Gelish problem ;(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmo

Reaction score
Just did a ladies nails, did the foundation, dry brushed then when I put the colour on it kept pulling back from the free edge??
I've never had it happen before, came out not happy with how they looked :(
What was wrong?

Just did a ladies nails, did the foundation, dry brushed then when I put the colour on it kept pulling back from the free edge??
I've never had it happen before, came out not happy with how they looked :(
What was wrong?

Did you cap your free edge with foundation too hun? x

Yes, her nails were quite short, unless I wiped the cap off when I wiped the excess off the skin.
Came out gutted cos I've never had any probs before :(

Yes, her nails were quite short, unless I wiped the cap off when I wiped the excess off the skin.
Came out gutted cos I've never had any probs before :(

If you suspect that's what happened maybe that was it then, do you use an orangewood stick for your cleanup? The only other thing to perhaps make it shrink would be too thick an application, someone else had problems with using a uv lamp, although NH say they are ok to use for curing, x

Wear her nails right in the light ?
the only time I had something like that happen was on toes that curled under the light was not hitting the free edge enough to cure .

maybe her hands wear not totaly under ?

I've had that happen with a too heavy of application. Try laying down a bit thinner layer.

I found this when i began using gelish, on some colours the colour does really shrink back at the free edge (especially the dark ones) make sure you really dry brush foundation then after you've finished appying the first coat quickly cap all the edges again before going in the lamp and then it's fine, luckily it doesn't seem to happen on all colours xxx

I did 3 more sets afterwards using darker colours and never had any problems!?
Think I must've wiped the cap off! Will be more cautious next time x

Sorry dont want to sound silly but is dry brushing just where you use a gel brush to wipe the foundation base coat? :rolleyes:

Sorry dont want to sound silly but is dry brushing just where you use a gel brush to wipe the foundation base coat? :rolleyes:

Yes thats right :lol:

Do you cure the foundation then dry brush it?

You want to apply the foundation very thin, brushing it into the nail, avoiding the side walls and capping the free edge, then cure. After cured use a gel brush and dry brush over the cured foundtion coat before applying the colour :lol:

Dry brushing (or patting) the foundation layer after curing helps the colour coat to stay put.
If you look you will see the foundation later is shiny when cured & matt after dry brushing/patting, colour will stick better to a non shiny surface.

I also pat the free edge when dry brushing.

I also do this with Bio Sculpture as it really helps to stop the dark colours bleeding

I have had this problem all last week. I had to keep going back to recap and it still was disappearing sometimes. Maybe I did not dry brush the free edge.

xx

After cured use a gel brush and dry brush over the cured foundtion coat before applying the colour :lol:

Is this essential in the Gelish application? It's not on my Gelish instruction DVD :o or manual. I have only used very light colours so far with Gelish and not had any problems, so is this stage only really needed for dark colours? xx

If the colour is wiping off the free edge then they are putting fingers to far into the lamp and its not being cured properly so keep your eye on that. With regards to the dry brushing I find it much easier and less hassle to use a gel wiping sponge which Harmony sell and they are very cheap. The sponge takes excess foundation away and roughs the left foundation surface which then allows that colours to stay on better.

Latest posts

Back