General questions re: UV cured colour coats, answered

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Florence .. shrinkage is caused by using too much. TRUST in the product and stop being so cautious. Just apply it nice and thin; spread it out and go over it again if there is too much product.

Some of you guys really are over thinking what is SO simple. If there appear to be spots then go over it again with your brush until it is nice and smooth before curing!

I don't understand how it could have been too much though as the side wall where I was trying to put it didn't have any colour on it at all, every time I tried to put colour there is shrank back and the spots I did go back over and smooth but the would reappear again. It really seemed like there was something on the nail that was repelling the Shellac in certain areas

I don't understand how it could have been too much though as the side wall where I was trying to put it didn't have any colour on it at all, every time I tried to put colour there is shrank back and the spots I did go back over and smooth but the would reappear again. It really seemed like there was something on the nail that was repelling the Shellac in certain areas

Well I can't help you with what might have been on the nail, I'm sorry. The only time I have ever seen Shellac pull away when applying was when there was too much product at the free edge, and if that happened then the remedy would be to wipe your brush nearly clean of product and go over the surface lightly to pick up and remove excess before curing.

I had this happen to me, after a full manicure, after this happening twice I realised that I must of not peped the nail enough after the manicure, now I know this happened I'm very conscious of it so am extra extra carful to make sure they are clean and dry after a manicure.

I'd say there must of been something on the nail and it wasn't 'clean' enough, that was my problem anyway :)

Geeg, this has just given me one more amazing reason to encourage clients to use Solar Oil - but can you please explain how this works? I just love the science behind the facts! (To be more specific, I am referring to the part about Solar Oil helping Shellac come off easier)

Yes you can.

In the case of Shellac, the product removes much more quickly if the client uses Solar Oil daily as per aftercare instructions. We avoid scraping with Shellac. If every trace of colour does not remove with the wrap (we do not soak Shellac even in the "finger thingies") we just take a gauze pad and wet it with the CND Nourishing Remover and remove any residue as you would polish; a little scrub and it is all gone and no nail damage from scraping.:lol:

Geeg, this has just given me one more amazing reason to encourage clients to use Solar Oil - but can you please explain how this works? I just love the science behind the facts! (To be more specific, I am referring to the part about Solar Oil helping Shellac come off easier)

Solar Oil keeps Shellac in a moisturised and flexible condition which is like it is when first applied. If the product shrinks, becomes brittle and dries out, it is harder for the Nourishing Remover to penetrate it and remove it. Hth

Thanks for the amazing advice, so helpful

what aftercare do you give your clients.. I tell them to use cuticle oil and to not use nails as tools eg peeling cellotape ect. What else do you say for gel nails to make them last as long as possible?
x

Thanks for the amazing advice, so helpful

what aftercare do you give your clients.. I tell them to use cuticle oil and to not use nails as tools eg peeling cellotape ect. What else do you say for gel nails to make them last as long as possible?
x

If you would like to pm me with your email address and your S2 customer number I would be glad to send you my official after care for Shellac -- surprised you have not asked for it before now. That's what good suppliers are for .. to help you with your business needs .. just ASK.

Id like to ask a question, I don't know if im posting in the right thread but iv read all the posts to double check om not re-asking.

I have 2 clients one who has not long had a baby and one who is diabetic. When iv been doing the gel on the nails it is literally lifting and peeling off. All my other clients have had no other problems with the gel on there nails. Could not long having a baby and being diabetic cause the gel not to bond properly?

Im really stuck, iv really tried to research it but nothing is really answering my questions. Thanks in advance

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have been doing shellac for almost a year now and have almost no problems with any clients, however I do a friends nails every now and then and unlike the majority of my clients she always seems to have one/two shellac nails chip or completely peel of after only a couple of days, I know she looks after them as she loves to have her nails done, and I know I am doing the application etc correctly as I do the same as I do for all my clients and as I said they are 9.9 times out of 10 absolutely fine.. Just getting a bit concerned as i dont want a client to think i dont know what im doing or that im not good!! Any suggestions?? :(

I have been doing shellac for almost a year now and have almost no problems with any clients, however I do a friends nails every now and then and unlike the majority of my clients she always seems to have one/two shellac nails chip or completely peel of after only a couple of days, I know she looks after them as she loves to have her nails done, and I know I am doing the application etc correctly as I do the same as I do for all my clients and as I said they are 9.9 times out of 10 absolutely fine.. Just getting a bit concerned as i dont want a client to think i dont know what im doing or that im not good!! Any suggestions?? :(

There will always be clients that just don't suit certain products,; it is possible her problem has nothing to do with your ability but more to do with applying Shellac to the wrong kind of nails. If this were my client, I would use Brisa Lite Smoothing gel beneath the Shellac colour for a bit more stability.

Thank you for your reply, it's just a little disheartening when they don't last because you can't help but think your not doing a good enough job. I have been looking in to the brisa gel but I have seen its bit exactly cheap, do you think it is definitely worth the purchase? And how much extra (if any) would u recommend I charge for using it?
Thanks x

Thank you for your reply, it's just a little disheartening when they don't last because you can't help but think your not doing a good enough job. I have been looking in to the brisa gel but I have seen its bit exactly cheap, do you think it is definitely worth the purchase? And how much extra (if any) would u recommend I charge for using it?
Thanks x

That is where we differ Lol. :biggrin: I never in a million years would think someone's Shellac chipping was something to do with me or my application.

