General questions re: UV cured colour coats, answered

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never thought about something being in the bottle! I'll buy another one and then give that a go....thanks!

Can i use my CND Lamp to cure Gelish? Yes

Can i use Shellac Base coat and Gelish on top - No

Can i use Gelish Base Coat with Shellac Colour on top - No it is not advisable to mix systems.

"How much should I charge for Shellac?" (Gelish/Gelicure etc too!)

I don't actually know the answer to this one but it seems to get asked quite often too...perhaps someone could construct a general answer for this?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Do you have any idea why after a week of wear the polish would change colour? I am using Shellac..it's never happened before to any of my clients, but one lady came back after having a light pink..and it was tie dye pink and grey!

She had been on holiday to Egypt, and I assumed it may have been something in the sea/something she did differently over there, but her friend also had them and hers were perfect still.

I'm racking my brains trying to work this out!! Haha.

Thanks

Sam xxxx

Do you have any idea why after a week of wear the polish would change colour? I am using Shellac..it's never happened before to any of my clients, but one lady came back after having a light pink..and it was tie dye pink and grey!

She had been on holiday to Egypt, and I assumed it may have been something in the sea/something she did differently over there, but her friend also had them and hers were perfect still.

I'm racking my brains trying to work this out!! Haha.

Thanks

Sam xxxx

Pretty simple really ... she over-did the sun and the chlorine big time. Both are bleaches and (as has been mentioned many many times on SG) some of the light pinks used that comply with EU regulations do fade under such conditions.

Had the right aftercare advise been given before the client left on holiday the fading could have been avoided. The aftercare advice is available from S2 to support their customers.

"How much should I charge for Shellac?" (Gelish/Gelicure etc too!)

I don't actually know the answer to this one but it seems to get asked quite often too...perhaps someone could construct a general answer for this?

How about "not £10"?

An exact answer is difficult to give because, like all things, rates vary all over the country. A good rule of thumb is 50% more than your current manicure rate. Manicure = £20, shellac = £30.

Silly prices only serve to devalue the product (and the technician themselves). Above all, never, ever enter a price war with the competition. The only people who will win are the clients who will be getting amazing products for peanuts. You wouldn't go and ask someone in Asda to work for nothing, so why should you expect to do so yourself? Yes, £10 may cover the products... but that's not all that it takes to run a business, is it? There are overheards, sundries, insurances, everything that you need to run a business should be costed in to that treatment.

There will always be people who want the cheapest of the cheap with regards beauty/nail treatments; these are not the people you want to have as clients. They are not loyal and as soon as the next cheap offer comes along, they'll be gone before you can say 50% off.

You've trained hard, you've invested in these amazing products; now is the time to reward yourself for that.

Little confused about how the lamps work with Different products. My lamp is from Nail Harmony Gelish but it doesnt cure Shellac. Is this right? I have heard that if i bought a CND Shellac Lamp it would cure both Shellac and Gelish??

Little confused about how the lamps work with Different products. My lamp is from Nail Harmony Gelish but it doesnt cure Shellac. Is this right? I have heard that if i bought a CND Shellac Lamp it would cure both Shellac and Gelish??

You are correct that the nail harmony will not cure shellac.

The gelish product has been confirmed on here that their product will cure under the CND lamp.
The CND lamp is quite a marvel...

It is not bubbling ... you may have bits of contamination in your bottle. Shellac really does not bubble .. I have never seen that happen ever.

Geeg, I have the exact same thing with my Cream Puff. No other colours just this one. It tends to be a lot thicker than the other colours and I do find "bubbles" tend to appear no matter how thin I apply it? It has done it from the very start.

Not sure what causes this in that case?

Please can you tell me what is Dry brushing?

What is Dry brushing?
some gel products recommend that you use a dry brush, after curing the base coat, to remove the excess inhibition layer which helps to stop the colour coat from running onto the side walls. You do not need to do this dry-brushing step with Shellac. :biggrin:

thanks a lot for solving a lot of problems for all of us

Brilliant post! I do love reading things that confirms to me is right! You can't beat constant education :) thankyou xVx

Great post :) x

Can you soak shellac/gel polish from buff off hard gel sculptures or does it have to be buff/filed off?

Question re Shellac training

Can you only train in Shellac via S2? I'm not sure if I read it on here or dreamt it. If so, if a training organisation were to offer training in "Shellac & Icon", am I right in assuming they aren't properly trained? By the way, I'm a newbie but I'm thinking ahead to Shellac!

Last edited:
Question re Shellac training

Can you only train in Shellac via S2? I'm not sure if I read it on here or dreamt it. If so, if a training organisation were to offer training in "Shellac & Icon", am I right in assuming they aren't properly trained? By the way, I'm a newbie starting an L&P course in a couple of weeks but I'm thinking ahead to Shellac!

Genuine Shellac Classes and certificates that allow you to buy the genuine product, are only offered through booking via Sweet Squared 08452106060. Anyone else offering Shellac 'training' not approved by Sweet Squared, is not a genuine source of CND education, products or certificates.

Sweet Squared cover the entire country with Shellac Education so there is no excuse not to get bonefide training from the ones who are going to count in your business.

Last edited:
I used a private training centre to train for my shellac. All correct CND products were used, we were told about fake/imitation products etc.

The training was excellent. And the certificate I gained allows me to order through s2. X

I used a private training centre to train for my shellac. All correct CND products were used, we were told about fake/imitation products etc.

The training was excellent. And the certificate I gained allows me to order through s2. X

A professional manicure qualification is what qualifies you to buy Shellac through S2 NOT a Shellac Certificate, unless you received it from a CND educator.

Neither will you have a genuine Shellac Certificate unless you had Shellac training with a CND Education Ambassador, or Shellac Ambassador. Those two things are set in stone. So please do not confuse others. If you have a genuine Shellac Cert. then you had to have trained with an approved CND ambassador and that training had to have gone through S2 whether or not it was a private academy.

Latest posts

Back