Gelish removal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sophie1

Reaction score
I just had a client and it took me 40 mins to remove her Gelish that I had applied three weeks ago. I have noticed that it is gradually taking longer and longer to remove Gelish on all my clients. Why could this be?

I'm really dreading any removals at the moment. I'm doing a Shellac course on Saturday as I have heard removal is much quicker along with other benefits. Loosing faith in Gelish which is such a shame as I have invested so much in it.

What's your method for doing it? I usually buff the nail then wrap them , put hands in small plastic bags and use heat, either mitts or p–wax , and they are off in about 10 minutes :) xxx

Sent from my GT-P6800 using SalonGeek mobile app

i buff the "top it off" then use a little piece of cotton full of aceton, then wrap it with foil. be careful the piece if cotton needs to be extra thin or else the aceton won't reach the nail. Other technicians instead of cotton use medical gauze for this perpose. I allow 10 minutes and never had a problem.

All the brands do start to take a bit longer after 2 weeks but only by a few minutes, not 40. They also take longer if the base coat is thick.

Are you buffing through the top coat thoroughly? This doesn't get removed by acetone so you need to break it down.

Perhaps look at your base coat thickness (it should be VERY thin) and the amount of buffing you're doing. It's OK to use a 180 grit to do this.

Hope that helps? Gellish should only take 15mins to remove.

Do you recommend and retail cuticle oil to your clients ?
Regular use of cuticle oil helps with speedier removal.

Thanks for all your replies. I have been using Gelish for a year and a half now and not had this problem. I was taught not to buff the top coat but I will Definately try this if this is what you all recommend. My removal has always taken approx 25 mins so something has clearly never been right! I did my training with nail harmony and buy all products direct from them.

I sell cuticle oil and I also recommend clients use but some just don't listen. I'm currently reading Dough Schoons book and I have learnt so much more already about the nail structure etc than I ever did at college. I will be relaying some of what I have learnt to my clients so they understand the importance.

Thanks again for all your help x

Buffing off is definitely one of the important steps for Gellish. Bit naughty they didn't teach you that!! You're going to have a nice surprise when you next remove now :)

Also light buff free edge to completely take shine away from TIO and it should take no more than 15 mins xx

Leely

Personally I have never buffed with gelish. I remove by splitting a round cotton pad in half (pulling apart from the middle so it's thinner), soak in acetone and wrap in foil. I've never needed heat or anything else. It never takes longer than ten mins. Are you making sure your pad is completely soaked? (not dripping but well covered) and is it definitely not slipping off when you're wrapping the nails? Otherwise by all means try buffing, hope you get it sorted :)

I buff the top coat, wrap with hair dressers foil with a thin cotton round saturated with the nail harmony remover then I set my timer for 10 minutes, put on a heated pad (not the electric one) and after 10 I start removing. Most of the time it's all completely removed in this time and if not, I rewrap and leave it for another 5.

I do agree that you should buff the top coat especially if you've added art, glitter etc..and have used more than one top coat because of this. It really does speed it up. And, as others have said..keep your base coat super thin.

Are you leaving it longer then 10- 15minutes to soak off? I find if you leave it longer than this it starts to re harden .

How are you applying your foundation? If its too thick it makes removal hard.

And yes if you do leave it too long then the acetone begins to evaporate and the gelish rehardens. I've found that if I leave for 10 minutes and then start removing one by one they remove perfectly. If I leave it for longer then the last nail typically is more difficult to remove and is almost rubbery.

I've personally stopped buffing before removing as it comes off cleaner. I use harmony remover, a small piece of cotton and foil and it comes off beautifully and easily in 10 minutes...most of it slides off with the foil.

I had difficulties at the beginning but thanks to the Geeks on here, they gave me the above advice and I've never looked back. If you leave the foil on too long then it's makes it more difficult.

In winter I place a heated wheat bag, wrapped in a towel.

I offer both Shellac and Gelish, yes Shellac is removed in 8 minutes, Gelish is only 10-12 minutes. :)

I checked with Georgie of NHUK (in case I got it wrong and a few were saying they hadn't been taught the step) and manufacturers instructions are that Gellish should be buffed first. It is also in the manual

If some have found a different way that works for them then that's fine but those having problems need to go back to basics first and work from there

Thanks again to everyone. I'm going to try with my client later today and see how I get on. I was just told in my training that they don't recommend buffing as it takes the same amount of time to buff as it would to leave the soak on for a few extra mins so makes no difference. I did train a year and a half ago so maybe this is not said anymore.

I'm so pleased I posted this question and fingers crossed I notice a difference later! X

I've had to look up this topic as I seem to have clients now coming to me that have had different nail treatments and today was Gellish. I trust I can use CND's nourishing remover and wraps if I want too to remove Gellish? I'll just need to remember to buff them first, unlike Shellac.

Thanks again to everyone. I'm going to try with my client later today and see how I get on. I was just told in my training that they don't recommend buffing as it takes the same amount of time to buff as it would to leave the soak on for a few extra mins so makes no difference. I did train a year and a half ago so maybe this is not said anymore.

I'm so pleased I posted this question and fingers crossed I notice a difference later! X

The buffing has nothing to do with time so its odd a harmony educator would say that indeed. it's because Gelish top it off isn't as permeable as shellac, the acetone needs to be able to make tunnels to break the bonds. This is probably why wearers of both can report Gelish to be harder wearing (it will take a slack approach to after care better than shellac not that this is a good thing)

Latest posts

Back