Gels are not lasting and nail condition has changed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lush lea <3

Reaction score
Hi there nail geeks, I'm after some advice/help pls
I've been doing my moms nails for a while now with no problems, she has ibd gel overlays with a gel polish top. Anyway recently her nails keep splitting and will just not take to the gel I've shortened her nails (such a shame as we got them to a lovely length) and have even tried applying just a gel polish but still they are not lasting her (they either chip or lift) and her nails are now splitting down the nail bed rather than across the free edge???? She takes various medication for blood pressure and some other things but these have never been of any cause before. I'm totally baffled as to why her nail condition has suddenly changed PLEASE help xxx TIA

If you buffed a lot before, then you could have slowly damaged her nail plate. How long have you been doing them to her?
I was under the impression that ibd didn't require any buffing? I could be wrong though. I'm sure some IBD user here will correct me

I recommend she should stay off the gels (overlay or polish for a while), quit the buffing and try a therapy.
IBX can be used under gel polishes, for which I'd say go with shellac (which doesn't need any buffing)
Rxx needs to be applied on natural nails so she'll be bare for about a month. Your choice.

This happened to a client at the salon who got shellac every week even though I advised not to!
She would jump from therapist to therapist... I'm thinking avoiding a tell off lol

I think she needs a break and complete regrow as that sounds serious x

This happened to a client at the salon who got shellac every week even though I advised not to!
She would jump from therapist to therapist... I'm thinking avoiding a tell off lol

I think she needs a break and complete regrow as that sounds serious x
Complete regrowth takes 6 months. Do you think she'll handle it?
I still believe she needs a therapy alongside.

Hi there nail geeks, I'm after some advice/help pls
I've been doing my moms nails for a while now with no problems, she has ibd gel overlays with a gel polish top. Anyway recently her nails keep splitting and will just not take to the gel I've shortened her nails (such a shame as we got them to a lovely length) and have even tried applying just a gel polish but still they are not lasting her (they either chip or lift) and her nails are now splitting down the nail bed rather than across the free edge???? She takes various medication for blood pressure and some other things but these have never been of any cause before. I'm totally baffled as to why her nail condition has suddenly changed PLEASE help xxx TIA

Hi ,

When you come to do her maintenance do you take ALL the gel off ?

x

Hi I tend to just buff down, removing any lifting and the reapplying the hard gel x

Thanks for all your advise ladies, I'm going to apply IBX treatment again I think to get her nails back to a healthy condition [emoji108]

Latest posts

Back