Gelish nail lifting after 5 days

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nails at Home

Reaction score
Following recent instructions on being told to apply Gelish foundation extra extra thin I have now started doing this. However, my daughter has just told me that she has one lifting after 5 days. I take it it's near the cuticle edge but have yet to see it - maybe I didn't prep properly, really not sure.

However, I am also a bit concerned that as there is so little foundation on the brush now is it sufficiently covering the free edge when I apply it there? You can't tell if it is doing this or not as it is so thin.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated - thank you.

Looking through your previous posts, it would appear you bought a very cheap lamp from Amazon and your Gelish stock from Ebay.

One or other of those two reasons is probably why you are having problems and will probably continue to have problems.

That said, lifting at the cuticle edge could also be a prep problem. It would be a problem for any nail system be it enhancements, polish or gel polish.

Have you done any gel polish training? I also noticed that you didn't get on with Shellac.

The training courses are relatively cheap and really are well worth the time, effort and investment to iron out problems. A professional course would pay for itself in no time at all.

Hi Juicy Lucy

Yes I did buy my lamp from Amazon and I had originally bought the first lot of my gels from ebay before I realised that they may be fakes. I have since bought colours from Salon Services and Nail Harmony - especially as I am now going back to being a mobile technician and not just doing it on myself and family/friends.

The colour I used on my daughter is in fact one of the reds from the Winter Collection ordered from Nail Harmony. To be honest my daughter seems to be very heavy on her hands and nail products never seem to last very long on her and never have. I've done my own nails plus other people's and usually get no problems for a good 2 weeks and one of my recent friends had hers on for nearly 3 weeks. It seems to be the same story whether it's with the ebay Gellish or the original stuff so maybe it was just the prep on this particular application.

I have also looked into booking a conversion course which is being held locally to me in about 3 weeks time so hopefully I can iron out any problems there.

Before this course though is somebody able to give me advice re the application of the foundation on the free edge please? Still a little concerned that there isn't enough to cover all 5 nails and also the free edge without re-dipping the brush :sad:

Hi Juicy Lucy

Yes I did buy my lamp from Amazon and I had originally bought the first lot of my gels from ebay before I realised that they may be fakes. I have since bought colours from Salon Services and Nail Harmony - especially as I am now going back to being a mobile technician and not just doing it on myself and family/friends.

The colour I used on my daughter is in fact one of the reds from the Winter Collection ordered from Nail Harmony. To be honest my daughter seems to be very heavy on her hands and nail products never seem to last very long on her and never have. I've done my own nails plus other people's and usually get no problems for a good 2 weeks and one of my recent friends had hers on for nearly 3 weeks. It seems to be the same story whether it's with the ebay Gellish or the original stuff so maybe it was just the prep on this particular application.

I have also looked into booking a conversion course which is being held locally to me in about 3 weeks time so hopefully I can iron out any problems there.

Before this course though is somebody able to give me advice re the application of the foundation on the free edge please? Still a little concerned that there isn't enough to cover all 5 nails and also the free edge without re-dipping the brush :sad:

You need to kind of scrub the foundation into the nail so it gets into any ridges.

Children's nails are very soft so not the best for wearing.

Hi Juicy Lucy

I dip my brush in the bottle once, wipe off most of the foundation and that covers all 5 nails, I know what you're saying when you think that there might not be enough but ive always done this and not had any problems, majority of my clients go 4 weeks plus (which isnt very lucrative for me!!!) and their nails only have regrowth, no chips.

I have a client who always comes back within a week for a repair on the same 2 nails everytime, its obviously something she is doing, not everyone will get long term wear from it.

When I first started out doing Gelish on my sis and mum they always got the odd chip or lift in the first week, now my mum goes 3 weeks and my sis 4, I think once you have done your course and picked up a lot of little tips that you are probably missing you will be fine, practice does make perfect!

Actually, unless you have a five finger lamp you will only be doing four fingers at a time without redipping - there is certainly enough on a scraped brush for that.

You will certainly gain a lot from doing a course. As KattyJ says "Practice makes perfect", but better still as Geeg says "Perfect practice makes perfect" i.e. there is no point practicing and practicing if you are making the same mistakes.

Actually, unless you have a five finger lamp you will only be doing four fingers at a time without redipping - there is certainly enough on a scraped brush for that.

You will certainly gain a lot from doing a course. As KattyJ says "Practice makes perfect", but better still as Geeg says "Perfect practice makes perfect" i.e. there is no point practicing and practicing if you are making the same mistakes.

This is very true, there were so many little things I learnt on my course that I didnt even think of doing, it definitely helped.

Latest posts

Back