Getting really confused between VTCT courses and 2 day VTCT courses

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lisa.sharrock

Reaction score
Can anyone help?

I'm looking into doing a Swedish massage course and have contacted local college who do a VTCT 16 week (3 hours per week) course for about £335.00 which seems great value.

However I'm a little confused as you can do a 3 or 4 day VTCT at a local beauty salon. Now apart from the fact it's about 4 days less than the standard college VTCT, what else is different??

These are the qualifications for the VTCT in college
, however I already have my NVQ 2 & 3 and VTCT in Nails so surely I wouldn't need to go over health and safety in the salon or client care and communication in beauty?

UC 30491 Health and Safety in the salon

UC30424 Provide Body Massage

UC 30468 Client care and communication in beauty- related industries

ps. this is only to do mini massage treatments rather than very in depth sports type massage.

I too have been looking at this. If they're both VTCT and the same level as well then I'd thought they are same. 12 weeks but only 3 hours so 36 hours so that is just over 4 full days.. So not much difference between the hours of the courses when you add it up.. But check the level and if certificate or diploma!

I too have been looking at this. If they're both VTCT and the same level as well then I'd thought they are same. 12 weeks but only 3 hours so 36 hours so that is just over 4 full days.. So not much difference between the hours of the courses when you add it up.. But check the level and if certificate or diploma!

Our local college VTCT is 16 weeks, so I'd say it's the equivalent of a 5 day course. Really don't know what to do to be honest.

I know so confusing! Also I want to do head massage but as you say two of the modules are exactly the same!! Argh x

If these courses have exactly the same title (ie level 3 body massage) they are exactly the same albeit 16wks or 4 days. Private training centres generally do it in less hours but class sizes are smaller so more 1-1, you normally go for a few days, go off and practice, then go back for an assessment. Xx

If these courses have exactly the same title (ie level 3 body massage) they are exactly the same albeit 16wks or 4 days. Private training centres generally do it in less hours but class sizes are smaller so more 1-1, you normally go for a few days, go off and practice, then go back for an assessment. Xx

Oooh totally forgot about class sizes. Thanks for pointing that out. Not thinking properly.

Please note main differences in Qualification are:
1. End loaded exams

• train, then at the end do exams.
  • repeat the whole course to gain qualification.
2. Continuous assessment

• train in each module one at a time, then be assessed
  • move on when your ready
  • repeat modules if needed to gain more confidence

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Just for those who are interested in starting a new career. Be aware of the Qualifications Available and how they will work for you.

VTCT (Vocation training Charitable Trust)
· Started in 1962
· 850 centres
· Awarding over 100,000 certifications
· Recognised in Over 100 Countries.
· Continuos assessment based, Working on real clients through out your Training and exams.
· On the National Framework of Qualifications Ireland (Means all of there qualifacations are equal to the others and vice versa, no employer can say one is better than the other if they are on this NFQI

ITEC
· Started in In 1973 when it became known as ITEC.
· 38,000 Certifications
· Recognised in 38 countries
· On the National Framework of Qualifications Ireland (Means all of there qualifacations are equal to the others and vice versa, no employer can say one is better than the other if they are on this NFQI
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]CIBTAC[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Established in 1977[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]200 centres[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Recognised in 22 countries[/FONT]

CIDESCO
· [FONT=&quot]In 31 countries worldwide.[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Since 1957 the qualification has set standards [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]There are over 230 schools around the world[/FONT]
· Not Recognised on NFQI, Many countries do not recognise this as an Industry Standard. They are a private Awarding body and so hence have they’re own standards. It is up to your employer to recognise it![FONT=&quot][/FONT]
· Have to gain 600 salon hours after you pass your exams before a diploma is given[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

This is why regulation of the industry would help! Unfortunately there is nothing to distinguish from the short courses and the longer ones when you'd come out with exactly the same qualification.

I would go for the longest course you can realistically go for. At least you know you'll be getting more hands on practise under the eyes of your tutors. Practise makes perfect, and builds your confidence.

Latest posts

Back