Getting better at lashing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auzz12

Reaction score
Hi
As you may be aware I do eyelashes but I want to get so much better at them I was just wanting ideas how you all got good at them apart from practising did you watch videos etc

Austin x

Hi
As you may be aware I do eyelashes but I want to get so much better at them I was just wanting ideas how you all got good at them apart from practising did you watch videos etc

Austin x

I didn't find any videos that were worth watching, personally, I practiced and lived ate and breathed lashes lol

I chatted to other lashers, studied other lashers work, experimented.......a lot :)

Not sure if that helps but it really is all about experience xx

You could watch videos but jump in and practise practise practise that's the best way to improve and be the best you can IMO HTH x

I agree with the other comments too, just practice practice practice! Experiment with any ideas you have as that is the only way you will find out if somethings going to work or not. X

Hi all, I've been lashing since June and to be honest don't think I'm ever going to get it. I did a set yesterday, the client thought they were fab but I knew they were nothing to shout about. I don't know what size of lash goes on the natural lash, I don't know how to get the shape and isolating is a nightmare. Think I may have to finally admit that lashing isn't for me. I'm not one to quit but at times I just want to cry especially when I come on here and someone's put on a pic of there 1st or 2nd attempt and they look great. Sorry for rant but had to get it off my chest:(( xx

Hey don't be down on yourself!
I have one particular client who is regular and loves her lashes when she leaves but I always feel they could be better. Each time I try something new and try harder still but I never feel satisfied. The rest of my ladies are fine. But I think maybe it's a good thing as it keeps me on my toes and stops me getting complacent!
And most importantly, it shows we care about our work!
So give yourself a break. Keep researching and practicing and it will come.
Lashing isn't easy, that's why it's expensive. It's a real skill that takes time. If it was easy everyone would do it.

Keep your chin up hon, I'm sure you are just being hard on yourself x

Hi all, I've been lashing since June and to be honest don't think I'm ever going to get it. I did a set yesterday, the client thought they were fab but I knew they were nothing to shout about. I don't know what size of lash goes on the natural lash, I don't know how to get the shape and isolating is a nightmare. Think I may have to finally admit that lashing isn't for me. I'm not one to quit but at times I just want to cry especially when I come on here and someone's put on a pic of there 1st or 2nd attempt and they look great. Sorry for rant but had to get it off my chest:(( xx

Don't give up who did you train with? Give them a call and explain how your feeling they may offer you a mentoring session but more importantly practice practice practice :)

Totally agree with sjmand.... You need to cut yourself some slack, and relax while you practice. Just because you can't do the same as someone else on their second set only means you have to fight for what you want a little harder. Don't give up! The more you have to work for it, the sweeter it will be in the long run. Hang in there!

Hi

Austin x

Ask lots of questions. Watch someone who is experienced work. You will be surprised at how much you can learn from watching. Practice at least one set a day... Consistency will go a very long way.

Don't be disheartened.

It took me about 6 months before I was happy with my sets and even now, years later, I still sometimes feel disappointed. But wanting to always be better is what will make you a great lasher.

Go back to your trainer for some advice or ask if you can watch them work. If this isn't possible, book a few hours with a mentor.

But above all, give yourself time. Lashing is definitely a skill that you learn over time. No-one became a great lasher in a day.

Good Luck

Im going to lean lashes soon amd although i hope ill grasp it, im prepared for the potential that i may syruggle with it. Guess if it waa that easy it wouldnt be respected as a skill.

Best of luck with it.

Thank you all for your replies. I know I need to keep practicing and I'm always grateful when someone books an app for lashes but at the same time I get so nervous. I may contact the salon where I trained but to be honest looking back, I don't rate the training whatsoever. I know more now than what I got taught on the day. All we were taught was to isolate, dip the lash in adhesive and apply, to make sure lash is on, straight and not to be touching skin. Nothing was ever said about the size of donor lash on the natural lash I.e if I was doing 8's 10's & 12's do I put the 12's on the longer lashes and the 8's on the shortest. I'm thinking of practicing on my hubby, the days i have no one booked in and he has agreed to this. I'm going to give it another few weeks then I may call someone and ask if I can watch them doing lashes. Would this be ok to ask? Do you think they will agree to this because I know I hate anyone watching me. My hand tends to shake even more lol. Thanks again for all your kind words, made me feel a bit better about my lashing:)) xx

I'm going to give it another few weeks then I may call someone and ask if I can watch them doing lashes. Would this be ok to ask? Do you think they will agree to this because I know I hate anyone watching me. My hand tends to shake even more lol. xx

I guess it depends who you ask (and how you ask them). If one of my close competitors phoned and asked if they could come along and watch me lash they would get a very poilte "No"! LOL

However, if someone called me to book a mentoring session for a few hours that would be different.

