Gel - When To File??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tanyalouise

Reaction score
Hi,

Most of my clients are liquid and powder although just recently some of them have wanted to change to Gel.

When I was trained on Gel, we were taught to file after the nail had the final coat of gel on and was wiped with a gel wipe.

The problem with this is that it removes the shiny finish of the gel and then needs a top coat. The clients all prefer the natural gel sheen.

The obvious solution seems to be to file prior to applying the final coat of gel (as presumably this stops breaking the seal as well (something I wasn't told about in training but have learnt from this site).

I have two questions:--

1. Do I use a gel wipe at this stage to remove stickiness, then file prior to the final layer of gel,

and

2. Prior to putting on the final layer of gel, what is the best way to remove the dust. Presumably if a gel wipe is used at this stage, the nail would be too shiny for the final layer to stick to.

Hope this makes sense (I'm probably making real hard work of it) and hope someone can help.

Tanya

Hi Fellow Leicester Geek!!
What gel are you using? I have just started out on Bio Sculpture, and find i have hardly need to do any filing at all.

I'm currently using Nail-Solutions Calcium Gel. Like this one because you file to remove it and it files down in roughtly half the time of other gels.

It doesn't need a lot of filing for finishing but does need some (think this is my inexperience not the gel!!)

What part of leicester are you from??

Tanya

Anstey,

Just done my bio-sculpture course, but also trained in l+p and (hopefully converting to Creative shortly - cant wait!!)

Hi Tanya

Just thought id have my say in this one.............. lol

I use IBD gel an if you get the shape you want before you go in an cure it
you dont need to do any filling.......... you just basically remove the sticky an then apply oil an your done.

But i must say if you do get a nail that you feel needs re-shaping after removing the sticky then file an shape the nail then in the ibd system we use a ultra seal
which is like a top coat in a bottle but also like gel its very thick you apply that like nail varnish cure for 1 min then remove the sticky again. It gives an excelent shine just like the gel........ an is great for sealing in nail art!

Hope this helps a little

are you happy with the gel your using ?

I have tried several but do like the sound of the new brisa gel that dear ruth has been chatting to me about that i may try in the near future

anyway enuf from me
bbfn

Hi Tanya

I use Brisa gel and after the last layer of sculpting gel I remove the sticky layer and shape/smooth if necessary. A disinfectable brush is great for removing the dust at this stage before the final coat of uv finishing gloss (or whatever top coat gel you use).

HTH
Shaza :Love:

Hi there

I use gel (NSI Balance). After the final layer I always wipe the sticky residue off and do any filing that needs doing to reshape the nail. If it doesnt need filing, as Hayley says just remove the sticky and apply oil.

I always reshape the nail to get the shape I want. I then dust off with a nail brush (hard bristle type one) or ask the client to wash their hands making sure the nails are completely dry before applying a uv top coat. This makes the nails really shiny again. Most gel systems have a sealer or top coat.

Hope this helps.

Emma

Thanks girls for the advice.

I will switch to a UV top coat. Hopefully as I improve I won't need to do any filing. That'll be the day!!!

Tanya
x

Dont put yourself down...i have never used the product you use so have no idea what its like, but.... the BIO is self leveling and i have had no hitches - not one need for filing after only doing 1/2 a dozen sets.

I know its all expense expense but maybe you'd benefit from trying other gels.

Just a thought..could be wrong!!

Adding to that If you want to see how the bio goes on if your not far away i'll show you pm me.

Ambx

MINKUS said:
Dont put yourself down...i have never used the product you use so have no idea what its like, but.... the BIO is self leveling and i have had no hitches - not one need for filing after only doing 1/2 a dozen sets.

I know its all expense expense but maybe you'd benefit from trying other gels.

Just a thought..could be wrong!!

Adding to that If you want to see how the bio goes on if your not far away i'll show you pm me.

Ambx
Well hats off to those who say they can make perfect full sets without having to do any filing.!!

I consider myself an excellent technician with all systems, but I don't think I have ever done a set of nails without having to do some filing to make things absolutely perfect. I work towards having to do as little filing as possible but there is always some to do. Maybe we look for different things in perfection.

To bad I don't live near you ... I'd come for a class!!

I have to do 'minimal' filing to perfect the shape of the free edge and sides but havent found any need to go over the nail (breaking the seal).

Perhaps i didnt put that down correctly!

I didnt offer a 'class' (no where near competent enough to suggest such a thing!)

I was merely offering my help and an opportunity to see another product being used without having to pay for it!

Sorry if it was interpreted otherwise - cant win!.
icon_redface.gif

There is nothing wrong with offering alternative products you need to test out different ones before you find one that you like working with. I know bio sculpture is a popular gel. I use NSI Balance I think that is great. I to apply the gel and only need to touch up the odd one or two without to much filing to give a nice glassy finish. It is possible. I have now switched completley to Gel as the fumes from monomer were affecting my asthma. I have not been dissapointed. If you do need to file down you can use a thin nail polish like layer of gel, this would be the same as using a top coat.

Good luck with you gel Tanya :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back