Shellac is going to last best on good strong natural nails that are not abused or interfered with; those are the customers it was made for.

Your clients natural nails may not be strong ... They may flex allot under pressure .. Shellac is not going to last as well for her as for someone else with good strong nails.

It is as important to choose the right client for the Shellac only service ... And if they need something stronger add BL Smoothing gel ... If you find they need something stronger still then use BL Sculpting gel .. It is important to be prescriptive in order to satisfy all clients .... I wouldn't be without any of the entire range. And I'm sorry to differ with you,but I do not think the Brisa Lite gels are at all expensive, in fact quite the reverse .... I think you need to do a little homework and you will see that what I say is true.

Florence, some of the newer colours and new bottles of the older colours behave differently to the original Shellac I have found. The appear thinner and want to shrink back, Lobster Roll being one that springs to mind.

Try this....make sure you are 100% happy that you have dehydrated the nail plate over and underneath the free edge and completely in and around the side walls.
With your base coat, really check your application (colour will only go where base coat has been). It's easy to think that you have covered the nail plate properly at the sides, when if you looked under a magnifying lamp if you have this as your desk lamp, you will see how this may not be the case, especially when trying to get a thin base coat for removal purposes.

Also, when applying the colour if you have a ridge around your outside line, clean your brush off and wipe it over your application to remove the ridge.

I hope some of this helps.

Thanku.
Def help with chipping answer.
As that's my only querie about the gel.
Just some advice on aftercare?
I always mention-
Wearing gloves
Avoid heat
Wipe around nails when putting suncream on
Avoid filing as can break seal. Etc.

But u also say if anything happens within the first week cone back. Shall I say a few days instead of stick to the week?

Because normally the chipping happens at the end of the first week due to brittle nail edge and dryness.

Thanks. Xxx
Sent from my HTC One S using SalonGeek mobile app

It is not bubbling ... you may have bits of contamination in your bottle. Shellac really does not bubble .. I have never seen that happen ever.

No, I have to agree I also only get this 'bubble' effect (I no it's not bubbles but as we've said that's how it looks) only on cream puff.. Surely this can't be a coincidence to both have no problem with any other colours but this one se colour... :S

Hi
I found this really interesting and great tips.

you said about colours bubbling and it's something on the surface, I tend to only get "bubbles" when I use cream puff shellac, no other colours just that one. I know it can come out quite thick so I do make sure that I keep it thin but it still bubbles up on some nails.

Any ideas / tips?

Thanks

Charl

U and me both! Only that one colour.. Surely can not be a coincidence..?

All white polishes including Shellac, contain Titanium which is what makes it white and very opaque and of a thicker consistency.

Thickness when you apply the colour makes it hard to cure completely which is why you need to apply very little and then keep stroking until it is thin and even and no ridges, so the UV can penetrate completely .... If not, wrinkles.

It is no coincidence that thousands are doing the most beautiful French manicures with Shellac ... So practice that thin application and you will too.

Hi there,
I have another idea as for what might have been the cause. I'm speaking from personal experience. It's happened to me twice to have these spots when i apply the first layer of color. And the reason wasn't anything wrong with the pep. It was the fact that my hairdresser coleague was doing a hair streightening on that same clients hair all the while i was removing her Shellac and prepping the nails for reapplication. The heat protecting spray she used (she sprayed each section of hair separetely) found its way to the nails at the moment i was applying the base coat. The problem was that i could not see it and i saw the spots only when i applied the first coat o1f colour. Luckily the second coat covered the spots and everything looked ok. Now that i think about it, the hairdresser must have finished her job by the time i applied the second coat. Had she continued to spray that thing around my table there is no doubt in my mind that the end result would have been a mess. I figured what was happening by the second time this occured with the same client in the same situation.

Since then i make sure all the services that require any sort of spray are done on the chair that is furthest away from my table.
I remember something i heard in one of my favourire crime shows, which is that every scent consist of fine particles and no matter how small they are, they're still there. Remember that fine mist travels long distance. So if you can smell it, that means it's around you no matter how far away the source is.

All sorts of hair sprays, perfumes, body sprays, those battery operated air fresheners that spray on a certain interval of time, if you have any if that around your nail table, it might affect your Shellac or any other gel polish application. Also think about other possible scenarios, like that the air con can blow various things your way and mess up your nails. I know that's a bit far fetched but you can't fight the laws of phisycs.
If you are sure you did everything right with the preparation and you're applying the coats thin but you still have those spots, then look for any other reason. I've noticed that Shellac is most sensitive to external factors like that, so i barely breathe around it.

Sorry for the long post but i thought i'd better explain it clearly in one post than cause more questions afterwards.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I, also have had that pitting look with a couple of current brands from time to time. Why is this?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi lady's I have been a nail technician for a long time and I believe the product will shrink back if the base coat hasn't been applied to the free edge and slightly underneath the tip. The shellac shrinks back to find the base to cure to. Hope that helps.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back