Gelish or OPI Gelcolor

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Zoe*

Reaction score
LIke many of you other geeks I have been spending months trying to decide what brand to go with. I have read numerous threads and researched lots into the brands but still I can't decide :-(

OPI Gelcolor
+ I have the OPI UV lamp already
+ I already use their polishes
- Some people have said it chips

Gelish
+ Great range
+ Seems decent quality
- I don't stock any other Nail Harmony product

Argggh!! Its driving me mad! I think I should buy OPI as it will look more professional as I already stock it, but if Gelish is really that much better, maybe I should invest in that.

I've taken too long to make a decision already, I really need to just go for one now :-/

Whats everyone elses' thoughts?

I've started using OPI Gelcolor and i think its fantastic so do my clients. However you will need their LED lamp not uv! The great thing is that if you already use OPI varnish the colors come in the same for Gelcolor so you can retail the varnish. OPI every time for me!!! I've no experience of Gelish so couldn't comment on them!

Hi Tara,

I was told I could use their UV lamp, it would just take longer to cure.

Hi Zoe

Yes sorry you can use the uv but the Led is fab only 30 seconds cure time well worth investing in!!!

It does look amazing :) I do plan on investing in it, but with the products and training etc, that will have to be in a few months :)

So you are really liking OPI then? How have you found the quality and longevity of it? Is it lasting 2 weeks? You having issues with the dreaded chipping?

Thanks for your replies :)

LIke many of you other geeks I have been spending months trying to decide what brand to go with. I have read numerous threads and researched lots into the brands but still I can't decide :-(

OPI Gelcolor
+ I have the OPI UV lamp already
+ I already use their polishes
- Some people have said it chips

Gelish
+ Great range
+ Seems decent quality
- I don't stock any other Nail Harmony product

Argggh!! Its driving me mad! I think I should buy OPI as it will look more professional as I already stock it, but if Gelish is really that much better, maybe I should invest in that.

I've taken too long to make a decision already, I really need to just go for one now :-/

Whats everyone elses' thoughts?

Just to complicate things more...

Gelish
+ extensive colour range, close to 100 colours, including effects
+ very durable, acetone resistant topcoat
-/+ sold at Sally easy to get, but looks less professional

OPI
+ good and growing colour (42?) range with iconic colours known to clients, available as RNP
+ very easy removal
- some colours stain

Between Gelish and OPI, in your case, I'd lean towards OPI since you already have a client base that knows it, there is the retail opportunity and presumably you already have a relationship with your OPI distributor.

Hi,

Id go for Gelish all the way.
I did a thread about them recently:
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/185106-gelish-vs-opi-gelcolor-verdict.html

I found OPI chipped alot. And even though OPI is very well known I still get alot of customers wanting it. Ive found now ive switched to Gelish ive had more interest x

EDIT: Also Ive had my Gelish on for a week, one of my nails broke on the corner underneath my Gelish, I pulled the broken corner of my natural nail off and my Gelish still stayed in tact!! I know for a fact OPI wouldnt stay in tact x

Just to complicate things more...

Gelish
+ extensive colour range, close to 100 colours, including effects
+ very durable, acetone resistant topcoat
-/+ sold at Sally easy to get, but looks less professional

OPI
+ good and growing colour (42?) range with iconic colours known to clients, available as RNP
+ very easy removal
- some colours stain

Between Gelish and OPI, in your case, I'd lean towards OPI since you already have a client base that knows it, there is the retail opportunity and presumably you already have a relationship with your OPI distributor.

Arghh! You're not helping! :) too many things to consider . . .

Hi,

Id go for Gelish all the way.
I did a thread about them recently:
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/185106-gelish-vs-opi-gelcolor-verdict.html

I found OPI chipped alot. And even though OPI is very well known I still get alot of customers wanting it. Ive found now ive switched to Gelish ive had more interest x

EDIT: Also Ive had my Gelish on for a week, one of my nails broke on the corner underneath my Gelish, I pulled the broken corner of my natural nail off and my Gelish still stayed in tact!! I know for a fact OPI wouldnt stay in tact x

Actually, you can have what some consider the best of both worlds -OPI colour and Gelish durability. If it's OPI colours they want, you can use Gelish base and top and OPI colours. That is within the manufacturer's instructions for Gelish. Personally, I really like the easy soak off of OPI and wish it were the other way round - that I could use OPI base and top with Gelish colours!

Actually, you can have what some consider the best of both worlds -OPI colour and Gelish durability. If it's OPI colours they want, you can use Gelish base and top and OPI colours. That is within the manufacturer's instructions for Gelish. Personally, I really like the easy soak off of OPI and wish it were the other way round - that I could use OPI base and top with Gelish colours!

When you say OPI colour, do you mean OPI Gelcolor or polish? Sorry if it's a silly question x

When you say OPI colour, do you mean OPI Gelcolor or polish? Sorry if it's a silly question x

OPI GelColor. Not a silly question, I should have been clearer.

This is really simple....... stock them both!!! :D

I love both of them and my clients do too. Well worth getting an LED Lamp though. It all depends on your budget, you won't be disappointed with either product.

I only use CND prep and removal products etc though, they just cannot be beaten for quality.

I stock gelish and opi gelcolor and longevity wise, neither have been better or worse for me, I've found that it has been dependant on the client. I prefer opi as I love the colours but that's just a personal opinion x

Latest posts

Back