Gigi's Ruby Red Slipper Stiletto Step by Step

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
Gigi's ‘Ruby Red Slipper’ Stiletto Step by Step ... I hope you enjoy it.

To get this scintillating Ruby Red Slipper effect, blend equal parts of the Mosaic Spanish Tile,Metro Sin City, and the Designer Nails Red Polymer Glitter in a clear mixing jar.

Step 1
Prep, apply, and blend your tips (Clear Velocity is recommended for its dramatic curves and since it’s clear, you can see the texture on the underside of the nail).
To achieve the sexy stiletto shape; cut the corners of the tip at a forty five degree angle with curved cuticle scissors and shape with an abrasive.

43ruby_slippers_step1.jpg

Step 2
With a medium wet mix ratio, place your bead in Zone 1 and gently push upward to one side to begin forming one half of your smile line.
43ruby_slippers_step_2.jpg

Step 3

Gently push the other side up and outward. Work evenly from side to side. Avoid overworking one side of the nail as the other side may start to set up and make it more difficult to perfect.
43ruby_slippers_step_3.jpg

Step 4

Tuck the corners of your smile in and then walk along the smile line with the flattened flags of your brush to ensure a thin and even edge.
43ruby_slipper_step_42.jpg

Step 5

To get the sharpest smile possible, drain any excess monomer from your brush and gently tuck the smile line in to perfect any uneven or rough edges.

Apply a thin coat of Perfect Colour Clear over Zone 1 to prevent buffing into the Designer Nail's Red Polymer Glitter.
43ruby_slipper_step_5.jpg

Step 6

Apply a medium sized bead of Perfect Colour Pink to Zone 2. Butt the bead up to your Zone 1 and taper down to Zone 3 to ensure that the apex is properly placed halfway between the cuticle line and the extension edge.
43ruby_slipper_step_6.jpg

Step 7
Apply a small bead of Perfect Colour Pink to Zone 3. Ensure your brush is at a steep angle to taper the bead down to the natural nail plate without leaving a ledge behind. Always ensure you leave a tiny free edge between the enhancement and the clients’ skin.
43ruby_slipper_step_7.jpg

Step 8
With a Kanga Abrasive, perfect the shape of the nail paying particular close attention to the points created along the lower arch that were created when cutting the stiletto shape into the tip.
43ruby_slipper_step_8.jpg

Step 9

Buff and smooth the surface with the Koala buffer paying close attention to the positioning of the apex. Slather the nail in SolarOil and then buff with the specially treated 1200 grit side of the Koala to remove any surface scratches.
43ruby_slipper_step_9.jpg

Step 10

Remove any free standing oil with a touch of Scrubfresh and then buff the nail to a permanent high gloss shine with the patented Girlfriend Buffer.
43ruby_slipper_step_10.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Whenever I visit Creative nail design I'm alwayse amaysed by the amount of people who wear stiletto nails.( bearing in mind how impracticle they are) Having seen them on people and having read your article it seems prety sraight forward but no one ever asks for them so i never get the opertunity to practice them.

Well recently i talked a clent into them (she said do what you want ) so I did( don't you just love thoose clients that give you free reign) anyway I set about applying and blending tips ( in in your step by step this whole process is covered by one step) well I files and filed and blended and shaped and no matter how thin and lovely I made one getting the next one to look the same was just trial and error and then i like the look of that one more so had to go back and file the others and this continued for about 20 mins of blending tips untill I was happy with them. when they were finished they looked fab ( but as a first attempt I guess there is alwayse room for improvemnet) I just wondered if you had any hints or tips or in fact tricks up your sleeve that would help me perfect the art of the flawless stilleto??????????

Thank you in advance for your time and advice

Martin :D

Hi Martin

I agree with you 100% here, when I try stillettos it takes such a long time to file the tips to perfection as the tip cutters cut em square. I always cut the corners off before I start and the try to file at a consistent 45 degree angle on all tips.

I did a 1-1 with Antony Buckley and he demonstrated a stilletto on me and he made it look so easy. When the tip is on and blended I think the shape I'm looking for is like a bishop's mitre...but that might just be my catholic education !!

Keep practicing, I do!!

Have you checked out the tutorial "Perfect Form - It's all a Matter of Degree"???

If you want consistency, then it is a good one to read.

I checked out the perfect form it made a lot of sence thanks for that, I do most of what it says on there anyway it was just that one off stilettos really through me and like, the other reply said keep practicing I would if anyone wanted stilletos but thoose clients are few and far between.
Anyway thanks again
Martin

hi im learnig to the stilletto aswelll. im doing my creative foundation course just now and the teacher showed us how to do them. but it takes ages to get them all perfect i think. I think cutting them would take less time too, so that is a good idea. What i do is file at an angle but dont over file then go on to the other side then meet in the middle. thta way you are getting an even sides.

I have to say I'm not a big fan of pointy nails. Is there a very big market for these stillettos?

I did some ruby slippers last night and I wish I read this first as I didn't put a clear layer ontop of my red glitter before going onto zone 2 and 3. I did it afterwards.

i;m not a of pointed nail but your work is marvelous.

Is it me or are the pictures bigger?!?!
I didn't use to like the stiletto shape, but I must say it ahs slooooowly grown on me. Looking at this tutorial confirms this. The red looks so nice and the smile lines are inspiring. I wish this was done using gel.:)

What glitter product is that is lovely?

Any chance we can get the pictures back on the site for this step by step, there is nothing here anymore :(

I agree! Can you please put the pictures back up....Thank you!

How on earth I missed this tutorial! Definately trying this one tomorrow...thanks Geeg :hug:

It seems funny now looking at these short stilettos, when these days people are making them so impossibly long! But when I did these images using Samantha as my model, no one had ever seen a sharp pointed nail before. I think I did these almost ten years ago lol! How things change. I in fact sculpt
stilettos normally but I think Scratch magazine asked me to do these using tips.

Latest posts

Back