Why not check with training companies in your area to ask if they offer this service?

I think you may have answered your own questions here :)
You aren't happy with the training you were provided and if you aren't trained well then it's not your fault if you aren't up to speed yet!
I would still contact your trainer as they should ensure you were adequately trained but I also think you should maybe look into further training.
I love lashing and feel competent but when I can afford to I will persue further training as different people teach in different ways and if I want to stand out over close competitors I need to keep ahead and no training is wasted.
I say this in lots of my posts but reading other threads on here is sooo beneficial. I've learned probably 10X more from here than my training. I take the great advice off here and use that when I practice. I learn new stuff everyday!
It's great that hubby wants to help you, you're very lucky to have that support :)
Good luck, keep practicing and feel free to ask any questions as that in my opinion is what our lil geek family is for xxx

Sorry to jump on this thread but would anyone recommend a training head, I have afew models done and afew lined up but I want to practise every night until I can build up speed.

I feel confident with my technique just the speed side!

Sorry to jump on this thread but would anyone recommend a training head, I have afew models done and afew lined up but I want to practise every night until I can build up speed.

I feel confident with my technique just the speed side!

Absolutely!! It helps with your speed for sure. We advise our newbie lash students to do at least 30 minutes on a mannequin the day they are going to do a set. It gets the brain in gear for the hand eye coordination they will need for that set.

I guess it depends who you ask (and how you ask them). If one of my close competitors phoned and asked if they could come along and watch me lash they would get a very poilte "No"! LOL

However, if someone called me to book a mentoring session for a few hours that would be different.

Why not check with training companies in your area to ask if they offer this service?

Yeah I suppose you're correct elliebee. I'm doing nail extension training in feb the same place as I did my gel and spray tan training. I have got pretty close to the girls there and they are so so nice. If I can speak to the trainer I think she might consent to a mentoring session. I can only ask but if they do say no then I will contact the place where I did my initial training. There aren't a lot of training venues in my area so if this didnt work out then I would have to travel out of town. It's amazing how you feel once you get it off your chest...lol:))xx

I took to lashes "like a duck to water" lol and offered them to my clients within only a few weeks. However, there have been treatments that I have trained in that I CANNOT do and will not offer (despite HOUR AND HOURS of practice) - threading for one, and still, after over 10 years in the industy, a good (by my high standards) french manicure!

Practice, practice and practice some more! If, after all that practice you still are not good enough - dont offer it as a service. We can't all be great at everthing!

IMO only offer services that you are excellent at, and forget the ones that fall below your own standards. Others may disagree, but IMO master of a few excellent services is much better than "jack of loads of bad services" iykwim.

I took to lashes "like a duck to water" lol and offered them to my clients within only a few weeks. However, there have been treatments that I have trained in that I CANNOT do and will not offer (despite HOUR AND HOURS of practice) - threading for one, and still, after over 10 years in the industy, a good (by my high standards) french manicure!

Practice, practice and practice some more! If, after all that practice you still are not good enough - dont offer it as a service. We can't all be great at everthing!

IMO only offer services that you are excellent at, and forget the ones that fall below your own standards. Others may disagree, but IMO master of a few excellent services is much better than "jack of loads of bad services" iykwim.

This is very good advice.... Just don't give up until you are sure.:hug:

I agree too, but I would also say its still very early stages and you can't always expect it to come immediately so take a step back.
Don't feel like you have to offer it yet..it doesn't matter if you 'practice as a hobby' for a year. If it means you get to where u want to be it doesn't matter how long it takes :)

Latest posts

Back