getting staff

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buttons

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I could possibly be on the move again with my salon. Finally a perfect salon no more making do.

My dilema is staff. Currently a 'friend' works self employed in my salon she pays £50 a week plus 20%. I was quite small when she started after just having her baby and wanted her to have a flexible job to earn a few pennies. To be honest was a big help for me too as spend most my days tied to my desk!

I supply absolutely everything from products to marketing a tea and coffee.

The salon is getting busier all the time and she pretty much has her own room and pretty much all of the treatments that arent nail enhancements ( i'm tied to them most the time as she's not trained in enhancements)

I felt for a while she's getting a fantastic deal, now with a move possibly on the way i feel i have to stop being soft and change to deal. My problem is what? i know hair dressers rent chairs for around 50%, would you be happy with that or a bit less or more, advice needed thankyou.

I also wanting to get a better skin care range, maybe dermalogica, use priadara currently. So this will put the cost up too.

Your opinions will be greatly apreciated

xxx

you need to think objectivly about how the business is going to change, how it affects you, her and the cost of things. Then you need to sit down with her and explain the business is growing and in order for it to be successful certain things need to change. Discuss with her how much ideally you need to charge her for using your premises and wether or not she can do it, try to come to an agreement. If she can't then explain she may have to find somewhere else. It's your business and your money, be strong, look out for number 1!!

hi sweety

i'm like you too soft for this business world, but you have to be strong this is your business. What do you have to loose nothing. I used to have self employed staff and charged them 30% on what they made I thought it was fine until they stop writing down on their cash sheets what they have done, & decide not to come in.

Why not employ someone, from college or something or couple of part-time staff that way you do feel you can show them how's boss (because you are).

You skincare why not try Matis, I have used this product for 7 years and the clients love it, the help you get off the reps are fab, I have made very good friends with mine and she is always willing to give me advice on products selling, come to open evenings that i have at the salon to take about matis all FREE.

Give them a ring, hope this helps good luck.
xxx

hi sweety

i'm like you too soft for this business world, but you have to be strong this is your business. What do you have to loose nothing. I used to have self employed staff and charged them 30% on what they made I thought it was fine until they stop writing down on their cash sheets what they have done, & decide not to come in.

Why not employ someone, from college or something or couple of part-time staff that way you do feel you can show them how's boss (because you are).

You skincare why not try Matis, I have used this product for 7 years and the clients love it, the help you get off the reps are fab, I have made very good friends with mine and she is always willing to give me advice on products selling, come to open evenings that i have at the salon to take about matis all FREE.

Give them a ring, hope this helps good luck.
xxx

I have to agree Matis products are amazing, i've been using them for 3 years and i've not found anything better. Thier new corrective response cream was just in the magazine Essentials and they gave it 5/5!! Fab!! However...the company that distribute Matis in the UK are not so great, they have been quite unreliable unfortunatly!

i definately think you should employ a therapist that way you have total control. then you could give them an incentive like if they sell ex amount of
products they receive a percentage and the same with treatments. hope all go's well for you whatever you decide.

i have come to the decision i would like to employ a full time therapist was thining around the £6 an hour rate plus commision. NOt sure on com rates. What is the norm? x

at a small salon i used to get basic plus 10% of all treatments and 10% of all products - at the large spa I have just finished at I got basic plus 12.5% of treatments and 10% of all products.

Hope this helps

becki x

i have come to the decision i would like to employ a full time therapist was thining around the £6 an hour rate plus commision. NOt sure on com rates. What is the norm? x

commission on retail sales is usually at 10%, however, i used to work at a health spa and the commission on retail sales there was 20%. You could also offer commission on treatments, say if the the therapist made over £800 per month ( or whatever amount you decide) they would get 10% commission back, that way it gives the therapist incentive to get clients rebooking.

Latest posts

Back