the polish and cure it (IBD). They are OKAY but look far from perfect. I find the gel top coat isn't very shiny when applied over regular nail polish, and the top coat also feels a tad "mushy" just not strong like it would be of it were applied over the gel on its own. Can you just not use sealers over regular nail polish or am I doing something wrong?
*please do not recommend colored gel as I change my color too frequently and it would be too expensive. I also like hand painting nail art which you can't do with colore gel.

Any tips would be appreciated! I mean they don't look aweful but I would like them to be perfect :) thanks!

Can you just not wear gloves?

I wear shellac and normal polish deepening on my mood and soak off all day a d don't lose any on my nails perhaps your using too much acetone?

i wear gel or shellac and get 2 weeks wear even with soaking clients off??

have you tried using tweezers when dipping cotton in acetone or getting a squeezy bottle (one that withstands acetone) to squeeze the acetone onto the cotton??

To answer the original question I have waited 24hr between applying polish and then gel topcoating. You ideally need the polish to fully harden, but this is not recommended procedure as you know, and not something I do on clients but have done on myself.

As per the above two posts, you are really risking yourself to overexposure if you are exposing your fingers to that much acetone that your gel manicure is ruined, you need to find a better way of working hon because someday you might not be able to work at all :sad: Xx

Ive read posts on SG that says the polish needs to be fully dried.

If you want to wear a BOG over your polish then try Purity Quick Shine by Pure Nails. As long as the polish is 'Touch Dry' then you can apply the Purity Quick Shine Gel and cure.

Should last 2-3 weeks and as there is a Buff Off gel layer on top, they will be acetone resistant

To answer the original question I have waited 24hr between applying polish and then gel topcoating. You ideally need the polish to fully harden, but this is not recommended procedure as you know, and not something I do on clients but have done on myself.

As per the above two posts, you are really risking yourself to overexposure if you are exposing your fingers to that much acetone that your gel manicure is ruined, you need to find a better way of working hon because someday you might not be able to work at all :sad: Xx

Sorry to jump in on this post but my nails seem to get wrecked too when soaking off others. Do you wear gloves?! X

Sometimes just for the soak off part I'll wear gloves. Get them small enough and they don't interfere Xx

Thank you am gonna go buy some! X

Try coating the polish with a bae coat first then 1 or 2 top coats it should give u more shine x

Latest posts

Back